General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

CUMMINS in the near future...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v8440
I sat in an '07 the other day with the 5.9. It looked identical under the hood to my '06, and it does NOT have the emissions stuff. It also did not have that woodgrain crap-it was silvery metal, and it looked fine. I think an early '07 would be best for you based on what you've said.
imo, i would not buy anything newer than an 06' in a diesel. All this new emissions crap is annoying. ur not going to be able to work on the new motors with all the stuff their putting on them. Some things do seem nice but its still more and more electronic mess to deal with. If your planning on leaving it stock, I would definately try the new motor in a heart beat......but, its a diesel...and its in a dodge....meaning CUMMINS!!! you can practically do anything to these things and over time you will want to. just my .02
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Chapter President

What part of the 07's until the end of the year have the 06 5.9 are you having trouble understanding? Sorry could we had this info to a sticky note also mentioning that the G-56 with 3.73 runs rpms close to a NV with 4.10s
Old 10-04-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Duallydog
What part of the 07's until the end of the year have the 06 5.9 are you having trouble understanding? Sorry could we had this info to a sticky note also mentioning that the G-56 with 3.73 runs rpms close to a NV with 4.10s

Boy ain't that true! Not busting anyone's chops, but when the same stuff gets asked for the 4,387th time it gets hard to be patient.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 PM

go withe the 06, have 9 trucks from 03 to 06 from 30k to 200k work them in the oilfield really rough on them. problems u joints for some reason lots of u joints a few lift pumps 1 injection pump, auto transmission lines rub need to secure better, a couple carrier bearings, did i say u joints. Haven't had any other problems, oh and one bad key switch.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Chapter President

see above 2 posts ago. You had an injection pump or a common rail go out? Sorry if I was a little short with my last post but it's like some are not getting the message and for some reason I'm taking it as my civic duty to correct. I wonder how bad I would be if I was trying to sell the 07s (WITH THE 5.9)
Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
Thanks for the info...I will be in the market for an automatic.
I heard many horrible stories about Dodges transmissions...any improvements on that?
I think the 'horrible stories' are exagerated! The problem is when adding hp. The stock auto can't handle much more than it's designed for but, IMO, it does that well... even when hauling 10-12,000 lbs. The newer 48RE that came out in 03, is a big improvement.

Here is a link to a post about how long autos are lasting:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=116180

RJ
Old 10-05-2006, 01:31 PM

I kinda figured the transmissions were now built better. It sounds like alot of people have issues with the U Joints?

Well, I am supposed to hear back from Ford regarding their buy back sometime on Friday...wish me luck. I am once again hitting the street today looking at the mega cabs.

Any suggestions for getting a good price ? Is it true dealerships will sell below invoice, not including the rebate?

ThanX !
Old 10-05-2006, 01:43 PM

i got my 06 quad cab for 33,500 and my buddy just got his 06 mega cab for 35,500.. plus all the tax license and junk like that.. but i couldent complain since the window sticker said 42,500.. maby i diddent get the best deal but i definatly dont feel like i got riped off. especialy when i look at the price of the other 2 makers.. just my .02
Old 10-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Boy the dealerships don't know anything about their product. I spent a few hours looking the other day, and I had a salesman bicker with me that Dodge will not build ANY 2007 trucks with the 5.9 in it. So, I told him I will be back in a few weeks to see the 5.9 in the 07 to prove him wrong. He better give me a good price

The rear lights are killing me though on the 07. It looks like they should be on a sport truck instead of a heavy duty. Oh well...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:20 PM

Couldn't help but comment on this issue,

I have a 2003, 5.9 litre.

The truck was in the shop 3 weeks for the first 6 weeks that I owned it for shifting problem and many time after until I finally said screw it. It's covered till 115, i'll deal with it. I ended up putting an after market tranny filter on it and that seemed to make a difference. Still misses a shift from time to time.
Since day one, the wastegate slams shut at about 22PSI Boost, dodge has continued to tell me that there is nothing wrong because there are no faults on the computer.
The most recent problem is my boost while in drive at a stop light idling, flucutatiing from 0-1 Psi on my after market quadzilla? No one can tell me what the deal is.
The dealership is a waste of time, mechanic workmanship sucks big time. They have no idea how to deal with issues. My truck is at 101,000 km's and the fuel pressure is just about at 4 psi when underload going up a hill, 4 is the limit before damage is done to the injector pump. Will chrysler replace the product NO! The 1800 number is the biggest joke knowing to man.

You know what I have say about DODGE and CHRYSLER PRODUCTS,

I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ONE EVER AGAIN!

Far as I know, duramax is the best choice.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by ollie32
Couldn't help but comment on this issue,

I have a 2003, 5.9 litre.

The truck was in the shop 3 weeks for the first 6 weeks that I owned it for shifting problem and many time after until I finally said screw it. It's covered till 115, i'll deal with it. I ended up putting an after market tranny filter on it and that seemed to make a difference. Still misses a shift from time to time.
Since day one, the wastegate slams shut at about 22PSI Boost, dodge has continued to tell me that there is nothing wrong because there are no faults on the computer.
The most recent problem is my boost while in drive at a stop light idling, flucutatiing from 0-1 Psi on my after market quadzilla? No one can tell me what the deal is.
The dealership is a waste of time, mechanic workmanship sucks big time. They have no idea how to deal with issues. My truck is at 101,000 km's and the fuel pressure is just about at 4 psi when underload going up a hill, 4 is the limit before damage is done to the injector pump. Will chrysler replace the product NO! The 1800 number is the biggest joke knowing to man.

You know what I have say about DODGE and CHRYSLER PRODUCTS,

I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ONE EVER AGAIN!

Far as I know, duramax is the best choice.
Looks like you have been lurking here for awhile so you should have figured out that you might just have a lemon and messing with a dealer ship that doesn't know squat. You might try a different dealership before you spend big $$$ and get a new Duramax. Is your Quadzilla Commander a Beta version?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM

Smile

I would say for the money & promos' go for the 06. They will discount them up to 30% and maybe do 0%. The 07 does not get you anything, other than the megacab, which I think they will be MUCH less willing to discount. trucks are not selling well, so maybe they will cut a deal.
I would shop several dealers and get some competitive pricing. Find a dealer that specializies in HD/CTD's. We have A dealer here in Texas that has a rep for good pricing, www.hensonmotors.com. Farm country. .
The new ones will have all the emission stuff, more potential things to go wrong. Further, you can burn the old diesel formula, or new.
Ball joints are not an issue, although there are no grease fittings, so many use the needle adapters to grease them.
The 5.9 has been installed since 92 or so, over 1 million of them. There are not many unhappy owners. The motors are bullit proof, excellent low end torque, max at 1400-1500, 625 ft.lb, I think.
Did I say they get good mileage, for the most part? Many over 20mpg solo.
Get an 06 for 31-33k. Be happy!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Chapter President

I guess your saying that there have been 1 million made since 92? It came in the 89 year model trucks. The 07's have the 5.9 until January. It is the same 5.9 that was in the 05 and the 06 (I don't know why I keep repeating myself) The advantage of an 07 over the 06 is you can order it like you want it. What max? Torque wise? And it's 325 hp and 610ft/lbs. (sorry I'm getting picky)
Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Cool

I went out to the Henson site & saw some good deals on 06. Mega cab for $34 or so? 29k for 4x4 2500? There are enough 06's out there that you can tell em what you want & they should be able to get close. Saving several k is worth some sacrifice, or not.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM

Yeah...getting close = exciting. I am supposed to get a FINAL phone call from Ford tomorrow by the end of the business day to let me know what the buyout status is... Fingers are crossed !

I messed around alittle at the dealership 2 days ago and found the dealer telling me I could get it at invoice (either the 06 or 07) but the 07 will cost me close to 3000 - 3400.00 more due to the difference in rebates, etc. We'll see what happens.

One dealership was having a tough time locating a 2500 or 3500 mineral grey mega cab that had automatic and 3.73's in it. ( I dont want the Laramie) most of them 2500/3500's had 4.10s in it -- I am sorta in farm country so that may be the cause of the gear ratio.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS in the near future...