General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Can I use a diesel as my Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use a diesel as my Daily Driver?

In the market to purchase a 2004 Q/C Diesel...this vehicle will be my daily driver. I will not be towing very often, the primary reason I am looking at one is for longevity (would liekt o keep eight years +) and mileage. I currently drive approximatley 30,000 miles a year; however, my daily drive to work is only five miles, in town, one way.

Will this daily drive to work harm the engine and/or drivetrain in between long hauls??
Old 04-20-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for it! I'm not bashing anyone on this board, but every time someone mentions taking short trips, there's a lot of talk about how short trips can harm your engine 100 different ways, but I don't think any of them will make that much of a difference it how long it will last you.

These engines do take quite some time to get up to temperature, so if possible, maybe you could take the long way to work, to help it get up to temp before you shut her down. If you can't, I'd say don't worry about it.

My mom works 2 blocks from our house, it takes about her about 2 minutes to get there. I'm sure that isn't the best thing for her car, but it's still ticking just fine. Take her out and blow the carbon out and everything will be just fine. You say you drive about 30,000/year...I think that's plenty chance to blow out the carbon.

I just purchased a 2001 2500 that I use pretty much as a daily driver, and I'm more than happy. I'm getting 20mpg plus the cool factor of driving a diesel is way up there. My trip to school every day is about 15 miles one way, but like you I still manage to rack up about 25,000/year with other activities. Also like you, I rarely tow. I pull a utility trailer that I use to haul my lawn equipment in once every weekend that weights about 400lbs fully loaded, and a 2,500lb boat about once every month or so. With this truck, these trailers don't even count as towing.

As I said, go for it! You will love it.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:36 PM

Yes you will be fine.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:42 PM

Ive been doing it for about 6 years w/ a CTD.8 miles one way through town.Go for it!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey...mine is a daily driver. I tow with it about once a month. If you want it, go for it.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:39 PM

i dont see why a diesel cant be you daily driver
mine is
the only time i want gas over my truck is in the winter, when its cold and i make short trips, takes forevery to warm up just to shut it down
Old 04-20-2004, 02:19 PM

Mine is also my daily driver.
Originally posted by BIG&BAD
i dont see why a diesel cant be you daily driver
mine is
the only time i want gas over my truck is in the winter, when its cold and i make short trips, takes forevery to warm up just to shut it down
I know, what you guys are gonna say but, it works. I simply plug mine in at night if the temp. will be below 60, and use the remote starter as I climb out of bed. By the time I get to the end of the driveway, 10-12 minutes, the cab is nice and toasty.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

Mine's a daily driver. Been that way for 3 years/58K miles. Haven't had a major problem yet.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:22 PM

Daily driven, hardly any towing (about four times a year). Approaching 250,000 miles on my 53-blocked, original no-good VP44, even the orignial water pump. JUST replaced the alternator last month at 240,000 miles. Truck still logs over 20mpg in combined driving, starts right up in the dead of winter - it's been paid for for 2 years and it's still worth something to me... I love it. Even with the Duramaxes getting more reliable and climbing in power and BOMB-ability, Dodge and Cummins are BY DEFAULT getting my $$$ on the next truck I purchase. When this one is officially spent.

I'm a shadetree mechanic, and the problems I've had with the truck have been few... 5th gear nut (did myself - feels great!), factory clutch replaced at 158,000 (in my mom's garage in Indy during a vacation - thank you Peter@SBC), one lift pump ($125), a crank position sensor ($30ish and a few hours work), a vehicle speed sensor ($30, 5 minutes to replace), and it's starting to need a new APPS. The APPS on the 98s is too pricey, though - like $300...

Love the truck. LIke I said, just by default Cummins/DC are getting my next $40,000 because of how well this one has done with the most basic maintenance. A lot of people told me that driving empty would hurt the motor, etc. I think the big thing is to make sure the engine oil gets to full operating temp as often as posible... good luck!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do. Five miles to work and back.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Short trips are bad for any vehicle, but you're not going to hurt a diesel any more or less than a gasser. If it worries you, keep it plugged in even when the weather's warm. It will be up to temp within a couple miles in summer if it starts out warm.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
Short trips are bad for any vehicle, but you're not going to hurt a diesel any more or less than a gasser.
Exactly.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:34 PM

Mine is. 13 miles one way, not broke in yet-only 17 miles to the gallon.

Doug
Old 04-20-2004, 09:38 PM

I drive just over 5 miles to work 1 way. There is like 8 stoplights on the way. I plug mine in when its cold (less than 40F) and by the time i would pull in the parking lot the water temp would be just in the normal range. At lunchtime it would get to middle of normal and i think thats fine. Remember if you plug it in you get heat in about 4-5 minutes of driving. At least i do when its cold.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:03 PM

Daily driver here. 6 miles one way. Plugged in when the temps fall.

Matt

Quick Reply: Can I use a diesel as my Daily Driver?