General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins vs. Powerstroke Connecting Rods

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good point!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lovinCTD59
Lets not forget the 2001+ 7.3 and 6.0 power stroke have powder metal rods that snap with anything more than a chip (they shoulda stuck with the forged rods)
Where have you seen a 6.0 snap a rod?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:53 PM

Isn't that how they were nicknamed "PowerBroke"?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:31 AM

You got to remember that the Cummins is rated as a 'Medium Duty Diesel' while the Powerjoke and Diapermax ar 'Light Duty' diesels. That's why their 'puters won't let them make any torque until they're a ways above 2 grand. They are a throw away outfit from the get go. That baby Alison in the GM is a joke also! They start gettin' hot and the computer de-rates the engine to save the tranny while you end up sitting on the side of Monarch or Red Mountain Pass with your face hangin' out and the Powerjokes are just as bad when they are loaded and pulling grade. If they pulled as hard as a Cummins down low in the Rs they would both shell those wimpy rods right out the pan. I've seen too many of them sitting on the shoulder to ever consider giving them anything but the high sign when I blow by them.....Man, you boys really got me to going. I'm going to bed. C-ya!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mj007, now.....why don't you tell us what you really think?!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by mj007
You got to remember that the Cummins is rated as a 'Medium Duty Diesel' while the Powerjoke and Diapermax ar 'Light Duty' diesels. That's why their 'puters won't let them make any torque until they're a ways above 2 grand. They are a throw away outfit from the get go. That baby Alison in the GM is a joke also! They start gettin' hot and the computer de-rates the engine to save the tranny while you end up sitting on the side of Monarch or Red Mountain Pass with your face hangin' out and the Powerjokes are just as bad when they are loaded and pulling grade. If they pulled as hard as a Cummins down low in the Rs they would both shell those wimpy rods right out the pan. I've seen too many of them sitting on the shoulder to ever consider giving them anything but the high sign when I blow by them.....Man, you boys really got me to going. I'm going to bed. C-ya!
The 6.0 is IH's VT365 which is used in their medium duty trucks.

http://www.internationaldelivers.com...t365detail.asp
Old 12-01-2006, 07:41 AM
HOV

Anyone else have a line on that pic of the tranny input shafts compared?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

i still cant find it. i havent given up though.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:23 AM

DiaperMax, that's a new one
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 AM
HOV

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
i still cant find it. i havent given up though.
You're a trooper!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 PM
FAY

I-6 is better for stump pulling torque.

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
I think you might be confusing rod length with stroke.....the longer stroke does mean the potential for higher torque output but it isn't the be all end all as far as torque generation is concerned as some people may have you believe. Rod ratio (the length of the rod versus the stroke of the crank) is also a key factor in torque generation. The Cummins rod has to be longer than the others just to maintain even the same rod ratio as other engines with less stroke. And it has to be beefier than the V8 rods since it has only six rods to transmit comparable forces that other engines have eight rods to transmit.

There are advantages and disadvantages to high and low rod ratios.....some of the more important factors that are considered are piston speed (the longer the rod, the lower the speed - the lower the piston speed, the worse it will perform at lower rpm), time at TDC (dwell - the higher the dwell, the more time for flame travel and complete combustion - more important at higher rpm), and piston side loading in the cylinders (shorter rods will side load the pistons in the cylinders more than longer rods since the shorter rods spend more time operating at greater angles - the higher the force the piston has to endure, the more pronounced the side load).

The engine designers must select a rod ratio that is a balance (compromise) of these factors that best suit the intended application.
A longer piston rod length is necessary whenever the stroke is long. A long stroke is achieved by having long crankshaft throws. The piston rod length is dependant on physical mechanical design proportions. If the piston rod was not long enough when mated with a crankshaft with long throws the bottom of the piston skirt would hit the crankshaft at bottom dead center. Both the Cummins piston rod wrist pin and crankshaft journal openings are of a greater diameter then that in either of the V8 piston rods openings. That indicates the piston wrist pin and crankshaft journal are larger to handle more low engine speed torque forces. The piston rod is also heavier to withstand more torque force. The higher torque at low engine speed necessitates physically heavy engine components to prevent component fracture. On the other hand, heavy components hinder attaining high engine speed without stressing the engine components. Heavier pistons, wrist pins and piston rod eyes create massive inertia forces within the engine at BDC and TDC, and the heavier crankshaft throws, crankshaft journals, and piston heads produce massive centrifugal forces around the crankshaft's rotational center. The inline six engine is best suited for high torque at low engine rpm because it has seven main bearings while the V8 configuration has only five main bearings with two piston rod heads on every crankshaft journal. The V8 crankshaft journals take more punishment than I-6 journals under equal force; therefore, V8 engines can't be fueled safely as much initially as and I-6 engine. The lighter V8 engine components are physically unable to withstand high engine torque at low engine speeds and need to be turning faster to build some inertia to exert enough force at the flywheel. Inturn the V8 components must be light to prevent excessive inertia and centrifugal forces at high engine rpm. The greatest force is required to start a load from standing still while on a steep grade ascending far. Once the load is moving a somewhat lower force is required to reach desired velocity on a level road and then less force is required to keep it moving down the road at a constant velocity. The inerta developed within a moving mass to keep the mass moving down the road requires an engine to put out less torque than when starting from a stand still. V8 engines can pull better with an automatic transmission because the tranny slippage allows the engine to rotate faster to build up flywheel inertia before having to pull hard. V8 engines can attain higher engine rpms because their components are lighter and their strokes are shorter. On the other hand, V8 engines can't physically develope as much torque as the Cummins can at lower engine rpms without damaging V8 engine components. I-6 engines do not have the excessive vibrations and slight countering forces from each cylinder bank developed in V8 engines to further stress the components. I-6 diesel engines are designed to be efficient work engines.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That’s one of the best and most understandable posts I think I have ever read!
Einstein would be proud! Thanks very much for you time, and thanks for sharing your talents and knowledge with us. I find your way of describing things excellent.

Best Regards,
Tom D
Old 12-05-2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by FAY
The inerta developed within a moving mass to keep the mass moving down the road requires an engine to put out less torque than when starting from a stand still.
Could you rephrase this relative to the juxtaposition of the Cummins and V-8 diesels?

Thanks for the thoughtful post.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM
HOV

Originally Posted by tomd
That’s one of the best and most understandable posts I think I have ever read!
Einstein would be proud! Thanks very much for you time, and thanks for sharing your talents and knowledge with us. I find your way of describing things excellent.

Best Regards,
Tom D
Seconded. Outstanding post.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FAY don't play.

Quick Reply: Cummins vs. Powerstroke Connecting Rods