General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel or Hemi HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel or Hemi HELP!!

Guys, Tomorrow will be the day of either a 2006, 1500 LWB,auto,5spd trans, 4X4, 3.92axle, white, SLT G Package, tow package, QuadCab, Hemi w/mds,36 gallon fuel cell- - - After everything is said and done $27,760! Payment around $470!!! And I keep my bass boat that I use MABEY once a month! thats a $285 boat payment and a $60 month insurance payment!

OR

2006 SLT 2500, 4X4, Quad Cab LWB, Auto, 3.73 gears, Charcole or Kakie, tow mirrors, Cummins, tow package, 36 gallon fuel cell you know! After everything, which includes the bassboat being traded, and my Durango, $42,000 and some change??????? I will have about $8000 owed on the boat!! Durango gets paid off/traded in for?? Payment around $600

I have the Hemi right now to test drive over night. I really like the new suspension, and the interiors. This thing rides like a caddy, and has good power (for the small things not to exceed 8,000 pounds). I'm really beating my head on this one. I was driving it to work tonight and saw 2 new Cummins and felt small and un-important. Really, the Cummins is addictive. I really feel depressed while driving the gasser, but not so sure that I want to get rid of the boat. The main reason to lose the boat is to lose the 15 years that I financed it for.

?????? Help, talk some since into me!!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isn't even gonna get an answer from me!
Good luck brother! It's your money!!
Cheers
Mike
###
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Guys, Tomorrow will be the day of either a 2006, 1500 LWB,auto,5spd trans, 4X4, 3.92axle, white, SLT G Package, tow package, QuadCab, Hemi w/mds,36 gallon fuel cell- - - After everything is said and done $27,760! Payment around $470!!! And I keep my bass boat that I use MABEY once a month! thats a $285 boat payment and a $60 month insurance payment!

OR

2006 SLT 2500, 4X4, Quad Cab LWB, Auto, 3.73 gears, Charcole or Kakie, tow mirrors, Cummins, tow package, 36 gallon fuel cell you know! After everything, which includes the bassboat being traded, and my Durango, $42,000 and some change??????? I will have about $8000 owed on the boat!! Durango gets paid off/traded in for?? Payment around $600

I have the Hemi right now to test drive over night. I really like the new suspension, and the interiors. This thing rides like a caddy, and has good power (for the small things not to exceed 8,000 pounds). I'm really beating my head on this one. I was driving it to work tonight and saw 2 new Cummins and felt small and un-important. Really, the Cummins is addictive. I really feel depressed while driving the gasser, but not so sure that I want to get rid of the boat. The main reason to lose the boat is to lose the 15 years that I financed it for.

?????? Help, talk some since into me!!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=bekim]This isn't even gonna get an answer from me!
Good luck brother! It's your money!!
Cheers
Mike
Why???? I know that I would be happier with the Cummins, but I'm not really sure that I want to get rid of the boat???
Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Scrap the idea of a new truck and get a good used one. Lower your payments to $250 tops. Keep the boat and make double payments and pay it off early, then save your money, and buy real estate. It goes up in value, not down.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

Used.

Or even better, used and modified. ;S

Honestly, why buy new just to loose $10,000 when you drive off the lot? Get some super cherry and well maintained older truck, and go in style. You have this website to help with any problems you may encounter.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:07 PM

All I can say is I'm happy as a puppy with two tails with my Hemi powered 2500 towing our 10,040 lb 5th wheel around the southeast. No Rockies. But I've already owned four Cummins powered Rams and got the "gotta have it" out of my system. Sounds like you still have the "gotta have it" running through your mind. I can't sleep when I have the "gotta have it" going on so you kinda know what my answer is. Decide what you want and if it's feasible, that's what will make you happy. I believe all male humans should own at least one Cummins powered Ram in their life time. Maybe five! Sounds like you like the Hemi but want the Cummins. You'll like the Cummins. The Dodge/Cummins is like the Harley Davidson of pickup trucks. You'll be proud.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 PM

Get the Hemi, sell the boat at the end of summer, trade the Hemi in on a new 07 Cummins in December and start looking for a boat.

Rick
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Scrap the idea of a new truck and get a good used one. Lower your payments to $250 tops. Keep the boat and make double payments and pay it off early, then save your money, and buy real estate. It goes up in value, not down.
A wise man!
NEVER buy something you cannot afford! You'll regret it every payment!!
Mike
###
Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Lightbulb

Thanks for the Wise Information on buying a cheaper truck. Man, I'm really stressing out about this one. I have had 3 Cummins and driving the Hemi is Fun. BUT- - - - - EVERYDAY I come on this board and it makes me want another Diesel so darn bad. I lost all three of my last trucks due to Wants- - -must haves- - - -and yes I'm still young. Well 24, and I have 2 Cummins in the Family that are avaliable at anytime that I need them. Its just that I have this Durango that gets 10 mpg pulling the boat, that cant pull my dumpo trailer, or Skid Steer, or anything over 5,000 pounds!

I have crunched the numbers and the Cummins will be cheaper in the long run. Insurance is cheaper on the Cummins than it is on the Hemi.?????

Another reason for me doing this is because I owe a substantial amount of money on my CC and the Dodge Dealership is going to pay that off with the amount of the Durango$$ and then apply that back to the loan, + take off another $2000 for the money left over from the Durango. That will take the never get paid off CC, to 5 years and clear. When the wife goes back to work then we will get another boat. IF i go the Cummins route

Thanks Everyone that chimed in!!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 PM

Debt is bad. Saving is good.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Banned

If you really want a Cummins to play around with, First Generations are still the coolest Cummins of all time and you can find a good one for under $3,000...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Smooshy
Debt is bad. Saving is good.
Yea, but for some reason I just can't grasp that concept. I was debt free for 3 whole days and then I remodeled my house------25,000 later and now !

I love the 2nd Gens------01, HO, 6sp, LWB, QC, 4x4, = still to pricey for that year!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:01 PM

Buy an older one. 03's are getting cheap and its the "newer" style front end. Get a manual if you can and it should be trouble free. I have pretty low maintaining fees and I have an auto. I just change the oil and beat the tar out of it.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:32 AM

get the Cummins. And no offense, but where are you buying your truck for 42,000? Do you not know hot to bargain? I bought a 2006 2500 Cummins, Automatic, 4 door, black, tow package, front bucket seats, off-road package, 4x4 for $34,400 (before TT&L). That is brand new and they threw in a free bedliner. Dont look at the sticker and say "okay that's how much I can pay". Say you can only afford 33 or 34 and they WILL sell you the truck.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:34 AM

oh and me personally, i would never sell my bassboat for a truck. either make it work or make the sacrifice. I also fish about 2-3 times a week.

Quick Reply: Diesel or Hemi HELP!!