General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Deutz Air Cooled Engine...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deutz Air Cooled Engine...

This is a 60 HP tractor engine. How did Deutz monitor the engine temperature?

I usually use the tractor in the winter to move hay, but I've used it to rake with. In 95-100 deg. weather I need to make sure it's operating within normal heat range.

I know on some of the Kubota water cooled engines they installed a whistle on the overflow tube to alert the operator of overheating. Is there some gizzmo to do the same on air cooled engines, like an indicator of the belt breaking?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it just air cooled??? not oil cooled?
we have oil cooled Deutz's and ours have oil temp sensors that kill the fuel solenoid power if they get to hot but I have NEVER seen one come close to hot yet?????
Old 08-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Just been working on a 4 cylinder turbocharged Deutz in a stump grinder. There was a single wire sensor/switch on the R/H side of the engine that is wired back to the fuel solenoid. Not sure if it is a temperature switch or pressure switch. I have the fuel solenoid bypassed on the stump grinder so it has NO protection right now. Getting the stuff together to put a warning light on the operator panel and gonna wire it thru that switch.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by D2 Cat
This is a 60 HP tractor engine. How did Deutz monitor the engine temperature?

I usually use the tractor in the winter to move hay, but I've used it to rake with. In 95-100 deg. weather I need to make sure it's operating within normal heat range.

I know on some of the Kubota water cooled engines they installed a whistle on the overflow tube to alert the operator of overheating. Is there some gizzmo to do the same on air cooled engines, like an indicator of the belt breaking?

The Deutz tractors we sold used a temp gauge, with a sensor mounted in the heads...and when they got too hot, the horn will blow

Chris

Chris
Old 08-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have a 3 cylinder in an air compressor, temp sensors are in the head. Periodically check the oil cooler under the shrouds to make sure no nests have been built in there.

Originally Posted by 53 ******
is it just air cooled??? not oil cooled?
we have oil cooled Deutz's and ours have oil temp sensors that kill the fuel solenoid power if they get to hot but I have NEVER seen one come close to hot yet?????
How are yours oil cooled? I know ours has air cooled cylinders with an oil cooler in there too. I've heard of engines on chippers that where ruined because nobody cleaned the oil coolers out.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by JD730
We have a 3 cylinder in an air compressor, temp sensors are in the head. Periodically check the oil cooler under the shrouds to make sure no nests have been built in there.

How are yours oil cooled? I know ours has air cooled cylinders with an oil cooler in there too. I've heard of engines on chippers that where ruined because nobody cleaned the oil coolers out.
Oil cooled engines have a radiator full of oil, just as a water cooled engine would have water. Same thing...different coolant!

Deutz has made oil, air, and water cooled engines for YEARS! We have a single cylinder Deutz Water cooled tractor, and a newer model that's air cooled like the normal ones!

Chris
Old 08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would think you know a thing or 2 about a duetz engine man LOL, i think you got enough of them setting on your lots in combines.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by LOGAN
i would think you know a thing or 2 about a duetz engine man LOL, i think you got enough of them setting on your lots in combines.
We know more than most in this area...that's the key on a Deutz, if you don't know what your doing, you can royally screw something up!

Chris
Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 PM

I keep the cooling fins clean, but I need to install something that shuts off the fuel when hot. I've never had a problem but I've got a youngster moving hay in the field and I'd feel better having it self monitor.

I went thru the owners manual and there is nothing other then, "inspect cooling fins and oil cooler; clean if necessary" that would apply to maintenance of cooling system.

I'll look for a oil temp. sensor and be sure it's wired to shut off the fuel.