General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

which crewcab is favored?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which crewcab is favored?

i am a relatively new diesel owner (2yrs) two 12v...I need a crewcab and I am considering which late model truck is best for my limited use. It will not be a daily driver & i will pull less 7k once/twice per month. I have not heard very good things about the 24 CTD as with the new Ford 6.0, I m looking for input from the most knowledgeable group of diesel heads i can find, this forum...I will entertain gas engine.....thanx in advance
Old 05-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I don't get what your asking..... You want to know the best crew cab to buy brand new? or just in general? you looking to do a 1st gen motor swap into a crew cab?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:26 PM

I happen to be particularly fond of the 1st gen Club Cab, but this is, after all, the 1st gen. forum
Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by goodtyms
I happen to be particularly fond of the 1st gen Club Cab, but this is, after all, the 1st gen. forum
I agree on the first gen, after all it is a first gen forum. and I still don't under stand the question.

Greg
Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Necred
I have not heard very good things about the 24 CTD as with the new Ford 6.0,
if you want a late model, the only option would be a chevy duramax

cuz... dodge made NO crew cabs which are not 24 valves,
and ford has no late models crew cab, which have not the 6.0 (xcept future6.4)
Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 PM

so....lets get this strait......you were telling us (in a strange way) that you want a 3/4 or 1-ton GMC/Chevrolet DURACRAP with a 4door crew cab

oh and.....ya arent gunna drive it all the time??
Old 05-06-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only real crewcab out there is the Dodge Mega Cab. Makes the Ford and GM crewcabs downright cramped looking.

mikeyB
Old 05-06-2006, 07:08 AM

which crewcab?

i was just asking for opinions.afterall everyone has one ...i need a crewcab, something i can put 2 car seats in back with doors. the 24v ctd & the Ford 6.0 doesnt seem to have a good rep as trouble free/economical rides...i guess my choices are duramax/ctd/7.3 diesels or same brands in gas. which do yall prefer for overall performance/user friendly/economical..
Old 05-06-2006, 08:37 AM

so ya think a 7.3 powerstroke has better fuel economy and is "trouble free" and that the 5.9 24V Cummins is a bad engine.

first of all this forum is a majority of Cummins owners and your saying its not a good engine?????
so....to try and get this strait again you are just asking if you should get a 7.3 powersroke or a DuraCRAP

a rescue team up here had duramax in thier trucks and lost 4 of 'em and they had less than 20,000mi on them
Old 05-06-2006, 08:55 AM

OK, I have a '05 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins diesel, automatic, QuadCab, 4x4, short bed. I drive it everyday. I have no reason to think it is unreliable. I have a few mods, but get 18 mpg in town, better hiway. The standard Dodge is the smallest of the quad cab designs, but by no means too small for children car seats. My grand-kids fit there fine, as do adults. I prefer the handling of the Dodge to the '04 Ford PS 4x4 I had. It was just scarey on 2 lanes hiways, wandered all over the place. A friend of mine recently got pulled over in his '05 Ford 4x4 PS, by a sheriff because he couldn't keep it in one lane on an uneven road in a crosswind, thought he was drunk.
If I were looking for a new '06, I'd have to look at the new GM's. The addition of more head bolts, to address the headgasket problem, and the 6spd Allison automatic make it interesting.
I don't think I could go back to gas powered after running a diesel.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:06 PM

i had an 03 duramax...would not recommend to anyone!
it stayed in the shop 27 days out of the first ten months
problems included: intermediate shaft, head gasket, annoying rattling in dash(they suggested i drive the truck without the dash for a week so i could find the pesky noise myself never did), transmission would not shift out of third gear, four sets of fog lights burnt out, several others that i can't remember-its been too long....i read an article on the new six speed allison in the new diesel builder magazine(page 34)...
quote"The sixth gear--essentially a second overdrive--enables a wide, 5.08:1 overall forward gear ratio coverage and allows the vehicles engine to operate at alower RPM."...that sounds like it would not be much help in the actual towing, but on highway trips running empty???? dunno????
traded it for my current truck...dodge ctd owner for life..
i love the truck, it has done everything i've needed and more....
i've got 35,000 on the truck and have done nothing but change the oil and filters and put fuel in it....not one problem with ANYTHING!!!
my opinion is you can't buy a more reliable or powerful diesel than the ctd..
again just my 2 cents..hope this helps
Old 05-06-2006, 05:06 PM

most people would say oh thats SAD but me i say GOOD -dont get me wrong it sucks for you- its 'bout time people realize how much crap GM is selling.
the only thing good about GM is the Vortec but it aint worth the pain in the BUTT of owning the rest of the vehicle all the rattles and noises, we were told one time that a shudder in the Allison before 75,000 was as the dealer put it "its under tolerance" and we had only pulled with it a few times and nothin big either (chevy express 3500 with towing pkg) i think a little different of the Allison tranny now just wounder how good they really are.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:15 AM

which crewcab?

Thanx, dooly, coontz,topless
I know im repeating myself, but, i only trying to be clear and not make accusations. Im trying to get the opinions of people that may have knowledge of either or all (CTD/7.3/6.0/Duramax) diesels or gas to help me decide my next purchase, (not new) ...I hear 1st gen owners complain about the 24v and 24v/12v complain about the Fords/Duramax....The truck i have cannot meet my future needs..This next truck will not be a daily driver, i will tow/haul occasssionally, no more than 7k and i will use it on road trips..No, im not saying either one is best because i dont know, i have learned that the 12v (ive had 92w350 & 93w250) are easiest to maintain because of their mechanical simplicity. I could be satisfied with a 98 12v QC, but they are rare & very expensive to purchase. Im not gonna put up to 20-25k in a truck that lacks the amenities of the new vehicles, afterall im not gonna be the only passenger or driver. I drove a 03 Dodge CC/gasser (360) over weekend and i liked it...
Thanx again
Old 05-08-2006, 08:24 AM

If you heard bad things about the 24 valve, the person that you heard it from was most likely referring to the 98-02 models with the VP44 injector pump. The VP44 has a tendency to grenade when the lift pump goes bad, because there is not enough fuel pressure. Also, some of the earlier models (98-00, I think) had a "53" block, which cracked in some instances. There was no crew cab offered in 98-02, so it is really not a concern for you anyway.

The 03-present common rail injection 24 valve 5.9 has been a pretty solid engine. Some people have had problems, but it has been at least as reliable as any other diesel out there. The automatic transmission is not the best out there, but it works, and there is an awesome 6 speed manual if that s what you want. The pickup is offered with a crew cab, and the 06 models open up the possibility of a Mega Cab, if thats what you need!

Don't rule out the GM pickups either. That duramax is a good engine, and the Allison automatic is great. The new six speed with the double overdrive will be great for fuel economy. I have been around many GM pickups, and they are probably the most tight, solid pickup out there.

If you are only towing 7000 lbs, and not very often, a gas engine would definitely be an option. You are going to hear differently from many people here, but don't rule out the gas engine. If you get a 3/4 ton Dodge with a Hemi, or a Chevy with a 6 liter, either will handle the load that you pull. In fact, a half ton with the Hemi, or the 5.3 Vortec would work great. Also, you will save a considerable amount of money up front, and gasoline is more widely avavilable. The mileage of the gas engine will probably be less, but it might not matter too much if you have already saved so much. Of course, the diesel will make great mileage, have a **** load of power, and will have a better resale value; so its all up to you and what you want.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:14 AM

which crewcab?

Thanx, MJ
This is the sorta info i was hoping to get....practical and not biased....
I know there are issues with every truck, i like my 93 w250, it rides rough,take a field to turn around, noisy, but i dont worry about a nick, has classic looks and from what ive read is relatively easy to get more power & maintain down the road...but, its becoming less practical and i need to be realistic about my needs.... a gasser would be less upfront, more amenities. fuel at every corner. I have friends with Fords 4.8(?) and Chevys 5.7 crewcabs and they both love them, of course the trucks are only few yrs old..
Most of my hauling/pulling would not top 5k,,,I like the looks of all 3 , i would love to afford the Mega Cab, i guess its only in Diesel....Decisions, decisions...
thanx

Quick Reply: which crewcab is favored?