General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Chryslers Advisory Board , Needs Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chryslers Advisory Board , Needs Your Help

We at CAB's need owner input on current Ram Seat and Bumper problems, if any,
And what improvements you want from us ,in your future Ram seats and bumpers ? Try to paint a picture in words for us, and let us know why you want or need this improvement . We plan to summarize your posts in around three weeks , and hand them to the Chrysler board depending on your input. We plan to visit this good site, and others in the future . RAM ON. REF : CAB"S
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seats; Find a 2000 Dodge with the gray leather heated seats. 6 way, with the high head rests. That seat is good for 600 miles a day, forever. Or, go sit in a Ford with leather seats.

The seats in my 06 are terrible. The back seat is worst than terrible. Look like something that came out of a Rice Burner truck from the early 90's.

Also the paint, or lack there of, on the seat bolt down supports, is rusting in my truck. INSIDE THE TRUCK> it don't rain in there. Need inorganic zinc primer! My previous 2000 Dodge Cummins had the same problem. My 96 Dodge Cummins never had that problem.

Bumpers, how about Dash Boards for all the second generation trucks?

Dave
Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Dunno much about bumpers, but I despise riding in any 3rd gen Dodge.

Buy a couple of Ford truck seats at a late model junkyard and dissect them, then copy.

BTW, How about making a fuel mizer special, either put a freakin 4 Cyl CR Cummins in or seriously work on the fuel mileage of the 6.

Then actually ADVERTISE your advantage.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Seats in the 06-07 SLT suck, I wouldn't own one. They are extremely uncomfortable and stain easy.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM

not to many problems with my 06. but the seats are extremely uncomfortable. miss the seats in my old 2000. those where nice seats.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 AM

on my '05 and my '02 the seats are very uncomfortable, not very durable, rips easy, blend door issue, as far as the bumpers....please make them more durable...it is supposed to protect the truck, not cause more damage! The bumpers are way too light duty, therefore I have a ranchhand wrap around brush guard to protect my front end, also if you put fog lights in the bumper either make them more durable or spend a little more some type of rock guard. Unless Dodge starts making the trucks more dependable and more comfortable the next truck I buy new will not be a Dodge, I bought my trucks for the cummins in them but I will look around at other brands next time for sure. I have been a loyal Chrysler owner of several different models over the last 20 years.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make the front bumper out of steel instead of plastic that marks easily. As for the rear bumper, make it out of something a little more durable than thinly rolled out aluminum foil...

These are bumpers that are supposed to protect the vehicle from little old ladies and gentlemen that park by feel.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My seats are O.K. but could be alot better. We need more comfort. I do have lumbar support and that helps alot. Some folks don't. Also, the new cloth material is not that good at all (cheap ). Oh, leather sets. Can the whole cover be made out of leather instead of just an insert with vinyl material type bolsters. Bumpers are fine.

As a side note: Put a better fuel filtration system of these darn things. I am tired of hearing of the voided warranty crap due to bad fuel. Go learn from the marine diesel guys. The filter system should be able to go through a complete tank of bad fuel and not have any problems nor have to replace the filters. Your current filter system is crap and also, educate your service dept at your dealers. You can't look at fuel in glass and determine it is bad. Send the fuel to a lab for verification of any issues.

The Air conditioning system on the 03' and up trucks flat out suck. Drive one of your trucks down here for a while in the hot summer/ High humidity heat and see how you like it. The passenger vents running 10-20 degrees hotter than the drivers side. I had to put an electric fan on my condensor to keep the high side pressures in check, and yes at my cost.

Oh, and another thing. A complete set of working gauges. EGT, Tranny temp, boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge and no more idiot oil pressure gauges....yeah, we know....
Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i had an 04, and had destroyed the rear bumper backing trailers into it.

so i got an 06, and was SO happy to have a purty bumper.

then, a car trailer came off the hitch and went under the bumper on the driver side, and tried to come out the passenger side. really destroyed the whole thing

got a new bumper off craigslist for $200, but i knew it was a waste to even put it on, because i would ding it again.

the OEM bumpers are TOO SOFT. they need to be made of thicker material (that would prevent little dings from becoming major)

reinforcing the OEM bumper would make it better in case of a crash, but that's not normally the cause of light damage, and reinforcement would not prevent the cosmetic damage from normal workday live of a 3/4 ton truck.

so making it thicker, of a harder material, would be the choice

the chrome covering is pretty durable, from the hits I have gave mine, and not had the chrome peel or crack.

the seats: my lumbar adjuster broke on the 2004, handle came off

the 06 cloth interior (gray) is unbelievably easy to stain, and if you spot clean it, it pushes a big ring around the area you cleaned.

my driver seat has a piece of steel poking you in the ribs on the right side.

see all the threads about putting a piece of scrap carpet between the seat springs and the foam, that should lessen felt "pressure points" in the seats.

the HVAC is the biggest, most embarrassing piece of crap on the truck.
we took our family to Disney last month (cool time of year for florida) and my AC could barely keep the truck cool. several of the doors must be broke in there, it sounds like you ran over something when (if) they ever move.

it's embarrassing to have a $40k truck that doesn't have decent AC
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Spooler" brought up a couple good points with things other than seats and bumpers.

These vehicles suppositly are made for towing. The EGT, Boost, and Auto Tranny Temp Gauge are absolutly mandatory for towing a fifth wheel or anything over 10000 lbs with a automatic.

I also would like a digital water temp gauge that is correct.

I would also like to see a switch in the cab to turn on the cooling fan when towing in town. Starts and stops sends the heat up quicker than the computer can turn the fan on. Why wait for the engine and tranny to get hot before the fan comes on. Thats extra wear that is not needed.

Dave
Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM

I agree that the seats stain very easily and trying to clean them merely makes the stain ring larger.
Bumpers could be heavier-duty. Parking by feel...that's not really funny if it happens to you.
Gauges, minimally need trans and EGT. More gauges are better.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM

I'll second the comments on the 06 seats, they leave a lot to be desired in both comfort and stain resistance. Plain old clean water stains them!

I'll also second the comments on quality of the HVAC system. I've owned numerous Ford and GM products before buying this, my first Dodge, and have never these type of AVAC issues until now, e.g. broken recirc doors, bad compressor and accumulator at 70K miles.

Never mind about the ball joints going bad at 47K miles.

But the Cummins has been flawless so far, now has 80K miles on it.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Wow, I thought I was alone with my seat issues. I have the cloth 40-20-40 version. The padding has completely broken down on the left edge of the seat exposing the main support bar. With the pad deteriorating the seats are not supporting the passenger correctly and are extremely uncomfortable. The fold down center arm rest has a permanent indentation where my arm sometimes rests. These problems didn’t happen overnight and my truck has only 40k miles. Now that the gripe is over, Chrysler needs to build better quality into their products to keep current customers and to gain new customers.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Has anyone dented their tailgate by closing it? How 'bout the volcanoes that poke out from where the tailgate strap brackets are mounted. I actually put a crease in the bed side by leaning over the side of the truck to open a cooler. Quality tin there too!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:37 PM

They should put a rubber insert across the center of the bumper like GM does so if you back into a trailer it doesn't dent the chrome.

Quick Reply: Chryslers Advisory Board , Needs Your Help