General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Common Rail Transplant Into A First Gen Half Ton

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common Rail Transplant Into A First Gen Half Ton

Alrite guys, this is gonna be a deuce of a job. I want to transplant a Common Rail Cummins into my 1989 Dodge Power Ram W100 4x4. I'm pretty **** sure it will fit, you can live in that engine compartment. As soon as I get a TDI, the truck will be stripped down to the frame and slowly rebuilt. It's getting one ton axles, blasted and Line-X coated frame and underbody, new paint and body work, pretty much everything will be new. This is going to happen no matter what. But my main concern is the engine. I'm not worried about it street legal at all, I'm going to tag it historic because I'll only use it for some mudding, pulling, and hunting. I have several questions. What do I need to do to the frame? I'm thinking about shooting for 800hp, I want the engine built up mechanically and electronically, so I know the frame needs attention. How much stuff do I need from the CR? Like do I need the CR's master brake cylinder, any steering components, anything that the CR needs to work? How bout engine mounts? Will I have to get these custom made? Is there any way to eliminate ALL emissions components on the engine? Like reprogramming the computer? Emissions is a tiny little fly that wants to bother around my ear and it's better if it's completely gone. I'm assuming that I just take the transmission that comes with CR and build it to match, or is there something better? (I want an Automatic). Oh, when I mean rebuilt I mean the body and frame will be the only stock things left. I'm planning on the interior door panels being sheet metal, have a custom tube and sheet metal dash made, suspension seats, and everything. What should I do about the fuel tank too? This truck is going to see some serious use, I don't want to have to worry about losing all of fuel from a punctured tank. Should I make some kind of custom fuel cell in the bed? Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM

I THINK I saw a program that said Painless was making a plug-n-play harness for a CRD. They said you need the computers and accelerator pedal assembly (fly by wire), but I don't remember if the key was neccessary. I've used a couple of Painless's harnesses before, both times to put F.I. 5.7's into boats. They were exactly as advertised. Painless. Minimal re-engineering on my part, mostly just shortening wires.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Check out mastmotorsports.com, they were close to having a complete standalone system for a common rail Cummins.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
I THINK I saw a program that said Painless was making a plug-n-play harness for a CRD. They said you need the computers and accelerator pedal assembly (fly by wire), but I don't remember if the key was neccessary. I've used a couple of Painless's harnesses before, both times to put F.I. 5.7's into boats. They were exactly as advertised. Painless. Minimal re-engineering on my part, mostly just shortening wires.
Yup, for common rail only so far....
Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 PM

I remember reading in one of the diesel mags about a guy who swapped in a 305/555 ISB into his 89' or 90' D250. I think he had to do all the wiring himself but it was a VERY clean setup from what I remember.