General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

CUMMINS VS. POWERSTROKE

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:CUMMINS VS. POWERSTROKE

or better yet 3 standard tranny trucks on the same pull.... ;D
Old 05-02-2003, 12:31 PM

New to this site, lot better than the other site!<br><br>I own a 99 PSD with a few mods and 100,000+ miles, and I will say that I love it. The only problem for me so far was the tranny was a piece of junk, replaced it with an ATS, and cracked the turbo housing ( too much heat and did not watch the EGT gauge while racing a riceburner ) The PSD has much more cab room for the trips to veags and camping. <br><br>BUT<br><br>I have also helped bomb both CTD's and Dmax's, and I will say that I am curently looking to buy a 24v CTD for racing and tractor pulling purposes only. You just can not beat the amount of hp/tq that it can be bombed too and still be reliable and cost effective. The PSD is good to about 500hp and then your just screwed! And out a TON of money for the costs of bombing. The PSD just can not handel the power range safely that the CTD and Dmax can. SO too all you bombed CTD owners, It sucks to to see the tailgate infront of me, but atleast the smoke is killing Westnile Misquitos! <br><br>I hope to join the ranks of CTD power and Smoke soon, but will still keep my PSD. <br>
Old 05-02-2003, 04:39 PM

Glad to have you here snowman. I was under the impreshion that The dmax was worse than the Stroker when it came to max HP?<br><br>I asked this on a Ford site and never got an answer so maybe you could help. What turbo do you guys switcch to after the stock grows too small? The Cummins has many to choose from and I don't see a lot out for the stroker.<br>Thanks DM01
Old 05-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Banned

I know you can get a Big Woof turbo or something like that for the Ferd's. That is a big turbo.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:06 PM

DM01 &amp; BigBlue,<br><br>Thanks for the welcome. There are really a limited number of options for the PSD turbo upgrade. H2E, ATS BB, VAN Turbo, Garrett is still in the process of releasing a new upgraded BB Turbo, but the specs have not been verified as of yet. The is also some sort of hooky creation for the H2E with an added Wicked Wheel, but I think the jury is still out on that one. Most that have tried it say it is awesome, but it's hard to pin down boost and EGT numbers from them. There are a couple more options out there like Banks and a few others but they are all around the same. Your are absolutely right there are way more options for the CTD than the PSD and DMax.<br><br>The Big Wolf turbo is machined off of the stock turbo, a fully CNC machined adapter that replaces the EBPV housing. It is a bolt item on that adapts the van turbo to the superduty downpipe. They have 6.1 degree taper that opens from 2.95&quot; ID to 3.25&quot; ID with a 1/8&quot; EGT probe tapped in.<br><br>And <br><br>On the side of the DMax, that big boy Isuzu can really lay down some numbers. I was flat out amazed at what just a juice box and 5&quot; Exhaust could do. However the stock Alison is a piece of junk behind a good name. The boys up in Detroit must have very lax Manu. Specs. when building the tranny. I'm sure with some loving (money) additions it can be brought within a capable holding range. SO I guess to answer your question, the Dmax is slightly able to handle more power than the PSD. PSD guys will roll over in there grave before admitting that, he!! it hurts me too. I'm a die hard Ford guy, NASCAR and all, but I know when something is good and respect the limits of the power, just like to push the envelope as much as possible ;D<br><br>On a side note: the biggest problem with the 7.3 PSD is the Fuel Delivery. The LL8 injector is starved for fuel hence Cackle and loss of power at the 1300 – 1800 rpm range. There are many different fixes for that, but still a poor *** design. There are other problems but each make has their own, and we fix it, Right?. Oh did I say, “ I still would not give up my PSD!”<br><br><br><br>1 beer down,<br>Kyle<br>
Old 05-02-2003, 10:45 PM

Sense you are on a DODGE site we will try as we might to get you to buy a dodge or atleast put a Cummins in you Ferd. This way we can call you a Cummins member. <br>DM01
Old 05-02-2003, 11:01 PM

DM01,<br><br>Heck that's why I'm here. Helped bomb a few CTD's, and that dam# Steakman is a good friend of mine. I want a CTD for racing and sledpulling. Can't beat'um, join'um then beat'um ;D. Cost way to much to put the cummins in the Ferd, but sure would be a kick in the pants. Best of both worlds there.<br> I do keep up on all the stuff going on for the CTD's and can't stand the other Cummins site, so over here there is a lot more technical info and a lot less bickering.<br><br>another neer down,<br>Kyle
Old 05-02-2003, 11:12 PM

You know stakeman? I feel you pain. j/K he's a nice guy.<br>DM01
Old 05-04-2003, 02:07 AM

[quote author=snowman link=board=8;threadid=13798;start=45#134476 date=1051927592]
There are really a limited number of options for the PSD turbo upgrade. H2E, ATS BB, VAN Turbo, Garrett is still in the process of releasing a new upgraded BB Turbo, but the specs have not been verified as of yet.[/quote]

Turbos are REALLY being opened up to the Dodge guys BIG TIME now with Piers, and Kurt doing their things. I think you will see some changes on the Ford side of things soo too.

A hot-rod diesel shop here in Houston(won't say the name as the rules of the site state) has found the Van Turbo to be VERY reliable. That thing is darn near indistructable.

Of course that Garrett BB WILL be nice.....I promise! ;D

Andrew

P.S. Welcome to the stie!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 12:55 PM

Andrew,<br><br>Yah, I know the shop in Houston that you are talking about. They are making some nice aftermarket improvements for the PSD's. Plus awesome customer service, but the fact still remians that the PSD is limited on the max amout of HP/TQ that it can withstand reliablely. I am sill looking forward to trying the new Garrett as soon as I can afford it ( wife loves to shop :'()
Old 05-04-2003, 02:53 PM

I would have either truck both are great,I have had two PS diesels and they never let me down.Cant go wrong with either truck.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:15 AM

I am sill looking forward to trying the new Garrett as soon as I can afford it ( wife loves to shop )
<br><br><br>You'll just have to splain to her how much MORE time she can spend shopping by getting to the mall faster now that you have a new go fast thingy in your truck...... make it work for her too. Shoppings boring , but gettin there does'nt have to be ;D ;D .
Old 06-02-2003, 03:35 PM

I actually own both engines. I have a 97 12-valve CTD with a 5-spd and a 2001 7.3L Powerstroke, where they didn't even give me the manual tranny option. The Cummins is on a 2500 club cab LWB. The Powerstroke is on an Excursion, so it's not exactly like comparing apples to apples.<br>I own 3 horses and tow them from time to time. I have nothing done to either of them so far (e.g. bombing) and my Cummins out-tows the powerstroke all day long. I can accelerate faster, get a higher top speed, and the MPG is about 4 MPG better than the Ford. Mind you, the Ford is a 1-ton chassis with a 7000#+ GVCWR, which might explain some of its' dogginess. <br>If DC would have built a SUV with a Cummins, it would have been a no-brainer for me, but since they don't, well, you get the idea.<br>My point is even though the Powerstroke has a higher HP and Torque rating than my 5.9L CTD, the Cummins does a better job.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS VS. POWERSTROKE