Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Buying My First Diesel, Couple ???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying My First Diesel, Couple ???????

Hello, new memeber, so please bare with me....

buying my first diesel.

New, 2006, 3/4ton, dodge 4x4, slt, 3.73 gear ratio, not sure on manual or auto, but will be extended cab short box.

I plan on using it for a daily driver 20 miles 1 way, 55mph roads, 200 miles a week I should average. Will use the wifes car on the weekends and for long trips.

What can I expect for mpg with a rig like this.

What should I expect to pay with a msrp of around $40,000.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM

"Mileage will vary" is probably the answer that you are going to get on that one, but seems like the reports are anywhere between about 16-19 from what I've read. That's usually better with a manual than the auto, and will improve as the engine gets broken in. I prefer the manual anyway, and there are less reports of issues with those than the autos on the older ones. Not real familiar with the newer autos.

If I might make a suggestion though, from what you say you are only looking to put about 11K miles on a year. Have you thought about looking at a program vehicle or a "slightly" used (say 2005) with low miles? You still get the warranty without taking the huge hit on depreciation.

Anyway, there have been reports of folks getting away for around $30K. I wouldn't expect yours to be much higher than that with all of the incentives flying around. Good luck, you'll love these trucks.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:46 PM

should get about 17 to 20 on the hwy. Should pay between 30 and 33k. should take it on the long weekend trips too!! Because, at 200 miles a week it may take you a year or more to get the 20 mpg (break in).

I'm thinkin' you have more than driving to work on the hwy planned if your gonna spend 30+ on a 4x4 CTD. (you can tell us we won't tell your wife)

Dale
Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you are going to tow heavy and often, I would get the automatic transmission (48RE) with 3.73 gears.

The 6 speed (g56) seems to be a great transmission and I haven't heard of any failures, but they are geared WAY to low for empty highway driving. 70mph will translate into about 2400 rpms or so. Kinda high imo.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the usage you outlined here I see a 1/2 ton gas 4X2. Save your money!
Mike
###
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460
Hello, new memeber, so please bare with me....

buying my first diesel.

New, 2006, 3/4ton, dodge 4x4, slt, 3.73 gear ratio, not sure on manual or auto, but will be extended cab short box.

I plan on using it for a daily driver 20 miles 1 way, 55mph roads, 200 miles a week I should average. Will use the wifes car on the weekends and for long trips.

What can I expect for mpg with a rig like this.

What should I expect to pay with a msrp of around $40,000.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Banned

I would just ask to make sure that you know about the options available used, however. If you're a car guy and want to do any modifications to the truck, there's no reason why not to get something a few years old, $10,000 less expensive and just as reliable, take the saved money and make something wicked. What does $10,000 in bomb money get you in a 1997? It's not like a Second Generation Cummins with 150,000 miles is less reliable than a new Cummins, you just don't get a warranty. Heck, even a First Generation Cummins with 300,000 miles is more reliable than a new Ford.

Of course, if you want the luxury of a new vehicle and warranty, more power to you. Just be sure to consider the reliability and potential fun to be had with a used Cummins.

Originally Posted by bekim
For the usage you outlined here I see a 1/2 ton gas 4X2. Save your money!
Mike
###
Dude, he wants a Cummins. Not gas. Cummins. The only use that outlines gas is parts washing. Just about anything, however, can outline Cummins.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:33 PM

Lightbulb Some info

Weatherby460 - Although a lot of folks swear by the manual trans, I bought the auto with 2wd and then later had second thoughts about it. I then went a test drove a 4x4 with the 6 speed. All I can say "what good is first gear?" It's so low!!" Go drive both and see what fits your wants and needs. I ended up with an ATS tranny to hold up with the mods I have and haven't regretted it at all, mostly because driving the manual was way too slow for my intended purposes . I get 18-19 mpg overall unless I'm sitting in heavy traffic alot where it drops to 16-17. Driving less than 75mph steady I routinely get in the low 20-22mpg. I hope this helps - but still you need to go drive both before you decide.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:20 PM

have driven both a little.....................manual just seems too slow for me, like i have been reading, i need 4wd because i will be in snow with it and i hunt and need it to get thru the woods and fields.

Does the auto tend to get better fuel miliage?

I am hoping next month dealers start dropping the prices a little better, i really don't want to spend over $32,000.

As far as used, it seems like they hold their value too much to justify going that way, but I will keep looking.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM

I have 06, 4X4 2500, 4 door, short bed 373 gears and paid $34,000. I only got about 14 mpg to start with and was very disapointed. I have 7000 miles and now get 17 to 18 mpg. It is gettiing better all the time. Should top out at about 20 to 21 mpg at 30,000 I think. The Dodge is shorter than the Fords or Chevs.........think 4 door..that storage area and passenger seating is much better and I have had both!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460
have driven both a little.....................manual just seems too slow for me, like i have been reading, i need 4wd because i will be in snow with it and i hunt and need it to get thru the woods and fields.

Does the auto tend to get better fuel miliage?

I am hoping next month dealers start dropping the prices a little better, i really don't want to spend over $32,000.

As far as used, it seems like they hold their value too much to justify going that way, but I will keep looking.

Thanks.
Go to a dealer and tell them you won't spend more than 32k and go from there. You may want to look at this site. Melton auto

They have one right now for 33k. Thats only $20 in monthly payment, or if you pay cash whats another grand when you've spent 32k already?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Chapter President

You say now that you'll drive the wifes car on the weekends......I said I would drive mine on the weekends and once in awhile up to work. Now, reality has set in.....I drive 2-3 times during the week and about the only thing I drive the weekends, unless the whole family wants to go out, then we hop in the wifes explorer and she drives!! Most I have driven that is move it from in front of the shop under a shade tree and then back again, and that's been about the last 4 months!! You'll love it and when your in the wifes car you'll be thinking about how you wish you were perched on top of that Cummins!! At least I do, but I have been called weird to!

It's good to hear your looking at Dodge and Cummins and not brand X though!!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:43 PM

nothing against ford or the gm's, but gm will have a new body style for 07, so an 06 will be outdated in a few months, and for ford, I just am not a ford guy, also, the cummins is a proven engine, it may lack power on paper compared to the other two, but I am sure it can hold its own.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:15 PM

Actually it doesnt lack power on paper compared to the other 2 and you will also be able to use that power without blowing your engine up after 65,000 miles. bottom line, you CANNOT compare the Cummins to the other so-called diesels. The Cummins engines are simply in a league of their own. Seems like you really are the newbie you claim to be...Hopefully you will buy one and that will all change.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 PM

The problem with the g56 6 speed tranny is not the transmission itself, but the dual mass flywheel which comes with it.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
I would just ask to make sure that you know about the options available used, however. If you're a car guy and want to do any modifications to the truck, there's no reason why not to get something a few years old, $10,000 less expensive and just as reliable, take the saved money and make something wicked. What does $10,000 in bomb money get you in a 1997? It's not like a Second Generation Cummins with 150,000 miles is less reliable than a new Cummins, you just don't get a warranty. Heck, even a First Generation Cummins with 300,000 miles is more reliable than a new Ford.

Of course, if you want the luxury of a new vehicle and warranty, more power to you. Just be sure to consider the reliability and potential fun to be had with a used Cummins.

Dude, he wants a Cummins. Not gas. Cummins. The only use that outlines gas is parts washing. Just about anything, however, can outline Cummins.
Good point! Thank you.
Mike
###

Quick Reply: Buying My First Diesel, Couple ???????