General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins in the future

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trust me,you would be real REAL real happy with a Detroit Desiel!!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not running this thread to discount other diesels in my beloved Dodge trucks, but more to voice my fears D-C will screw iup a good thing. Reading the numbers on the MBE's I can research, they look pretty good. My main concern comes from things like have been mentioned regarding the Sprinter and its engine -- EGR failures, etc. I also feel somewhat empowered by owning this truck -- it is indeed as powerful, economical, and envied as they come.

As for the International/Navistar contract with Ford: Cummins ISB engines are an option in the F-650 and up platforms. So is a Cat.

Whatever the choice made by D-C, I hope they do their research and marketing right. Last thing I want to see is Dodge go through the 6.0 scenario. Not building a super strong Chasis Cab model is already a huge mistake in my estimation. I cringe when I hear the local ambulance pull down our street -- sounds like they may have a bad injector or valve in that POS of theirs.

I did feel pretty good seeing a large Freightliner rolloff carrying a car and towing a Super Duty wrecker at the same time. Made me chuckle. I had seen the wrecker and car hooked up sitting by the roadside an hour earlier.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by njoverkill
Well does Ford have a contract with International/Navistar? IF so how are htey going to go and put a Cummins ina Ford if they're obligated to use a Powerjoke?
From August 28, 2004's Autotech Daily:

Ford Motor Co. plans to introduce a 6.2-liter V-8 and new gasoline and diesel V-6 engines beginning in 2007, reports Automotive News. A new version of the automaker’s Powerstroke V-8 diesel also is in the works.........................
.....................The new V-6 diesel likely will be supplied by Cummins Inc. It is expected to be used in the Expedition, F-150 and possibly the Navigator sometime after 2007. A new version of the 6.0-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel used in Super Duty pickups also is in the works. The current V-8 is supplied by Navistar, but this may change due to recent problems between the two companies.
AUTOTECH DAILY
Old 06-15-2005, 11:54 AM

.......................a V6 diesel? Hey whatever, I encourage diesels to be put in all vehicles not just 3/4 and 1 tons.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally posted by BUCKSHOTMCKEE
I would possibly divorce my Cummins for a Cat.
That's what you say now. Just wait till that first visit to the CAT dealer for an oil change or a valve lash adjustment.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Well I guess we will have to wait and see. I think the 07 emission requirements are BS. I't will be interesting to see if Ford or GM gets something close to a cummins engine (real diesel engine) in their truck.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:23 AM

I agree with 67HotRod that the 07 emission requirements are BS. If Detroit or Mercedes can build an engine that is as good as a Cummins, I'd would buy one in the future. I'm not sure if Ford was to get a Cat, it would make much difference in market share.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:50 PM

i don't see a problem with MB diesels in dodges, nor a cummins in a ford.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by 67HotRod
Friend of mine has been a ford mech (25+ years) working on the big and little stuff. Folks he knows for many years at ford is saying that starting in 07. DC nor ford has an engine that will pass the 07 diesel emissions test. So ford is looking at either another redesigned v8 or an inline 6. Rumor is a cat motor may end up in a ford, because cat has a diesel engine that will pass the 07 emissions test. Haven't heard what DC is going to do. No idea if the duramax will pass....
not that is small enough for a pick-up
Old 06-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by njoverkill
.......................a V6 diesel? Hey whatever, I encourage diesels to be put in all vehicles not just 3/4 and 1 tons.
ditto

there are many small trucks (toyotas, isuzus, etc) with diesels, but they don't import them here. how cool would a 150HP/350+FPT compact pick-up be? especially if it clipped down the freeway at 30+MPG.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
After seeing some of the reliability ratings in Consumer Reports, I'm not so sure I would care to own a pickup with a MB engine...

I think the Cummins had a lot to do with breathing new life into Dodge, and I doubt they would chance a reversal by changing that.

On the other hand, they still don't have a crew cab long box, they "upgraded" the manual transmission to one with an alloy case and dual mass flywheel and lower OD, and it looks like they are going to carry over the styling of their recently uglified Dakota and Durango to full size trucks...

Who knows what they could be thinking...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Commatoze
From August 28, 2004's Autotech Daily:

Ford Motor Co. plans to introduce a 6.2-liter V-8 and new gasoline and diesel V-6 engines beginning in 2007, reports Automotive News. A new version of the automaker’s Powerstroke V-8 diesel also is in the works.........................
.....................The new V-6 diesel likely will be supplied by Cummins Inc. It is expected to be used in the Expedition, F-150 and possibly the Navigator sometime after 2007. A new version of the 6.0-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel used in Super Duty pickups also is in the works. The current V-8 is supplied by Navistar, but this may change due to recent problems between the two companies.
AUTOTECH DAILY

Great time to get back from school!, I work for an International Dealership. I just went to school in Chicago for the new vt 265 Internationals new V6, Being designed for School busses, Internationals new Family edition trucks, and a twin turbo version for Ford Expidition F150 excursion and so on. Which i wouldnt have believed if i didnt see a few of them myself. And we have the training material at the shop now. I believe the numbers were like 210hp 360 tq, Id have to look that up to be sure on it though. The trainin video and bookk we have is actually on the heavy duty version for International trucks. So numbers may change for the Ford Motor Group.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:05 PM

Seems that.....

There was a Cummins.com link in the recent past that stated that the Dodge/Cummins contract ran thru 2010. That's plenty o'time for things to change. DC knows the value of marketing - just look at it's "Hemi". Big whoop. You want performance, go CTD. You want marketing, go Hemi. DC is already positioned to offer a small displacement (2.7l?) V6 MB derived td in the Liberty and other similar vehicles. To my knowledge, these engines already meet 07 standards (what sense would it be to introduce them as 06's for only a year??)
And as far as diesels go, DC doesnt HAVE to market it's diesels. CTD/Dodge Ram. Everyone knows it. Those who work with their trucks know it. Sure they have their issues. But over the big picture, they can't be beat.
It doesn't make sense that DC will merely drop the CTD after 25+ years.