General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins Announces switch to SCR for 2010 engines!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cummins Announces switch to SCR for 2010 engines!

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...27&newsLang=en

Folks, this is a HUGE shift in approach by Cummins, and we're scrambling to pull it off.

While it puts us into a tighter spot as engineers, I feel strongly that it's the right thing to do. SCR is fast becoming the industry standard, and recent (like, within the last 3 months!) technology advances in SCR really changed the calculus of which emissions strategy to pursue.

Good on Cummins for having the courage to do the right thing even if it hurts a little to get there.

The advantages to the customer are better MPG.

When Cummins initially decided to pursue an in-cylinder emissions control approach, SCR wasn't all that efficient and diesel fuel was <$3/gal.

Now, SCR is far better than before (>90% efficient at NOx conversion under some conditions!) and MPG is dearer than ever.

Consider this: a 1% increase in mpg would save a line-haul trucking company $1000 per truck per year.

That's real money, and it's the right thing to do to deliver the very best MPG possible.

Justin
Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as it actually works as advertised , all is good....
mishkaya
Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM

Better MPG's compared to what?
Sounds like more stuff to break to me.
I'll keep my 5.9, thank you.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM

I was hoping that I was going to read that they were doing away with the DPF's and replacing them with the SCR's - looks like they're going to both....

Oh goody -

I'm logging off and going out to wash and wax my 5.9. She's gonna have to be around a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG time.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 PM

I should have mentioned-- this is for HD engines (ISX, ISM, etc).

jh
Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 PM

Is that instead of going with a Urea system? How about a Cole's notes version of SCR, for those of us interested, but not interested enough to actually search the internet (me).
Old 08-14-2008, 06:33 AM

No, SCR *is* urea.

You spray in the urea in the exhaust, and it converts into ammonia in the piping. Then the ammonia enters a special catalyst with the exhaust where it converts the NOx into N2 and O2.

So here's the exhaust system flow most companies use with SCR: turbo-> hydrocarbon doser (i.e. fuel injector)-> DPF-> urea doser->conversion tube (urea into ammonia)-> SCR catalyst-> tailpipe.

Considering such a system can deliver 90% less NOx levels than the levels my truck came with bone stock, it's really impressive technology.

jmo
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 AM

Impressive... but it does sound like something everyone will be figuring out how to remove . Kidding!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Diesel Emissions for Dummies

Originally Posted by HOHN
No, SCR *is* urea.

You spray in the urea in the exhaust, and it converts into ammonia in the piping. Then the ammonia enters a special catalyst with the exhaust where it converts the NOx into N2 and O2.

So here's the exhaust system flow most companies use with SCR: turbo-> hydrocarbon doser (i.e. fuel injector)-> DPF-> urea doser->conversion tube (urea into ammonia)-> SCR catalyst-> tailpipe.

Considering such a system can deliver 90% less NOx levels than the levels my truck came with bone stock, it's really impressive technology.

jmo

The DPF traps particulates, the SCR (Urea) reduces NOx emissions- same purpose as the EGR, right? So your original post made it sound like SCR could replace the EGR. Is that correct?

Edit: Just read the press release. The big engines will still have both EGR and SCR, so where do the MPG savings come from?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Edit: Just read the press release. The big engines will still have both EGR and SCR, so where do the MPG savings come from?
As I understand it, right now they inject fuel into the dpf to react with the NOx to form the O2 and N2. So with the SCR they now do not need to do that so you don't loose mpg by injecting fuel into the exhaust.

I may be off base here though.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's it. I am keeping my truck FOREVEEER!!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 PM

not sure how its gonna get better fuel econ. all our EGR trucks get 3-4 MPG worse than their non-EGR counterpart.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 PM

I like to take pride in my work, and not scramble to pull things off.
Haste makes waste is something I learned in first grade.
Meeting 2010 emissions in 2007 is nothing that interested me at all.
Getting better fuel mileage sounds great, but make it affordable and not extremely complicated, and people will buy it. But you know as well as I know, nothing good comes easy.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM

im lovin my 12valve more everyday, im never getting rid of it
Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No kidding! Diesel is 80 cents higher that regular in my area...and now another emission control that is going to make the world a little greener! No thanks, I will stick with my 5.9 Cummins!

Quick Reply: Cummins Announces switch to SCR for 2010 engines!