General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Deutz 1015 diesel with a BIG hole in the block!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deutz 1015 diesel with a BIG hole in the block!

So we yanked this 2,200lbs Deutz 1015 diesel out of this A/C unit..it has a big hole in the block!!!!! the best part is they refilled it with BRAND NEW GOLDEN BROWN oil to try and cover up that it had no oil when they started it

IIRC it holds about 48 quarts of oil
stock twin turbos too but not in the pics they have been removed already...

note the red arrow showing the hole in the block

pretty big hole!!! wish I could have heard/seen it blow
Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
So we yanked this 2,200lbs Deutz 1015 diesel out of this A/C unit..it has a big hole in the block!!!!! the best part is they refilled it with BRAND NEW GOLDEN BROWN oil to try and cover up that it had no oil when they started it
We've had plenty of farmers bring in tractors that chunked an engine in some way with FRESH oil. Or better yet, when you drain it you get 1qt of extremely sludged up and burnt oil and 11qts of golden brown oil

Best one yet was trans on a Deere combine. When we drained it we got 1 pint of VERY burnt gear lube (that stuff stinks!). We asked the farmer how long the oil light was on and his reply was this:

"Well it was on for a couple of days, and it got brighter toward the end of the day so we'd shut it off"

Well considering the light has no dimmer settings or the like we figure "end of the day" meant getting dark; hence why the light seemed brighter
Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 PM

Oops! Seen a few of those in my day.

Didn't know Deutz made such a large 8-cylinder engine. Need a 55-gallon drum for an oil change for that one!

Wonder what caused the failure...?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ckt_santiago
We've had plenty of farmers bring in tractors that chunked an engine in some way with FRESH oil. Or better yet, when you drain it you get 1qt of extremely sludged up and burnt oil and 11qts of golden brown oil

Best one yet was trans on a Deere combine. When we drained it we got 1 pint of VERY burnt gear lube (that stuff stinks!). We asked the farmer how long the oil light was on and his reply was this:

"Well it was on for a couple of days, and it got brighter toward the end of the day so we'd shut it off"

Well considering the light has no dimmer settings or the like we figure "end of the day" meant getting dark; hence why the light seemed brighter
Thats too funny!!

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Oops! Seen a few of those in my day.

Didn't know Deutz made such a large 8-cylinder engine. Need a 55-gallon drum for an oil change for that one!

Wonder what caused the failure...?
I am pretty sure it had ZERO oil in it.....for some reason they design all the idiot lights and low oil sensors switch's to trip after it's too late
we bought a brand new engine for about $18,000 IIRC

with a 48 quart oil pan you would think they would notice a oil leak before it was too late!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 AM

Wanna sell me one of the turbos? I want a bigger bottom turbo for my compounds.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM

What does the AC unit do? Is it a temporary unit for a building or something? I am just wondering what kind of AC gets powered by that engine and what it is used for.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
Wanna sell me one of the turbos? I want a bigger bottom turbo for my compounds.
Nice try...I already asked for them...but they traded them back in....

Originally Posted by jkitterman
What does the AC unit do? Is it a temporary unit for a building or something? I am just wondering what kind of AC gets powered by that engine and what it is used for.
it's for cooling the inside of aircraft
Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

that sounds like a big aircraft to cool!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 AM

I wonder how much force it took to stop that rotating mass. I realize to hole in the block is an indication but it must also do damage throughout the entire engine when everything stops almost instantly.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Delectric
I wonder how much force it took to stop that rotating mass. I realize to hole in the block is an indication but it must also do damage throughout the entire engine when everything stops almost instantly.
we did not open it up to much but I am sure it bent the pushrods and who know what else....that piston rod in the pic above was solid!!you could not turn the crank in any direction
Old 08-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Thats NOT crankshaft failure, bearing failure, OR operator failure....!

I see that kind of carnage from time to time.
Around the shop, we refer to that as," Failure of the block to contain that rod!"
Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess the crowd that chastised me for showing messed up customer stuff must have moved on.... I agree though.....that had to have made one heck of a "bang". Explain more if you will on what a/c equip this is used on.....sounds pretty interesting if it was powered by something that BIG.

.....maybe I could start a post on "the worlds worst air filters" and "how hot have you gotten your brakes" and throw some picts out there!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM

Just got home from the local fair's tractor pull tonight. Had one of the hot tractors run away on them, no air shut off, still not sure how they got it shut down, but it turned the exhaust and pipe cherry red.
I'm still trying to figure out how it didn't send parts through the side. IH DT466 turning close to 4k rpms with fire coming out the stack, held together, but I'm sure it melted on the inside.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Guess the crowd that chastised me for showing messed up customer stuff must have moved on.... I agree though.....that had to have made one heck of a "bang". Explain more if you will on what a/c equip this is used on.....sounds pretty interesting if it was powered by something that BIG.

.....maybe I could start a post on "the worlds worst air filters" and "how hot have you gotten your brakes" and throw some picts out there!

yeah they must have moved on...I thought your post was just fine

anyway this Deutz engine is used to turn a a/c compressor on a Unit used to cool commercial airliners....like the Boeing 767 or Boeing 777
I will try and find some pics of the a/c unit too...

Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned

I didn't realize that Lehi, UT had an air port even. We stopped there last year for fuel and food cause my friends name is Lehi

Quick Reply: Deutz 1015 diesel with a BIG hole in the block!