General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cetane ratings for fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Cetane ratings for fuel

As far as I know, IL doesn't have bp diesel supreme, but in some places it has Amoco Premier. This fuel is way worth the difference in price. How can you spend $45k on a truck and bicker over 11 more cents per gallon? The premium has additives that will make your truck last longer, run and start better, and pollute less. ;D<br><br>All diesel available, aside from offroad or marine diesel, is low sulfur. That just means it's within the 500ppm limit the ASTM/EPA has set, and nothing special. If I were you angleiron, I'd search out a source of amoco premier. Premier is mostly clear with a green tinge of color. You will notice smoother running and a few more mpg.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have fuel delivered to a home tank? I was talking to Landmark about getting a tank, stated that their fuel was a premium fuel and carried a minimum 52 cetane. Best part, at the time it was only about 3 cents more a gallon. When I get a barn, Im going to try to get them to give me a tank. Anybody else look into this or run landmark fuel? I live in central Ohio.<br><br>Duane.W
Old 07-07-2003, 11:11 AM

Duane, I used to live in Cleveland, and have used Landmark Fuel. They make 3 or 4 different grades of diesel, not all is high cetane premium, but they do make a grade or two of it. IMO it's good fuel, certainly worlds above the standard #2, 40 cetane garbage most people are filling up with...but not as good as BP Diesel Supreme. Fortunately, Ohio is one of the few states that supreme is available in. It's probably the best diesel fuel in the country, bar none. Again, info on Supreme is available at www.bpdirect.com in the products section. <br><br>Where in OH? There are plenty of supreme distributors/terminals in Ohio, and the delivery costs could be less, assuming they're closer to you than landmark...<br><br>How big of a tank are you installing or do you have to fill? Most companies have some sort of delivery minimum. If it's 500 or more, you can get biodiesel delivered from World Energy, or a B20 blend of it (80% petro/20% bio). <br><br>Still not sure where you are in Ohio, but downward distributing in Carrolton OH, distributes BP Diesel Supreme, and B100 biodiesel. I believe they deliver a blend of the two, and talk about the ultimate fuel possible, that is it.::::
Old 07-08-2003, 06:16 AM

Hey lightman, I am just south of columbus in the Circleville area. I jsut filled up with diesel supreme at BP this am @ the New Rome Hillard exit off of 70, was only 1.45 gal, last fill up at Pilot (in Columbus) was 1.42. So the 3 cents might be worth it if it is really the supreme fuel. I had not considered BP for home delivery because we have always had Landmark on the farm, just never considered it. Landmark used to give you a tank if you bought enough fuel, dont know if they still do or not. <br>I beleive for Landmark fuel it would be delivered from either Holland or London area. Was thinking a 500 gal tank as I run about 25 gal a week in truck plus some in my tractor ( probably 60 - 70 gal a year )<br><br>Where are you at now Lightman, Still in Ohio area?<br>Duane W.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:33 AM

Duane, I'm in Sarasota, FL. Moved down from cleveland on temporary work assignment, will be moving back in a year or so. <br><br>Duane, email George, at avlube@netwalk.com . He lives near columbus I believe (urichsville?) and has BP diesel supreme delivered to his 500 or 1000 gal tank a few times a year. I'm sure he can hook you up with the distributor's phone numbers etc. They also have dessicating breathers for your tank.<br><br>Avlube by the way, is the company/site that sells the fuel analysis test kits, oil anlaysis kits, etc. Also a great place to get Delvac 1, and primrose fuel additives. I'm not affiliated in any way, just shop there often, as they have great stuff.<br><br>Diesel supreme will be better than the landmark fuel. I'd be willing to bet you would get a discounted bulk price as well. I'm jealous(drool) at the thought of 500 gallons of 50 cetane minimum super low aromatic and sulfur Diesel Supreme! Your truck will run like a champ. Its sad only 2 or 3 states are lucky enough to get this stuff. By the way, one way to identify supreme, is that it's clear. Did you look when you filled up?
Old 07-08-2003, 01:12 PM

na, didnt think to look.. but I did double check which pump I was using 'cause it just didn't smell like diesel ! Guess thats a good sign after reading BP's web sight, stated less smell than other #2 and I do beleive they are right. Thanks for all the info, I will save the email address and use it once my barn gets built. Momma says no big ugly tank beside the house, durn it. Oh well, whats one to do . Have a good evening gonna go home now.

Duane W.

EDIT:
just looked up urichsville on map, is good ways east in tuscarawus county, actually closer to where i was raised than where I am living now. thanks again for the info.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:24 PM

No problem, glad to help. I know Predictive Maintenance Services, the lab that Avlube subcontracts to do the fuel and oil analysis work, is in Urichsville. Not sure where Avlube is, I thought it was in Columbus... I bet you would get some seriously cheap shipping rates ! :P