General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Brake Stand.... Can you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Stand.... Can you?

Hey I got a question.. I tried to brake stand the other day,,, brake stand, power brake, burny, smoke show.. What ever you would like to call it.. :P and my dodge wouldn't do it .. the turbo would spool up,, and RPMs would go up a little.. Wasn't slipping. Truck was torqing.. but nothing.. she wouldn't bust the tires loose.. what give's.. is this normal for a stock dodge? [undecided] <br><br>Don't get me wrong this is nothing I do all the time. but hey when you want it, you should have it.. Just wondering if'n i need to do some investigating.. Your thoughts.. and sorry I have no gauges in yet. but soon.. <br><br>thanks <br><br> Matt W
Old 02-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Brake Stand.... Can you?

Yes that can be normal for a stock transmission. Much of the power does not make it to the ground until the TC locks. Get a good aftermarket transmission and you will get those ponies to the ground!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:02 PM

How much throtle?<br>How high did the RPM's go to?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:14 PM

The first time I did this was last year. I stopped at a stop sign in an industrial park; it was 600 feet to the next stop sign. I brought the boost up to 12lbs (but at 10lbs the tires started to break loose) and took my foot of the break and smashed the &quot;go&quot; to the floor. I lit up both tires and shifted through all the gears. (I have an auto). When this happened the truck's back end went right then left then right again then left, when I took my foot off she was still spinning. By that time I ran out of road and control the truck was going over 50 mph, I think. I had a 100-foot tape measure in the truck so I got out wile the smoke was still clearing and the smell of fresh burnt rubber was thick in the air. In a stright line I walked off 285 feet. ;D ;D ;D (That’s close to a football field in length for all you mathematically impaired). What a rush. To date I have done this about a dozen times all of them over 300 feet. When I went in for new tires, my local Michelin dealer thought it was strange that I needed new tires at 20,000 miles. He thought that my odometer was not working properly and suggested that I get looked at. I told him I would. :-X When I left (their must have been soap on the tires) I spun it 30 feet down the road. I am sure that my dealer new by this time what happened to my tires. OverFueled Does any one have a story like this? I would like to hear it. Thanks PS I have rear disks
Old 02-22-2003, 07:00 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

With my almost stock ram I couldn't do burnouts until I got the tranny done. (it would just sit there and stall the TC- when you let the brake go then it would launch nicely)<br>Now I do not stand on the brake. I simply hammer it from standstill. Small puff of smoke from the exhaust, some yards later lots of white smoke from the tires. I did not stay on it yet, because I always ran out of road. <br>I do this only when I know that another set of tires is ready to go on. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 02-22-2003, 08:15 AM

O.K. try this... Once the rpm's come up, let off of the brake for just a few feet to get the wheels rolling then come down hard on the brake. Most of the time the fronts will hold the truck at a crawl while the rears have slipped past the friction of the brakes and off they go.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Muted User

We have Drum on the back of ours. With the comp box and a stock tranny can we? Just wanted to know. Also one day coming home it was rainin and i was followin a slow dude in a car so we came to a passing zone on a little hill so i mashed it and went around alomost side ways. but any way i passed got to a red light still rainin hard and wanted to see how far she'd spin so amshed it from a hault. went about 100 ft spinin.<br><br><br>Also when pullin out on to a highway doin about 35, and mash it, it seems to hesitate above 2700 RPM. Is this normal or is it the TC goin? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:33 PM

Hey bud,<br><br> What tires do you have on your Ram?? I can spin the donut sized highway tires I have on them now. I had a set of monstrous JTL's on before....wouldnt spin them.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Muted User

Got 235s on stock rims, also almost flat on back.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:20 PM
Banned

With mine, I'd let the brakes slip a little and just stand on the gas. Nothing. Even with the stock tires on there. 12 psi and 1800-2000 rpm. If I stayed on the gas and let off the brake, the truck would kind of surge. I can't even do it with the comp on.

My stock tires lasted me 6000 miles. ;D Wet roads are so much fun. ;D
Old 02-24-2003, 06:53 AM

You have no sig. Do you have 4 wheel discs? That made a big difference for me till I added some power. If your not on the street, and you want to do it pour a little water under the tires to breakem loose, then youll smoke all day long if you want. But, man cleaning your fenderwells afterwards is a PITA.<br>Evil
Old 02-24-2003, 08:51 AM

I had no problem stock with stock 265's. Added EZ, don't have to use any brake on cement ;D . Asphalt still requires brakes. I have 2001.5 with disc on back.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:15 AM

Last year I figured I would try a Bleach burnout. Using clorine bleach, I put some in front of the tires and a little on the tires. Now, I could brake stand without a problem before and even without using the brake the tires would break loose without a problem. I just wanted to take a picture of the WHITE smoke pouring off the tires. Well, let me tell you that Clorine Bleach makes one slippery tire. Since I poured it under both rear tires, they just broke loose and went every where. I hard troubles keeping the truck on the road. I would let up on the gas and it would stop spinning, once I give it ANY gas, away I would go again, heading towards the side. Pulled a couple of quick donuts in the middle of the road and I wasn't even trying. Just laughed my A** off after the fact and glad nobody was coming the other way. Next time, not as much Bleach... LMAO....
Old 02-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Try going to www.summitracing.com <br><br>www.summitracing.com search for line lock <br>When installed, you can lock your front brakes only.<br>Keeps the rear brakes from holding you back. ;D
Old 02-24-2003, 01:06 PM

Yes - even with my stock slushbox.

Quick Reply: Brake Stand.... Can you?