General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Be careful about picking on another persons truck.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Be careful about picking on another persons truck.....

Well, a buddy of mine gave me crap for 2 weeks about my truck being a Dodge. Of coarse he has a 05' Ford 6.0 dually. He teased and teased me about hooking a tow rope to my truck so I could make it up the mountains on I-26 and I-40. I was nice and didn't say a word because I knew better. Anyone can be left on the side of the road due to a breakdown no matter what the brand. When we hit the 7% grade on I-26 west bound he got going so slow that I had to lockout OD and go to 3rd and he was still slowing down so I passed him very easily. I had to slow down on the other side and wait on him. We were both pulling about 11,000 lbs or a little more. We hit I-40 and all went to crud a little over half way threw. His truck blew 2 clouds of smoke so I called him to see what was going on. Well, 2 more turns and he had to pull over because it started running hot. I pulled in front of him because behind him was not the place to be. (Houghing steam galor out the tail pipe. Yeap, you guessed it. The one that was ragging and teasing was on the side of the road Dead!!!! My LQ has 40 gals of water so we limped it to the next rest area and unloaded his horses into my trailer except one. Off we went again after filling that ragged FORD full of water. We made it about 2 miles and it was done. I pulled my rig and his horses (23,000 lbs) to the Expo center and unload, dropped my trailer, and went back to get him. He had to call a tow truck for the FORD. I hooked up his trailer and towed it the rest of the way. Went and looked at the truck at the dealer. The head gasket blew and over pressurized the EGR cooler causing it to crack. It then dumped antifreeze into the intake and threw the motor. The truck only had 46,000 miles on it so he gets a new long block, turbo, and other parts. Morral of the story is this: Never put down what someone else has it may save your tale.

Note to self: Never Convoy with a Ford 6.0. Talk about a drag!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is always good to have a friend with a Cummins. Maybe your friend will remember this when he buys another.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:09 PM

Spooler - I aplaud you for holding your tounge! It's tough to do, but it's far more valuable that you maintained the friendship than getting into verbal brand-battling! Too bad about his truck! Perhaps he's going to be smelling the coffee really soon.

So what is it anyway that people have against buying a Dodge, seems several people I know think thier life will end, or they'll get disowned by thier parents, etc, etc, if they don't buy a Chevy or Ford even though they admit they would rather have a Cummins? Come on people - who cares what others think - they didn't pay for it did they?!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
He is one of those die hard Ford guys. Guess what, it died hard. The bad part about it was I was stuck out there with him. I didn't really care for Fords but now I hate them. His wife was giving him all the verbal abuse he could handle. The only thing I said after we got everything off the road is I forgot my cardboard paper, majic marker, and camera. The sign for him to hold would read as follows:

Ford Trucks stink and Dodge/Cummins are great.

We both laughed and he was willing to hold the sign for the picture. It was too cold and I was to tired to get a picture. I just wanted him off the road so I could get some sleep. What a trip.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:10 PM

Too bad it wasn't the 7.3l in that ford! That was the best engine they had....
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 AM

I love to hold my tongue in anticipation for these opportunities...
Old 09-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Chapter President

I too used to badmouth Dodge. That is until I drove mine This is the first Dodge I have ever driven in my life, and the only reason I did so was for the Cummins. Now my just reward is having one in my garage and after years of talking them down come to realize this is probably the most solid truck I have ever driven.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM

Ain't it nice when something like that happens???... Theres a guy at work that is a die-hard D-max guy. All the mouthing he does about how tough his Chevy is... Its in the shop right now for injectors, injection pump, and fuel filter base. Truck has 40,000 miles with no mods. This isn't the first set of injectors on this truck, its the 3rd!!!.. He gave me crap abouut owning a Dodge, but he didn't mind riding home in the passenger seat with his 4-wheeler on my trailer while his truck was on the hook!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wurkenman
I too used to badmouth Dodge. That is until I drove mine This is the first Dodge I have ever driven in my life, and the only reason I did so was for the Cummins. Now my just reward is having one in my garage and after years of talking them down come to realize this is probably the most solid truck I have ever driven.
I never badmouthed Dodge, but held my tongue. I too used to be die hard ford. Until the messed up the 6.0 launch. that's when I started looking at Dodge & the Cummins. It's been said before....The best combination: Ford interiors; A Cummins motor, and an allison trans.

My buddy had a 6.0 - traded it in after it was stolen & used as a coyote truck. He now has an '06 CTD & loves the truck! Nimble, towing power where it's needed....just needs a little better mpg....but doesn't everything????

Tony
Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM

I also have been in a Ford Excursion with a Diesel that boiled all the water of of the radiator. It was towing nothing more than a Four Winns Ski boat.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gotta love it
karma coming around to bite him,
or else it could have just be the 6.0 lol!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Before I bought the truck I have now. I test drove a 6.0L.
My father knows the owner of the dealership, so the ower let me take the 6.0L home for the night. Needless to say. It started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. AKA headgasket! SO I took it back and got my cummins. not one problem yet.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM

As you said before, the second you open your mouth your just asking for it. One of my best friends has a 99 7.3, its a good looking truck that you can see in my gallery pictures. I used to poke fun at his truck for how slow it was with a Hypertech programmer intake and exhaust on it and now im eatin my words as i'm having to have him drive me around to buy parts for my truck for the second time my tranny has gone out.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by TonyB
My buddy had a 6.0 - traded it in after it was stolen & used as a coyote truck. He now has an '06 CTD & loves the truck! Nimble, towing power where it's needed....just needs a little better mpg....but doesn't everything????
Are you going to get a Ravelco for your truck (and he should be more than willing to get one for his after the Ford was stolen)?

When I lived in Tucson, one of the guys at work had his quad cab truck stolen during the day and we worked in the same campus as AOL, so there was a roaming guard in the lot. Highway patrol stopped it coming back from the border with nine guys in it. Very little damage done to it; it was too easy to steal.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LVTony
Are you going to get a Ravelco for your truck (and he should be more than willing to get one for his after the Ford was stolen)?
I've been thinking about it. Just need a push off the fence and some $$ to go with the shove!

Tony

Quick Reply: Be careful about picking on another persons truck.....