General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

CUMMINS in the near future...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd hold out for a better deal... In 05' when I bought mine, I got it for 500 under invoice minus incentives minus a 500 local farm bureau rebate. Total was something like 2500 under invoice...
btw- that was dealing with the internet sales manager ONLY... Don't go in and talk to a floor salesman/woman. Get you best price in print before you even step in the door...
Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True that! I did my last shopping on the internet with the Ford, now doing the same with the Dodge... I get all of my offers printed out thru email, then I make a few last stops in person to see them beg for a deal between dealers.
Last time I was dealin, I was on the cell phone with a sales manager at one location and talking in person to one on the lot in another location...He didnt like that very much, but I got a sweet deal. LOL
Old 10-10-2006, 10:36 PM

I have an 06 G56 Manual and absolutly love the truck. The new 6.7l are going to be great engines as long as you are up to date with the Maintenance. These Cummins are the best Truck Engines on the Planet for a Medium/Heavy Duty Truck. All Makers are going to have there problems, but nothing in the Dodge Camp like the 6.0!!!! I would stick with the 06, get a great deal, and if you go with an auto tranny get a Temp Gauge for the Trans Temp. I had an 06 Khaki with the Auto and I had some problems, so I traded it in for the Manual. Allot more fun to drive and tow with IMHO! Good Luck and keep on the track of the Cummins, you wont regret it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM

I would consider the 6 speed, but the wife will have to drive this once in awhile and she wants an automatic...I cant complain, she is allowing me to get a new truck

What were your problems with the automatic? Was it chipped?

I test drove an automatic the other day...we stopped at a gas station so he could fill it up and when I put it in Drive after the fill up the truck didnt move (it seemed like the emergency brake was on) but it wasnt.. the truck wouldnt go anywhere and I had to put it back into park and then into drive...it was OK then.... I was a bit concerned with that on a new truck.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
I would consider the 6 speed, but the wife will have to drive this once in awhile and she wants an automatic...I cant complain, she is allowing me to get a new truck

What were your problems with the automatic? Was it chipped?

I test drove an automatic the other day...we stopped at a gas station so he could fill it up and when I put it in Drive after the fill up the truck didnt move (it seemed like the emergency brake was on) but it wasnt.. the truck wouldnt go anywhere and I had to put it back into park and then into drive...it was OK then.... I was a bit concerned with that on a new truck.
Don't get that truck. Find another one. Very easy to do. That should not of happened. Be very picky with your selection. I have a 48re and have no issues with it at all. Just wish I could be covered under warranty with an exhaust brake. Other than that, great truck. Hope you find the one you are looking for. I have had some of the 04.5 glitches but were fixed with no issues.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:22 PM

Oh yeah, My wife also wanted the automatic. If I had to do it again I would of got the 6 speed manual.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Well, I got my call from Ford today and they said basically "tough luck" but offered an extended warranty on my truck... I politely said "No thanks!" and told them I was already in contact with an attorney for the lemon law.... I got a phone call 10 minutes later from Ford telling me they are going to reopen my case for review... UNREAL !!! ahhhhgggg !

So, what is the main feeling of you guys wanting to get the 6 speed manual..is it due to lack of problems or something else???

Thanks !
Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Chapter President

LOL. Ah legal incentive to review your case. What do they do with all the buy out trucks anyway?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 PM

For me it was because you have better control with a 6 speed manual. Exhaust brake works period no matter what year you have. Less parts to break in the future. Works better pulling heavy loads. Don't get me wrong, the 48re is a good solid auto tranny. With some upgrades like Valve Body and Torque converter I hear they are really a great tranny. The 6 speed auto tranny that is coming out in Jan. 07' might just be a hoss, we'll see. The lack of gears is the only downfall of the 48re in my eyes. If you don't pull heavy it won't bother you a bit. I didn't notice it until I got my new LQ horse trailer. You will get better fuel mileage on the highway with the 48re. That is a plus. In town the maunal will be better. Just have to row them gears. In heavy traffic that would really suck. Only pitfall in my book. Everyone has been stuck on the interstate for 2 or 3 hours with stop and go traffic. Imagine that with the manual.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 PM

I believe the buyout trucks go back and get fixed (for how long - unknown) and then sent to the auction. These trucks on auction must be posted to have been "bought back" with the known problems....or so I've read
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Chapter President

You hope they are marked.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 AM

Ford is giving me a hard time with my buy back now... I did all of the oil changes and they want all of my reciepts (which I threw away) but I did keep a DETAILED computer logged sheet showing the date of my oil changes, etc... that wasnt good enough for Ford.

I am confused because some of the guys who were bought out didnt need those reciepts... Not sure what else to do.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Chapter President

Is this after having a lawyer involved?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
For me it was because you have better control with a 6 speed manual. Exhaust brake works period no matter what year you have. Less parts to break in the future. Works better pulling heavy loads. Don't get me wrong, the 48re is a good solid auto tranny. With some upgrades like Valve Body and Torque converter I hear they are really a great tranny. The 6 speed auto tranny that is coming out in Jan. 07' might just be a hoss, we'll see. The lack of gears is the only downfall of the 48re in my eyes. If you don't pull heavy it won't bother you a bit. I didn't notice it until I got my new LQ horse trailer. You will get better fuel mileage on the highway with the 48re. That is a plus. In town the maunal will be better. Just have to row them gears. In heavy traffic that would really suck. Only pitfall in my book. Everyone has been stuck on the interstate for 2 or 3 hours with stop and go traffic. Imagine that with the manual.
SPOOLER,
I am interested in hearing why you believe the 48RE should give better hwy. mileage. I know there is a slightly taller final ratio in top gears....is that it?

ROOFGOOF, Here is my .02....First words out of your mouth to the salesperson should be "I am really sold on Brand X, but I promised myself I would stop by and have a glance at the Ram before heading over to pick one of their trucks up", Also, best to do this during the last days of any given quarter, as they are wanting to build their numbers. After my salesman came back from presenting my initial offer to his manager, he said the mgr.s reply was "You pay us to buy a truck, we don't pay you"...that told me I was on the right side of the bid. It also took 6 or 7 hours (I totally enjoyed it), and they see that as having invested much into the situation. If I sensed that they were starting to see the deal as hopeless, I would get them back into the game by saying something like "Don't get me wrong, I think you have a great truck...I just think brand X might be a bit better deal". In the end, I raised my offer $76, and they came down over 9K.
Also, I have 55K on the truck, am not afraid to jump on it, and have not had one single problem. The 48RE is great, and I would highly recommend the 3.73s unless you are tugging some REALLY heavy stuff thru the muck. I actually wish they had still offered the 3.55s for my application, as I have no interest in huge tires.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 AM

Yeap, Taller gear in 4th with the TC locked up than 6th with the G56.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS in the near future...