General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Daily Driving a Second Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Mike D
Asking a bunch of diesel heads if they like the sound of their Cummins is like asking a bunch of Cheeseheads if they like the Packers.

I drive my 2nd gen 38 miles round trip. No complaints here.
I am a Cheesehead/Packer fan AND CTD lover.

Sure, the truck is expensive, but think of all the money I saved on therapists

jlh
Old 05-19-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I daily drive mine

anywhere from 50-100 miles a day, even more sometimes, you cannot hear it that much over the radio, and needless to say, i love the noise. the cummins will outlast and outpull any hemi and will do it with ease. The second gens with the 24 valve are louder at idle... best thing for u to do is make sure you have a good muffler on there to quiet the noise and stay off of it... ull get used to it... hope we can steer u to get the cummins... Mine with the banks stinger is a lil louder than stock, but not enough to deter me from it..

Tx
Old 05-19-2005, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I daily drive my 24V... it's all personal preference...

loud and proud.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:40 PM

Mine is stock and it is only loud when I am sitting still or taking off. You could never get directions from a toll booth attendent, you wouldn't be able to hear them.

I have been driving mine back and forth to work for 3 weeks now. I have 92 mile round trip each day. I drive about 2 miles and I am on the highway then two miles after I get off the highway. I slowed down to 55mph this week and got 22.2 mpg and that is with a transmission that has a fried torque converter.

My commuter car is a 96 Geo Metro that gets 46mpg but the truck is so much more fun to drive.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOUD???

THESE TRUCKS AREN'T LOUD!!!

TRUST ME, NO PERMANENT HEARING DAMAGE FROM THESE THINGS!

NOW JOHN FORCE, THAT'S LOUD!!!

Actually, they really didn't get obnoxiously loud until the 24 valvers came out... Mine is really mellow, still louder than a Duramax though. Which is a good thing until you get pulled over...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:35 PM

I daily drive my truck 75-100+ miles a day. It is straight piped and is no bother at all.... opening the windows makes it much louder. dodge put a great deal of effort was put into soundproofing the cab (one of the few things they actually did right, but thats another thread)..... No complaints here.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:30 PM

I've got a 2nd gen myself that is a daily driver as well...

I do somewhere around 25K a year and 100-300 when I go to work...

The truck is straight piped and ring is MIA... I love the sound of it! The local cops are even asking about the nice exhaust system I got.... It cheap $30 buck and you can have on too! He is a Duramax owner...

But as for noise I got a MP3 stereo NO AMP! I never turn the volume more that 40%...

Exhuast noise... Naaawww... That GRUNT! Maybe dash of turbo bark... Just for flavor...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:00 PM

honest to God, my 02 is quieter than the exhaust on my dads 04 hemi, and its more comfortable too.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:04 AM

I find myself NOT having a desire to turn on the radio all the time, which I had in all my gassers. Mine is a 12v with straight-thru muffler, so its pretty quiet anyhow. When on road trips with my fiance, she falls asleep pretty quick. The Cummins just has a soothing, rythmic sound. That, plus the white noise of the turbo, and you have a mechanical symphony instead of a cacophony.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:23 AM

i have 5in stacks coming out from behind the cab, a guy from work jumped in and had me give him a ride to his car. he said he was amazed at how quite it was couldn't even hear it unless i was accelerating.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Well i test drove it last night. WOW. I see now that i will have another addiction in my life. The first was the beat to hell Wrangler that has $4K in parts waiting to be installed, and the second will be this Cummins once i get it in my driveway.

THANKS for the input guys, now i just need to decide what to do to it first.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:00 PM

If you love it now wait till you get some BOMBs

Eric
Old 05-20-2005, 01:55 PM

I'm with Dultuh Diesel and condensr. I'm always turnig the radio off to listen to the engine. It is so nice to hear over a Sierra mountain pass. The 12valves are a bit quieter than the 24 vlave I used to have. A little lower pitch from the injection pump, too. If your woried about noise, make sure the cab seals well. I drove in the wind every morning this week, and my drivers side door doesn't seal well, it got pretty annoying.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I dont think its that bad, the shake might bother you more than the noise, but then again, its more of a massage...
Old 05-22-2005, 09:16 PM

If you can handle driving a leaf-spring Jeep with mudders to work that far, stepping into a 2nd-gen Cummins will feel a bit like driving a Lexus to work. No offense to anyone who has one, but honestly I would just forget about a Hemi-powered Dodge truck. I've heard from many sources they are over-hyped, and today I spoke with a man at a gas station in Janesville, WI, pulling a bass boat behind his 2wd club-cab '04 1500 Hemi. He said the mileage is awful - when he heard I average over 20 mpg, he almost went through the roof.

These Cummins really do grow on you! If you're buying a 24V, you will want to install a fuel pressure gauge and keep a watch on it, lots of info on this site about this and much else. Welcome and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Daily Driving a Second Gen?