General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

D.O.T. inspection for any dually

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Don't take this as an attack because it certainly isn't, but I'm curious... this is the first time I've heard of a state issuing a DOT number. If you have a state issued number, then you go out of state, (I'm theorizing here, so assume 'commercial'), do you need a fed DOT number as well? Or does Texas subscribe to 'SAFER', the fed's Safety And Fitness Electronics Records system? (SAFER is the registration and records arm of the DOT numbering system)

chaikwa.
If you run intrastate you just need TxDot #, interstate the UsDot #.

Here is a link to the commercial vehicle supplements we use for our collision reports. Scroll down to page 3, look at line 11 for operating authority.

http://www.nhtsa-tsis.net/crashforms...041806_web.pdf
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rich
Chaikwa, the state of tx issues its own dot numbers for companies who operate in state only.
Originally Posted by oldmikegraham
If you run intrastate you just need TxDot #, interstate the UsDot #.
Thanks guys, that's good info. I never knew that states issued their own numbers.

chaikwa.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Here is something to consider if you find you have to be licensed as a commercial vehicle. This is from a synopsis of MN regs.
"Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed in a Commercial Motor Vehicle. Alcohol may only be transported in a CMV as part of the manifested shipment."
http://www.extension.umn.edu/horse/c...egBrochure.pdf

That sounds like a person couldn't pick up adult beverages to take back home using a pickup if that pickup has to be licensed as a commercial vehicle. (at least in MN).
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM

I have been doing a lot of digging trying to find a authoritative sources on commercial vehicle registration requirements. From what I am gathering the states are converging on the federal regulations because they will loose certain funding if they do not comply.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm
In the middle of the page is a link for Step by Step Registarion guide. It can help determine if you need to have USDOT number. What I am still trying to find is the definition of 'interstate commerce.' I'm guessing if I cross the state line to sell a horse, I am engaging in 'interstate commerce'.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interstate commerce is the crossing of state lines for moneytary gains or purposes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM

One more way to get our money.
DS79
Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by knc77
I have been doing a lot of digging trying to find a authoritative sources on commercial vehicle registration requirements. From what I am gathering the states are converging on the federal regulations because they will loose certain funding if they do not comply.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm
In the middle of the page is a link for Step by Step Registarion guide. It can help determine if you need to have USDOT number. What I am still trying to find is the definition of 'interstate commerce.' I'm guessing if I cross the state line to sell a horse, I am engaging in 'interstate commerce'.

I think you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT in your thinking. It seems like more and more stuff has/is being added to get us all on the same page, frankly I like that idea UP TO having to get the USDOT number simply because I don't haul anything for others and am not using my truck to make money.

It IS about revenue and how we are assumed to be using our trucks. Not everyone is for hire, that really does present a problem in all this licensing and permitting, etc.

Thanks for the link, appreciate the information.

CD
Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be part of the reason, but it would be nice to have a more standard set of rules for all drivers licensing across the whole county. It was a nightmare trying to get my Wyoming drivers license changed over to a Mo. one. It must have taken 4 DMV people an 2 highway patrol officers to cross reference my plan ol class C drivers license to a Mo one.

In Wyoming every one can drive a car or truck of any weight as long as it is under 26,001 pounds period, that is not the case in Mo. So after two hours I ended up with a chauffeur's license, why I still don't really know.

So out here even my mom could hop in my 1 ton dually and yank a skid steer down the highway (provided she could remember how to use a clutch) no med card needed. We only have two drivers licenses, CDL and NON CDL well and motorcycle so three
Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 PM

But since the guys that do work their truck aren't honest the rest if us have to pay the price. Sucks, but thats the only way to keep everyone honest.
DS79
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Laws only keep honest people honest any ways, wish the people that make them would figure that out.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:07 AM

States are cracking down on illegal carriers and more legal carriers are turning them in . Last week a person posted on 2 different forums . He said he had a '32 gooseneck and was hauling cars and other freight and needed to know where to get cargo insurance because he had Allstate and they didn't sell commercial insurance . Members on both forums jumped all over him saying he was obviously hauling without authority since he had no commercial insurance . We never heard any more from him .
Old 03-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CD in NM
I think you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT in your thinking. It seems like more and more stuff has/is being added to get us all on the same page, frankly I like that idea UP TO having to get the USDOT number simply because I don't haul anything for others and am not using my truck to make money.

It IS about revenue and how we are assumed to be using our trucks. Not everyone is for hire, that really does present a problem in all this licensing and permitting, etc.

Thanks for the link, appreciate the information.

CD
Yes, a BIG part of it IS about revenue. But it's also about safety. The issuance of a DOT number also carries a DOT audit with it at some point. An inspector will come into your business or residence and make sure your truck has all the safety equipment it's supposed to have and that your drivers, (if you have any), are properly licensed, have had annual drivers records checked, you have proper insurance, etc.

My 'big' truck, an International 4900, isn't used for commerce purposes; it pulls a trailer that is owned by our non-profit organization, there-fore no monetary gain exists in any form. But the truck still has to have DOT numbers, safety equipment, etc., and it is subject to all the CMV rules that exist for any other truck.

chaikwa.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 AM

I guess I forgot to add the safety concerns, of which ARE a good thing.

CD
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by rich
interstate commerce is the crossing of state lines for moneytary gains or purposes
I'd hardly call selling a horse monetary gain these days, unless you consider monetary gain cutting the looses. Hardly worth the consignment fee, cogins test, health papers, transportation there... Let alone the hay, feed and other expenses. Of course that would be the subject of a different board.

Bottom line is this is going to get the little guy to look at alternatives. My horses are miniatures, so I have options. If I read the rules correctly, as long as I stay under CVWR or actual weight of 10,000 lbs, I do not need a USDOT number. I can accomplish that using a stock rack. Unfortunately, this will limit the number of head I can haul due to space (about 4), But I will still be under the magic 10,000 lbs.