General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins ECM repair software

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cummins ECM repair software

Hello everyone, Im new to this stuff ECM repair. I use to work on cellphone software but I now want to learn as much as I can about ECM repair. I Was wondering if anyone in this forum could direct me to somewhere that I could find the software used to diagnose a Cummins ECM, or a program to reflash/flash the ECM's... Where to find the flash files and the cables and equipment I might need to work on ECM's... and even where I might be able to find the replacement chips..boards..etc in the event these things need to be replaced.

thanks!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First you don't have a Cummins ecm on your truck, you have a Dodge ecm, there is a big difference. I don't think you can do it. From what I understand Cummins keeps a watchful eye on any company producing such a thing.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 PM

Really? That's interesting... Thank you very much for the info.. I appreciate it. IF anyone else has any info please post... I will also be posting anything information I gather...

thanks again!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The software needed to recalibrate and/or reflash the ECM on Cummins engines is Cummins Insite. Although very pricey and with a subscription each year to boot. There are about 4 versions of Insite you can buy. The top version is the same as say a computer with admin privelidges. Read, modify etc. The lower the version you go, the less access. The 100 pin (Cummins Version) ECM is used on all applications other than Dodge. The 100 pin ECM is made by Motorola. I have seen one apart while at the Cummins training center. Basically it looks like a desktop motherboard folded in half and sealed at the edges with silicone with the metal outer shell.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:37 PM

thanks for the information. So, with the "ADMIN" version of INSITE I can diagnose problems on the actual board? Flash the eeprom? Do they have an eeprom even? Find out what chip on the board is causing the ECM to fail? Things of that nature.. in other words..this application will diagnose and allow to repair actual problems on the ECM?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:52 AM

Anyone know where I could purchase this app? I called cummins and they advised their insite that they sell to the public will only allow you to do diagnostics on the ecm relating to the engine.. but not actually repair the ecm.. Anyone know if I can purchase it from someone directly?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one but Cummins (or the company that builds the ECM, Motorola) can "repair" the ECM. Like I said, Insite allows you to recalibrate, reflash, read diagnostics, clear codes, monitor data. Most of the ECM failures is a result to an internal driver error. Mostly caused when codes time out at 255. (When a code has occured 255 times the ECM quits counting them) Basically it just confuses the heck out of it. We have been able to save a quite a few failures by recalibrating an ECM after, say, a 368 code with 255 counts (timing failure for the Vp44). Replace the pump and recalibrate. I suggest you talk to Marco or Keith at Diesel Dynamics. I know Marco has played around with the ECMs logic and I do believe Keith has as well.

Why not get a 100 pin ECM, 50 pin Deutch connector. Wire up 2 constant voltage wires, 1 ignition, one for the J1939 CAN+ and J1939- or J1708. And build your own sofware to read and modify the algorithym. A pretty tuff job but, if your interested, it might be a shot.

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2005, 09:35 PM

the program you need is called Cal Term , it is what the Cummins engineers use for changes to calibrations. they are pretty common out there, just need the understanding of how to use it , was working with two engineer from Columbus yesterday doing field testing on 07 ISM we have running out here. and using Cal Term , but even they didnt have the knowledge to make the changes we needed and was in constant contact with calibration team writer back at the factory.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 AM

interesting.. I very much appreciate the information.... Have you ever come across a schematic for the ECM's or possibly a firmware file..flash file..etc...? Im guessing these things have an eeprom just like cellphones? Im fascinated... do you guys know of a good resource to do some reading on Cummins ECM's?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:21 AM

Monty..thanks for the info too.. I just realized you had posted.. I'm going to start working on something pretty soon..Im just gathering information and research since this is totally new to me. I really appreciate all your assistance...
Old 07-01-2005, 07:54 AM

Here is a few links that might be interresting to you...

For the interface cable...
http://inline.cummins.com/

For the software setting of the Cummins...
http://www.powerspec.cummins.com/sit...efi_engine.htm