General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Exhaust Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Exhaust Smell?

Why does my exhaust smell like crap, then a semi will have that usual diesel smell, and my buddy with an '07 smells kind of like honey and filth?

Also if I'm driving down the road, I can usually smell if a diesel is in front of me - has that "usual" smell.

But mine smells terrible and burns my eyes.

Cause of straight pipe?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Yeah, the straight pipe definitely makes it stinkier. Other than the sound, that's the next thing I noticed right after I put on the straight pipe. I think it's sulphates that give it that stink.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM

yeah i noticed it with mine its does stink, but i think its better then the 03 and newer that kinda smell like a propane engine
Old 05-29-2008, 11:07 PM
GFB

The few times the wind was blowing the right direction and I could smell mine at a stop sign I thought it smelled just like regular diesel exhaust. Not sure what your problem is. Try putting a gallon of cinnamon oil in your tank. That'll make it smell better.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

yeah, my 12v's have always smelled sweet (straight piped)

and my early '04 smells good too!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:26 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Oh the real problem is you are not paying enough for your fuel. You must be burning the cheap stuff.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Why does my exhaust smell like crap, then a semi will have that usual diesel smell, and my buddy with an '07 smells kind of like honey and filth?

Also if I'm driving down the road, I can usually smell if a diesel is in front of me - has that "usual" smell.

But mine smells terrible and burns my eyes.

Cause of straight pipe?
Nope. Injector spray pattern and injection timing make the most difference.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"Injector spray pattern and injection timing make the most difference."

Then mine must be doing just fine, cause it's strait piped and i'd like to have some cologne that smells like my small puff of black smoke at each crank.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Nope. Injector spray pattern and injection timing make the most difference.
So you think that it being a 12v with the off center bowl and my timing advance might be the answer?

Actually I've never smelled that "normal smell" from any 12v.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Mine stinks when I put Rotella T in the crankcase. I put some Mobile 1 in there once and it smelled totally different.
I like the Rotella T smell better.
The oil and/or additives you run will change the smell quite dramatically. Have you smelled the exhaust on a Bio-D engine? Like French Fries huh?

Well, that's where the smells come from... all the crap that's in the cylinder that gets lit on fire.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is just like the OP the exhaust makes my eyes water instantly. My theory is that my pump is just old and its not making great pressure so the combustion isnt clean.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:18 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kawi600
Mine is just like the OP the exhaust makes my eyes water instantly. My theory is that my pump is just old and its not making great pressure so the combustion isnt clean.
It's more likely the big ol' injectors. Ever smell a 1st gen with POD's? I never had much trouble with tailgaters when I ran those injectors, the truck stunk so bad nobody ever followed close enough to need a soot cloud to back 'em off.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:13 PM

Mine smells like a BBQ. Or at least thats what I have heard. One Sunday morning our family went to church and after we parked and were on our way in, some one else parked beside us gets out of thier car looks around puzzled and says "some ones BBQing on Sunday morning." I just smiled.

John
Old 05-31-2008, 07:30 PM

i have a straight pipe on my '01 and also run Rotella oil. i have never noticed anything, smell like any other diesel truck i have smelled.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
It's more likely the big ol' injectors. Ever smell a 1st gen with POD's? I never had much trouble with tailgaters when I ran those injectors, the truck stunk so bad nobody ever followed close enough to need a soot cloud to back 'em off.
LOL, amen to that. I have the opposite problem though, people zipping around me aggressively because they hate the smell .
Seriously though, theres no way to control idle fueling? Ive tried messing with the AFC and all it does is cause hard starts and add lag to the turbo since theres not enough fuel. I cant seem to get that balance right.
These injectors dont even produce a haze once the turbo spools up. I think I could stand to swap out for DDP3's with this setup.
I still think pressure is playing a part here. Its the only thing I havent messed with yet on my truck.
The exhaust smell is extra bad with biodiesel in the truck. I stink myself out at traffic lights sometimes.

Quick Reply: Diesel Exhaust Smell?