General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

CUMMINS in the near future...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CUMMINS in the near future...

Hello,

I am in the process of a Ford buyout (hopefully) just too many problems with my 6.0 PSD. (EGR's, oil leaks, not running right, etc) Now, I am not going to sugarcoat anything...I love the Fords looks, etc, but I think I got a bad one.

Anyway, I am now preparing myself with a new rig if all works out...I am not interested in the Duramax, but I now find myself trying to do alot of research on the Dodge/Cummins trucks.

I am looking at the Cummins 2007's Crew cab, 4x4.
Can you guys help me out with some info...

What are the common problems with the Cummins/Dodge?
EGR issues, Transmissions, etc etc ???
Are the 2007 motors the same as 2006 and earlier? Any options I should get or stay away from???

I really don't want to end up going the the dealership for repairs every other month...so any good input is really really appreciated !!!

Thanks!
Tim/ROOFGOOF
Old 09-25-2006, 09:14 PM

I forgot to mention...my uses are:

Occasional towing (Car trailer) about 5 times a year
Alot of highway mileage (15k to 18k a year)
Hauling mulch in the bed a few times as well... as you can see nothing too serious.

Are the oils changes easy, etc ??? I must say the Fords oil changes were too easy and mess free.
Thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 PM

im pretty sure the 07's will have the new 6.7 cummins in it...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhood12
im pretty sure the 07's will have the new 6.7 cummins in it...

Apparently that's going to be the 07.5's... 07's are out now. (I think they're the ones with the fugly fender flares, correct? )
Old 09-25-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
Hello,

I am in the process of a Ford buyout (hopefully) just too many problems with my 6.0 PSD. (EGR's, oil leaks, not running right, etc) Now, I am not going to sugarcoat anything...I love the Fords looks, etc, but I think I got a bad one.

Anyway, I am now preparing myself with a new rig if all works out...I am not interested in the Duramax, but I now find myself trying to do alot of research on the Dodge/Cummins trucks.

I am looking at the Cummins 2007's Crew cab, 4x4.
Can you guys help me out with some info...

What are the common problems with the Cummins/Dodge?
EGR issues, Transmissions, etc etc ???
Are the 2007 motors the same as 2006 and earlier? Any options I should get or stay away from???

I really don't want to end up going the the dealership for repairs every other month...so any good input is really really appreciated !!!

Thanks!
Tim/ROOFGOOF
You will notice more power when pulling/hauling something, but the Dodge won't accelerate as fast as your previous truck.

Were you looking at an auto or 6?

Dodge hasn't issued any recalls on the Cummins (5.9) and if you pop your head in the 3rd gen forum you can find a lot of info there.

I'm assuming you want to stick with the current emission laws?

You could wait for the 6.7 in Feb, or pick up the tried and true 5.9 now...

The drivetrain is as good as it gets in a pickup...

I think you will love it
Old 09-25-2006, 11:02 PM

only problem i have is the turbo lag. but youll get that with all stock cummins.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Chapter President

The 5.9s (with exceptions of the older Cali versions) don't have an EGR and either it is really abused or a pure lemon before you have the other problems of your 6.0 The 6.7 is out in the cab/chassis right now with a derated engine. The January production will be the Duramax fighter. It will be an interesting change, who knows what the new engine will do.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the info...I will be in the market for an automatic.

I like the look of the 07's. I am scared to be the first to try out the new Cummins motor since I had bad luck with the new 6.0 Ford. It seems the EGRs in these motors are screwing everything up...not sure if the new UL sulpher diesel will improve our motors or not.

I assume the new 6.7 cummins have EGR's and all of the other new emission crap?

Are the ball joints bad on these rigs? I heard many horrible stories about Dodges transmissions...any improvements on that?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:03 PM
FAY

Thanks for the info...I will be in the market for an automatic.

I like the look of the 07's. I am scared to be the first to try out the new Cummins motor since I had bad luck with the new 6.0 Ford. It seems the EGRs in these motors are screwing everything up...not sure if the new UL sulpher diesel will improve our motors or not.

I assume the new 6.7 cummins have EGR's and all of the other new emission crap?

Are the ball joints bad on these rigs? I heard many horrible stories about Dodges transmissions...any improvements on that?
It is not really my place to comment on the 6.7 L Cummins, as my Dodge is powered by a 5.9 L Cummins that has not given any problems so far. I would not be apprehensive about getting a 6.7 L unit. The Cummins Company has years of experience manufacturing practical long life reliable engines for various transportation, industrial and agricultural applications. That 6.7 L engine has been used in other applications, then just now being in the Dodge trucks, to prove its reliability. I do not like a V configured gasoline engine and will absolutely not own a V configured diesel engine. Mechanical configuration tells me seven main bearings for six rods is superior to five mains for eight rods, and that means the Cummins can take more abuse for a longer duration of time. As far as the suspension goes, I find the one front drive shaft U-Joint near the transfer case a pain in the backside to grease with the needle grease applicator. I also would like to see more grease fittings on ball joints and on other steering joints, but not just on the tie rod ends where they are present.

There is nothing anyone can do about the emission laws or the implementation of low sulpur content in diesel fuel, and we have to live with them and work around it. I will just put more fuel additive in my tank to help lubricate the pumps and injectors and let Cummins deal with the pollution issues.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:05 PM

Do you know what applications the 6.7L unit is already in?

Are the 6.7 now with EGR valves, etc ??? What is the main difference between the 5.9 and the 6.7 other than horsepower and torque?

Thanks!!!

BTW - not sure if you knew or not, but Rotella T now has a diesel oil that is meant to use with the new ULSD... Rotella oil in the past has given me no problems in my Ford (other than leaking out)... good Blackstone reports too.

I am going thru this buy out from Ford day by day... hope to know something soon.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

The 6.7 will hit in January, go get the 5.9 that would be the smartest thing.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:09 PM

I actually just got back from the dealership...its unfortunate that the sales rep didnt know awhole lot about the diesels..
I think I am sold on the 5.9. How long will they punch out the 5.9's in the 07 models ??? Thats my goal.

The mega long cab is rubbing off on me too...I didn't think I would like it, but after sitting in it...pretty nice. I hate the wood grain on the dash though.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:59 PM

I actually just got back from the dealership...its unfortunate that the sales rep didnt know awhole lot about the diesels..
I think I am sold on the 5.9. How long will they punch out the 5.9's in the 07 models ??? Thats my goal.

The mega long cab is rubbing off on me too...I didn't think I would like it, but after sitting in it...pretty nice. I hate the wood grain on the dash though.
you and many others hate that wood grain crap!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:17 PM

The dealer told me Dodge is going back to a satin color and replacing the wood grain on the 07's. If I can get an 07 with a 5.9L in it, I think I might wait a few months...OR depending on how good the rebates are on the 06's I just might see how good the deals are.

BTW - I am STILL waiting on Ford to see whether they are buying my rig back...the sooner that happens, the faster I get to the Dodge Dealership.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I sat in an '07 the other day with the 5.9. It looked identical under the hood to my '06, and it does NOT have the emissions stuff. It also did not have that woodgrain crap-it was silvery metal, and it looked fine. I think an early '07 would be best for you based on what you've said.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS in the near future...