General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

A BS Duramax story I heard a while ago

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A BS Duramax story I heard a while ago

I heard this joke a few months ago... A local mechanic got a Cheby Diesel into his shop that was running like s#%$. He popped the hood and much to his surprise the front pulley was standing still. Apparently the crank had broken in the middle and it was running on only 4 cylinders The best part was that the guy who told me this story totally believed it until I pointed out that the timing gears or what ever that Duralax uses is on the front of the engine. "Oh, ah, I guess......" ;D
Old 12-19-2002, 07:32 AM

Re:A BS Duramax story I heard a while ago

I'm surprised the story admits to the truck running like poop. It should go something like "the owner was complaining about the engine being slow to accelerate" or something.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:57 PM

BUT, did you get the vin #??? : :
Old 12-19-2002, 09:09 PM

[quote author=MnTom link=board=8;threadid=8517;start=0#82582 date=1040353020]<br>BUT, did you get the vin #??? : :<br>[/quote]<br>No...
Old 12-20-2002, 10:45 AM

lets see front crank pulley is not turning- how was hil alternator, power steering, water pump, and fan working?????????????????could only come from a chebby owner [undecided]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:36 AM

A duramax down on power? Now thats a scary thought. How could you tell? Really?
Old 12-22-2002, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to add this war story that is somehow related, maybe. At my garage in the seventies I had an older lady bring in a ford LTD for a tune-up. She had taken it to my competition with unsuccessful results. I quoted a price and knowing it had a solid miss, went to work. Plugs looked fine, wires were ok, new cap and rotor. Ahhh problems, took a compression test, one cylinder with none. I called her and told her the bad news, it needed a valve job. Reluctantly she agreed with some comments about how all the mechanics kept charging her more money. Later with the heads off, valves looking like new, I proceeded to scratch my head. My wife was in front of the car when I turned it over. “Honey, why does one piston not move?” It had seized a rod bearing and broken the rod off with the piston up, or lost the nuts on the cap. Ran fine with a miss. The lady would not go for it, ate the costs, put it back together, never saw here again. She drove off complaining about how I tried to rip her off. Life is great sometimes.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:25 PM

At least your story is beleivable (sp?) ;D[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=8;threadid=8517;start=0#83704 date=1040611636]<br>I have to add this war story that is somehow related, maybe. At my garage in the seventies I had an older lady bring in a ford LTD for a tune-up. She had taken it to my competition with unsuccessful results. I quoted a price and knowing it had a solid miss, went to work. Plugs looked fine, wires were ok, new cap and rotor. Ahhh problems, took a compression test, one cylinder with none. I called her and told her the bad news, it needed a valve job. Reluctantly she agreed with some comments about how all the mechanics kept charging her more money. Later with the heads off, valves looking like new, I proceeded to scratch my head. My wife was in front of the car when I turned it over. “Honey, why does one piston not move?” It had seized a rod bearing and broken the rod off with the piston up, or lost the nuts on the cap. Ran fine with a miss. The lady would not go for it, ate the costs, put it back together, never saw here again. She drove off complaining about how I tried to rip her off. Life is great sometimes.<br>[/quote]