General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

which crewcab is favored?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=MJDiesel]

Don't rule out the GM pickups either. That duramax is a good engine, and the Allison automatic is great. The new six speed with the double overdrive will be great for fuel economy. I have been around many GM pickups, and they are probably the most tight, solid pickup out there.

[QUOTE]

Everybody has their own opinion:
I was the fleet manager for an environmental company, they HAD all GM's. I could NOT keep up with the reapir of those things--trannies, rearends, engines, etc.etc. So we ended up with a fleet of CTD's and 7.3 Powerstrokes, much better vehicles.

Just MHO!!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MJDiesel
Don't rule out the GM pickups either. That duramax is a good engine, and the Allison automatic is great. The new six speed with the double overdrive will be great for fuel economy. I have been around many GM pickups, and they are probably the most tight, solid pickup out there.

Everybody has their own opinion:
I was the fleet manager for an environmental company, they HAD all GM's. I could NOT keep up with the reapir of those things--trannies, rearends, engines, etc.etc. and that is not even mentioning the little things. So we ended up with a fleet of CTD's and 7.3 Powerstrokes, much better vehicles.

Just MHO!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Necred
Thanx, MJ
This is the sorta info i was hoping to get....practical and not biased....
I know there are issues with every truck, i like my 93 w250, it rides rough,take a field to turn around, noisy, but i dont worry about a nick, has classic looks and from what ive read is relatively easy to get more power & maintain down the road...but, its becoming less practical and i need to be realistic about my needs.... a gasser would be less upfront, more amenities. fuel at every corner. I have friends with Fords 4.8(?) and Chevys 5.7 crewcabs and they both love them, of course the trucks are only few yrs old..
Most of my hauling/pulling would not top 5k,,,I like the looks of all 3 , i would love to afford the Mega Cab, i guess its only in Diesel....Decisions, decisions...
thanx
My old 92 works great for what I need, and it may be a while until I get something newer. With the price of fuel, I might be looking for a nicer car, and keeping the Dodge for my pickup needs.

The mega cab does come with a Hemi. It is a 3/4 ton (8-lug axles), but is labelled as a 1500, kind of like a 1500 HD Chevrolet. If they still make the 1500 HD, that would be another option.