General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Convince me and my dad to trade my NEW car for a used diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me and my dad to trade my NEW car for a used diesel.

Sorry about this being kinda long...

Well, like the title says. Please convince me and my dad to trade my 04 SRT-4 for a used diesel. I've found a 98 12v 5spd with the newer interior and 233000 miles on ebay, and can buy it now for $10,500. Or they have some newer 24v trucks with around 150000 miles and most are 5spds. They are all priced around 10-15k. And since my car will bring about 15-16k trade in I know that if I traded that the truck would be paid for. Which means no more car payments for me!! But concince me why I should do this, and also convince my dad. To him a truck with 233000 miles on it is just a worn out piece of crap. But I know that it is just gotten broken in and still has a lot left in it. Do you think that would even be a good trade? Please help, I've always wanted a diesel and now have the chance to trade my new car in for a used one. Should I?

Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:39 PM

You're going to take a beating if you trade in an '04. Any way you could afford an older truck and keep your car as a daily driver or something?
Chris
Old 08-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Convince me and my dad to trade my NEW car for a used diesel.

Originally posted by faster_than_ford
Sorry about this being kinda long...

Well, like the title says. Please convince me and my dad to trade my 04 SRT-4 for a used diesel. I've found a 98 12v 5spd with the newer interior and 233000 miles on ebay, and can buy it now for $10,500. Or they have some newer 24v trucks with around 150000 miles and most are 5spds. They are all priced around 10-15k. And since my car will bring about 15-16k trade in I know that if I traded that the truck would be paid for. Which means no more car payments for me!! But concince me why I should do this, and also convince my dad. To him a truck with 233000 miles on it is just a worn out piece of crap. But I know that it is just gotten broken in and still has a lot left in it. Do you think that would even be a good trade? Please help, I've always wanted a diesel and now have the chance to trade my new car in for a used one. Should I?

Thanks!!
Listen to your dad.

I'm confused on one thing though. You said the trucks are $10K to 15K and that your car will bring $15K or so....so that you would have no car payments because that would pay for the truck. I trust that means that you have no car payment now because your car is paid for (otherwise the trade in would not pay for the new truck)....so what does that accomplish for you? In other words, if you owe $15K on your car right now you'll have to get $30K for trade in so that you can pay off your current loan AND buy the new (used) truck. If you owe $15K and you get $15K then all you're doing is making an even swap and you still have payments (along with an older vehicle that you know nothing about).

I recommend diesel to anyone....but I personally would not buy a truck with a quarter million miles on it...or even 150,000 miles for that matter. It could work out well for you....but on the other hand you could just be buying someone else's problem.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:47 PM

Re: Re: Convince me and my dad to trade my NEW car for a used diesel.

Originally posted by Hoss
Listen to your dad.

I recommend diesel to anyone....but I personally would not buy a truck with a quarter million miles on it...or even 150,000 miles for that matter. It could work out well for you....but on the other hand you could just be buying someone else's problem.

I agree completely. I would trust MY truck at that mileage, but not someone else's. Trading in a 2004 vehicle would also surely lose you a great deal of money.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Convince me and my dad to trade my NEW car for a used diesel.

Originally posted by amartinson
I agree completely. I would trust MY truck at that mileage, but not someone else's. Trading in a 2004 vehicle would also surely lose you a great deal of money.
Sorry Felluz!
I have to disagree with you there. If you check the vehicle out completely or have a reputable person check it for you, there's no reason not to buy something with that many miles. Sometimes things work better than new because it is used. I've seen new engines smoke because the rings haven't seated, or doors tight to open or close because there is NO WEAR on the hinge pins.
Was the motor or tranny already changed? Maybe the engine only has 3000 miles on it. Maybe the rear end just had been replace a week ago. Maybe it was owned by some old man living in the county and bought the truck as a combination with a 5th wheel camper and he put the 5er on a seasonal campsite and no longer needs the truck as with mine.
I bought my truck with 207,000 km's and I don't regret it. Ive seen people buy almost new vehicles with very little miles and have nothing but troubles because it was neglected or abused.
New vehicles have problems. That's why the LEMON LAW was created. It's all a judgement call based on a persons likes and dislikes or needs. Sometimes somebody needs a particuliar style vehicle but can't afford a new one. Are they supposed to pass on it for that or take it to have it looked at to see if it's worth it.

Just my opinion. I'm one who would look at taking a chance if the price was right. I'm proof that USED can work for you.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:43 PM

There is USED, then there is 233,000 miles. I bought my truck used. I saved almost 20K off the sticker price. These trucks have excellent engines, but even THEY don't last forever. That is a lot of miles on a chassis even if it was well taken care of.

You bought your truck with 128,000 miles on it. If it was well checked out and had service records, I would buy it too if the price was right.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:09 PM

I say do more looking around.I found my truck after a few months of looking,and it only had 89k on it,and I paid $15,900,for a loaded 4x4 truck.Its been great so far.

You may have to pay alittle more than 10-15k,which is fairly cheap for decent diesel truck.Keep lookin.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:57 PM

There are a lot of great trucks for sale cheap, around 13-18k. right now is a key time to buy new and used. new because the newer models are coming in, used because they users want the new trucks so they selling them for anything they can get. go to autotrader.com and ill betcha you will find what you want real quick real close to ya! keep on lookin, i looked for 3 months and finally bought new but i also looked through the months of may-july so not real good deals, im only 20, bought the new truck at age 19 and payments for me are fine with only a $10.00/hr job and full time student. put your mind and heart to it and you will get what you want!
as for the trade in thing i agree with the other guys... you will get ripped big time from the dealer, if u wanna go that route try selling it yourself...

just my .02
Eric
Old 08-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Convince me and my dad to trade my NEW car for a used diesel.

Originally posted by Rammer64
Sorry Felluz!
I have to disagree with you there. If you check the vehicle out completely or have a reputable person check it for you, there's no reason not to buy something with that many miles. Sometimes things work better than new because it is used. I've seen new engines smoke because the rings haven't seated, or doors tight to open or close because there is NO WEAR on the hinge pins.
Was the motor or tranny already changed? Maybe the engine only has 3000 miles on it. Maybe the rear end just had been replace a week ago. Maybe it was owned by some old man living in the county and bought the truck as a combination with a 5th wheel camper and he put the 5er on a seasonal campsite and no longer needs the truck as with mine.
I bought my truck with 207,000 km's and I don't regret it. Ive seen people buy almost new vehicles with very little miles and have nothing but troubles because it was neglected or abused.
New vehicles have problems. That's why the LEMON LAW was created. It's all a judgement call based on a persons likes and dislikes or needs. Sometimes somebody needs a particuliar style vehicle but can't afford a new one. Are they supposed to pass on it for that or take it to have it looked at to see if it's worth it.

Just my opinion. I'm one who would look at taking a chance if the price was right. I'm proof that USED can work for you.
That's all well and good....if you're lucky. It could be that you buy the new truck with NONE of the new stuff listed above and you end up with a truck where the doors are falling off because the hinges have too much wear, the engine is smoking for who only knows why, the engine needs to be replaced as well as the tranny, the gears in the rear end are worn down from not being taken care of and the list goes on.

I'm with you...if the price is right it may be worth taking the chance. However, would I pay $10K for a truck with a quarter million miles on it?? Sorry...no can do. Like you said though...it's a judgement call.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:09 PM

Maybe you should step back and take a close look at what you really need. you have a nice new car that is under warranty, do you wanna give that up for something that is gonna need money dumped in it all the time? It sounds to me like you "want" a diesel, you don't "need" a diesel. Most of these trucks with a 1/4 million miles on them that I trade in are wore out rattle traps, some are that way with only 100k on em. And when these suckers break they cost big bucks to fix. I just sold a 97' 2500 reg cab 5-speed I had at the auction today with 135000 miles on it for $8500, but it was a piece of crap, it needed $5000 worth of repairs before I'd want to set it on my lot for sale. Stick with your car, you'll be $'s ahead in the long run.