General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Daily Driving a Second Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driving a Second Gen?

I am looking at several local 2nd gen. Cummins and was wondering what the groups feeling are about driving these on a daily basis.

I have a 35 mile (round trip) mixed city highway commute to the office everyday. Are the interior DB levels just to high with the Cummins to make this a pleasant ride? I am going test drive one tonight. 01, 2wd 60,000 miles. Very nice from what I have seen of it.

Note: Right now I am driving a 1994 Jeep Wrangler on 35's, so I know what roughing it is on a commute.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to DTR tehmidget.

Noise levels are very subjective. I use my truck as a daily driver and have no complaints. I also have a strait pipe that dumps just behind the rear axle.
To me, its not noise but the sweet sound of perfection.

However, a fellow here at work purchased a stock 92 CTD and sold it within months claiming that it was too loud.

Test drive it, get it up to speed if you can and listen. It will be up to you if the ride is acceptable or not.

Rich
Old 05-19-2005, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

I really hope that the noise level is not as bad as i have heard people complain about. Although i am very tolerant to it, i am ready for a less stessful commute.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With no radio or fan on, the noise is present but not obtrusive (to me). Once you turn on the fan and/or radio, you really can't hear it much at all.

jlh
Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM

So you guys dont think this drive will be any worse on the Cummins engine that it would be on a gas engine like a Hemi?

My second choice would be the Ram 1500 with the Hemi.

I will be towing the Jeep on a trailer 5-10 hour trips, every 2-3 months. The load will be much closer to the Hemi's towing capicity than the Cummins.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 AM

Sorry for all the nOOb questions, I just dont want to regret this purchase, as it has to last me a LONG time.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Im sure all the noise from those 35's sounds worse then the sweet sound of a turbo spooling down the highway.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Chapter President

I have driven 2nd gen CTD's as daily drivers for years and wouldn't want it any other way! IMO, there is nothing quite as soothing as a CTD loafing down the highway at 1800 rpm with that gentle whistle of the turbo in the back ground! IMO, the pleasant sound of the motor working effortlessly is much less intrusive then a set of 35" mudders howling down the road!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I daily drive my 2nd gen 20 miles round trip every day. 35 inch tires singing their song, BHAF letting the turbo scream, and straight pipe exhaust. I usually open the back slider window and turn off the stereo so I can hear her roar better!
I love the noise. My father in law has a 2004.5 600 Cummins - nice and quiet. He told me once that he noticed people would turn and look at his truck when he drove down the street. I said, yeah, you have a nice looking rig, so when people hear your truck they turn and look. When they hear my truck coming, the don't turn around, they duck.
Make it loud and drive it every day.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Chapter President

Asking a bunch of diesel heads if they like the sound of their Cummins is like asking a bunch of Cheeseheads if they like the Packers.

I drive my 2nd gen 38 miles round trip. No complaints here.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 PM

i also use my 2nd gen with a straight pipe as a daily driver, unless i am cruising at about 2200rpm (drone zone) i think it is almost as quiet as any gasser out there.

oh yeah my daily commute involves walking thru the kitchen to get to my office, but i still manage about 25k per year on the road.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM

I drive mine all the time back and forth to work - if the weather is bad and I can't ride my Harley or if I leave before the wife. She loves the truck as much as I do - just doesn't understand or appreciate the modifications made.

I love the sound my truck makes as the turbo winds up and some smoke is left behind
Old 05-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by Mike D
Asking a bunch of diesel heads if they like the sound of their Cummins is like asking a bunch of Cheeseheads if they like the Packers.
LOL......good point!
Old 05-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
LOL......good point!

I guess your right.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:50 PM

Mine is quieter in the cab with my 4 inch straight than my dads is with the stock exhaust i believe. Friday night we were cruising about 70mph on the interstate,a nd with the radio off the only thing you could really hear was the turbo spooling up and down. Sounds sweet I love the sound of it so no it doesent bother me. Basically what you will hear with the windows up and nothing on is the motor revving up amd down and the turbo. Its about at the level that if you turn the radio on at all it drown out the engine. It never has bothered me anyway.

Eric

Quick Reply: Daily Driving a Second Gen?