General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Bridges starting to hassel the SRW's

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridges starting to hassel the SRW's

Hey Guys ...I live just outside philadelphia and have been traveling to Long Island , NY and the bridge guys have been hasseling me just because they hear the diesel engine ... I don't do the easypass because they would charge me more for the truck being a 3/4 ton ...right now it's registered as a 1/2 ton .
The one guy wanted charge me 18 bucks to cross the varrozano bridge ...it's still expensive being reg car price ...9 bucks .
I was going to install the 2500 emblems ... just because it says cummins ...They were missing when I got the truck and that may have been the reason .
I have a set or embels but I don't think I a going to install them ...
Any of you guys get hasseled with your Single Rear Wheel trucks , just because were a diesel they think there losing out !

Greg
Old 08-29-2006, 01:37 PM

$9-$18 to cross a freakin bridge?? That is absurd. So glad I don't live in an area where you have to pay tp drive on a road.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Greguw
I don't do the easypass because they would charge me more for the truck being a 3/4 ton ...right now it's registered as a 1/2 ton .
What do you mean by this? They would charge you your typical EZ pass charge - whatever the gateway charges at that time. I use my EZ pass up and down the eastern seaboard and have never had a problem with the Dodge or any other vehicle that I own and have on the account. In Maryland the MD EZPass goes on how the vehicles are registered. I use mine with two cars, a truck and on the motorcycle. All are for personal use and not commercial.

Long Island has always been expen$ive to drive through. I have not used my EZ pass over the Vz bridge.

edit: now, while driving through Ohio, I think they have (or used to have) scales at the turnpike exits - I was charged extra once for being "heavy" on the way home AFTER dropping a bunch of stuff off, go figure. They don't have EZ pass in OH so you must stop and talk to the gate attendants. If they had EZ pass I'd go under the blinking yellow light.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 PM

The Ez pass gose off your VIN and if your VIN states your truck is a 3/4 and one ton trucks pay a 18 dollar fair .
When you register the truck they automaticlly program you pay the more expensive price !
In my state allows me to drop my registration down on class ...I dropped mine to a 1/2 ton that way I only pay the lesser tolls .

With the deffence to the bridge ...it is a pretty cool bridge ...but I still have a hard time giving up 9 bucks to cross the bridge .

So I hit the cash booth and I am able to talk my way out of the more expensive toll.

Either way it sucks !

Greg
Old 08-29-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greguw
I don't do the easypass because they would charge me more for the truck being a 3/4 ton ...right now it's registered as a 1/2 ton .
Greg, we have an easypass that floats between trucks and like bulabula said you are charged according to how you register the vehicle with them. We go accross the 22, 78, Portland and Delware Water Gap (I80) all the time even with trailers on with no problems (knocks on wood).

Just so you don't think those guys are the only people that give you a hard time. We went accross one of the Delaware bridges, 2 trucks and 2 trailers both goosenecks. Charged me $1.50 for a truck and 2 axle trailer. Wanted to charge my dad $12 or somthing like that for a truck and a 3 axle trailer.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM

I live on Long Island. I think the problem your having is that here in NY if your truck has a gvwr of more than 8000 pounds it has to be registered as a commercial vehicle. You probably have passenger plates on your truck?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 PM

I was out that way in July. I was visiting a friend out there and drove the truck into the city because I had to pick something up in brooklyn. At every bridge I got asked how much I wieghed. I said i don't know maybe 5000lbs. They let me cross at the car or light truck rate. I have an Ipass from Illinois which works with many of the ezpass booths. we go by license plates in Illinois when you enter a vehical on the ipass system. The tolls are done by # axles. The Ohio turnpike got me good since in was over in to the next toll bracket.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by greasemonki
I think the problem your having is that here in NY if your truck has a gvwr of more than 8000 pounds it has to be registered as a commercial vehicle.
That is so stupid. Makes me feel better about the OK tolls.

How can you register it commercial if you don't have a business? (In OK you have to have proof that you have a business to register commercial, here it is cheaper. I think.)
Old 08-30-2006, 04:19 AM

When we lived in PA, our trucks had stickers on the windshield with classes. My 98 V-10 was a class 2 and the Diesel a class 3. They look at that and would charge us (I believe it went off of registration) Now this was 4 years ago, so maybe they change it. They charge money off of how much wear and tear you do, heavier truck, more wear (yes I know stupid) cause the guy with the pinto car and snow tires does more. Same with the Delaware Memorial, crossed it last week, was 11 bucks (2 axle trailer also).
Old 08-30-2006, 05:40 AM

Greasemonki hit it right on the head ...All the toll takers that I had a problem with kept asking me what kind-a plates do I have ...and that makes total sence now .

Thanks

Greg
Old 08-30-2006, 09:11 AM

Man I am glad I live out in the sticks in Missouri where we don't have to deal with that idiotic stuff! I would move, to heck with them.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Man, I'm with Luke. The only toll bridge I know of is not even a bridge, it's a 4 car ferry(3 if one is my truck) across the mississippi and it was only $12.00 I think.
Joe
Old 08-30-2006, 09:51 AM

$9? that's insane. the most i've ever paid for toll was $2.00
Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Chapter President

Last time I paid a toll was a few months ago. Drove 800 miles to Upstate NY to pick up my daughter and had to pay. Darn roads were rough as heck too!! What are we paying for? Some guys fancy car and yearly salary?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to watch the easy pass thing, if you register your truck at say 8,800 lbs., which is your 2500 GVW and you run through a toll with the truck and a trailer at say14,500 and you get caught the authorities will fine you!!

18.00 to cross those bridges is not so bad. You should see the bill when dad and I cross one with his dually and a triple axle trailer, some of those tolls go over 30.00.

Quick Reply: Bridges starting to hassel the SRW's