General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

converting diesel engine to alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
converting diesel engine to alcohol

I am looking for information about how the super stock tractor pullers convert their diesel engines to run on alcohol.

How are they getting the fuel into the engine? Carburetor, EFI, MFI?

How are the timing and ignition systems set up?

I Know this is a truck forum, but I dont know where elts to post this. I haven't been able to find a good tractor pulling forum.

Any help is appreciated,

thanks
Dave
Old 08-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

One six-pack at a time
Old 08-16-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking at a picture of the Silver Bullet ATPA SuperStocker w/3208 Cat V8 diesel. It ran on alky and compression fired it too like diesel.
I'd say the best details are in the pits at your next ATPA or NTPA pulling event.
They're supposed to pull in Nashville at the Tenn.State Fair this Sept.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 PM

it would still have to be injected into a diesel engine. that is the only way you would have to time it.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:49 PM

Rodolf Diesel , who invented the diesel eng. tried a lot of things [ coal dust, amonia ] before he end ed pu with vegi oil.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:49 PM

I thought the silver bullet had a fancy ignition system and billet aluminum heads.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:24 PM

From what little i've read, is that they do have spark plugs.

dave

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the chance too look at the silver bullet and their rig close out at Mercer, PA one time.

The silver bullet has spark plugs, custom aluminum heads, three turbos. The graphics on it are really quite impressive.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a natural gas version of the 6B.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:29 PM

yea theres a cummins 6BT with sparkplugs
Old 08-18-2005, 05:11 PM

The trick isn't getting the alcohol into the engine, it is getting it into the engine cold enough to get all the horse out of it. I have heard that you get the max out of alcohol at about 40 or 50 F I think. This is pretty cold to keep a fuel at while your creating that much heat. Also, I would agree with Clunk on looking in the puts for info. Most guys will tell you the basics of their engine, it is the little stuff that they wont tell you. I went to the national pulls last year and it was awsome. There was so much info floating around in there. My wife's uncle used to pull. He doesn't pull anymore though. I know where there is a JD 8000 (I think this is the series) sitting that is be for sale. There isn't very many hours on the engine, it was just getting to expensive for him. Those guys put around 10K a year into the motors just to stay competetive. Amazing when you see one guy with three tractors in the national pulls (Ryan's Toys).
Old 08-18-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by farmer dave
Amazing when you see one guy with three tractors in the national pulls (Ryan's Toys).
I was in Robert's barn/shop Monday night!!! Talk about wild...3 alcohol Case's, and 1 Twin TURBINE mod!!!!!

The alcohols are triple turboed, with sparkplugs. I think the alcohol is injected into the intake runner...kinda like Multi-port. I cant remember if this is correct or not!

He fired on of them up for us, it was unreal, or so I thought....then he lit up the starter turbine on his turbine tractor. It has two T64 turbines with a little one in the middle for starting. That was the one he fired. That was the closest I've ever been to a jet engine in my life!!!

Chris
Old 08-18-2005, 09:45 PM

WOW, that must have been cool. I have never really been that close to one running, but they sure look awsome when they run.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by signature600
I was in Robert's barn/shop Monday night!!! Talk about wild...3 alcohol Case's, and 1 Twin TURBINE mod!!!!!

The alcohols are triple turboed, with sparkplugs. I think the alcohol is injected into the intake runner...kinda like Multi-port. I cant remember if this is correct or not!

He fired on of them up for us, it was unreal, or so I thought....then he lit up the starter turbine on his turbine tractor. It has two T64 turbines with a little one in the middle for starting. That was the one he fired. That was the closest I've ever been to a jet engine in my life!!!

Chris
I HAVE A PHONE!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:10 AM

Whoooopps!!! Sorry Brandon, invitation only! I don't think he would have like me taking pictures either.

We were actually there because we are suppliers to his Ag Commodities group...he owns "The Equipment Superstore" and here we are! Talk about a nice place though .

Chris
Old 08-19-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by signature600

Chris
I hear ya, never been next to a turbine tractor, but I worked on Gas turbines in the Navy, the ran on #2, my favorite part was starting the engines up! Nothing sounds like it

Quick Reply: converting diesel engine to alcohol