General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

CUMMINS VS. POWERSTROKE

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:CUMMINS VS. POWERJOKE

[quote author=yz link=board=8;threadid=13798;start=15#131196 date=1051151611]<br>I am wondering if they will sign Cummins after 2007 or use Detroit diesel. Freighliner does not even have Cummins as an option for the Business Class trucks. So I think that Dodge will move to the Detroit diesels. The Detroit diesels are a D.C product. I really don't know much about them. I am just guessing that's what will happen since freightliner does not use Cummins as option. Or at least there sight does not show Cummins as an option. Just Detroit and Cat. So we will have to see what happen. If that happens i will be sad to see the Cummins go. We will see. -Anthony <br>[/quote]<br><br>Yessir, you are correct. As of right now, Freightliner doesnt offer the Cummins in any of there lineups. All the way from the M2's, Coronados, Western Star, Sterling etc. I think it is legal feuding but we will see what happens.<br><br>This could explain what happened here<br><br>Look around this site..real good info.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:CUMMINS VS. POWERSTROKE

If you are interested in reliability of the new Ford Diesel check out this site http://forums.thedieselstop.com/. There is a poll showing approx 36% of respondents with significant problems with the new 6.0 l engine. This is a more or less Ford dedicated site too.<br>Another site http://www.ford-trucks.com has lots of stuff on this engine as well. Seems like many of the new owners are having serious problems and spending a lot of time worrying about the engine.<br>Not something you will see at this site. <br>Would you still want a Ford diesel after that?
Old 05-01-2003, 01:47 PM

YEah well...<br><br>This is more than I got for DC being in error over<br><br>-the 160 amp alternator that my diesel was suppose to have ???<br>-the skid plate I paid for twice <br>-the Mopar accessories that scratched my paint. :'(<br>
Old 05-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Banned

Hmmmmm lemme think....<br><br>lower output alt, skid plate x2 and chipped paint OR<br><br>quits on the road, fuel in the oil (Ford is just changing turbos telling people your brgs will be fine ) runs like a pile of crap when started cold, oil leaks galore, the list goes on. Me thinks you bought the right truck.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:57 PM

I have something that I am trying to figure out. There was a post earlier showing the dodge diesel putting out more to the wheels than chevy or ford...but why did the dodge get its *ss handed to them on the pickuptruck.com comparo? I am a serious dodge fan and I even am considering a ford :-X, but after all the reliability issues with the ford which is quite exstensive(sp?). I plan on lifting my new truck and modding it, what kind of hp/tq could i reliably obtain on a cummins/powerstroke?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:40 PM

As much as I like my truck, the last thing I want to see is nothing but Dodge trucks on the road. My brother has a 96 Ford, I think it's a gorgous truck, as much as he wanted a Dodge, he bought a ford, because money was an issue, and I think he made the right choice for himself. To each his own
Old 05-01-2003, 09:39 PM

[quote author=BiggRedd link=board=8;threadid=13798;start=30#134086 date=1051833461]...but why did the dodge get its *ss handed to them on the pickuptruck.com comparo?[/quote]<br><br>Easy, but I am going from memory here. As I recall it was a dually Dodge with a 4.10 rear end against a Ford and Chev single rear wheel with 3.something rear ends. Give the Dodge in the test a several hundred pound weight disadvantage and lower geared rear end and the results are fairly predictable.<br><br>I made my choice for reasons OTHER than race performance.<br><br>Cheers
Old 05-01-2003, 11:03 PM

I second that on what Nevada said
Old 05-01-2003, 11:21 PM

I've owned a PSD, and I'll never go back after having a Cummins. The only thing that test was was drag racing while loaded. If I remember right if you look at the times of the trucks un-loaded and loaded, you'll see that the Dodge's un-loaded and loaded times were the closest. While it still lost in that test, like was said earlier, the comparison was not even across the board. But I didn't buy my Cummins for hot rodding around either. I would have bought a V-10 for that.<br><br>Rick
Old 05-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Banned

[quote author=Sittenbull2 link=board=8;threadid=13798;start=30#134178 date=1051848186]<br>I second that on what Nevada said<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'll also second, or I guess third what Nevada said. &quot;Motion carried&quot;!! ;D
Old 05-02-2003, 07:11 AM

Yea...what Nevada said ;D It mya not beat em up the hill every time...but it will be goin up the hill long after the rest of em quit 8)
Old 05-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Banned

When I traded my '98 it had 270ish on it and no water pump probs. But tons of oil leaks. It was a good engine in my opinion. I think the Cummins is a better engine. I think Ford sells alot of trucks because of their fleet pricing. Dodge fleet pricing sucks. Ford has a price that comes from the top, Dodge makes theirs up and knocks of another grand. My same truck in a Ford would be cheaper than the one I bought. Some people buy on price, others quality I guess. FWIW...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:10 AM

http://ford-trucks.com/forums/showth...162#post718162<br>Even the guys on the Ford site agree we have a better engine. Well most of them. They just think the outside is junk. I will be one to say that I bought a dodge. The Cummins was an added plus.<br>DM01
Old 05-02-2003, 09:48 AM

Nevada's memory was pretty good, however, he forgot that the test was done with the Dodge having a manual tranny since the HO auto was not available at the time of the tests. That was the major factor in the testers' grading of the Dodge, and is why the acceleration tests left the Dodge behind. If you search and find the article posted in one of these threads from a few months ago, you will find that all the testers gave the Dodge the highest mark for load pulling ability up and down grades, and the Dodge had a little more towing GCWR capacity than its counterparts. It would be interesting to see a current comparison now that the 48RE is available for the HO.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS VS. POWERSTROKE