General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

bent turbo fins (7.3)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bent turbo fins (7.3)

Wont having bent fins decrease boost and spooling speed? My friend has 7.3 with multiple damaged fins and he thinks its fine. His truck smokes a ton, doesnt make that much boost and has a lack of power with multiple mods. Between shifts the boost drops at least 10lbs. One of the fins is bent bad, like of 3/4 of the fin is folded over. He tells me its engine management taking over. I dont believe so. My other friend has exhaust and a programer on his 7.3 and is a lot faster. So what is the deal.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 01:27 PM

I would think that that couldn't be good, generally speakin', but who knows, Ferd has some pretty weird ideas like um, i don't know, oh yeah..........6.0

P.S.-Sweet Mopar bro'
Old 08-17-2004, 01:32 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
The fins on any turbo are finely tuned and ANY damage will create a loss in performance. In your friends case, having one fin bent over by 3/4 of the fin (that's 75%) will cause all kinds of grief, such as turbulence which in turn will cause decreased efficiency for the adjacent fins, unbalance and lots more.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would guess that bent turbine fins would indeed hinder performance. I would also be concerned that the turbo was out of balance and thus, in jeopardy of centrifugal disintegration.

What caused the blades to bend? Did a foreign object go through the turbo? Where is that object now?

Things I might be concerned about.

Rich.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Yeah, I kept telling that these things need to be balanced, I am not sure how fast they spin, but they do spin fast. We dont know what could have caused it. At least 3 other fins are dog eared. I was thinking maybe from jumping the truck. This thing rides like a freaking brick and he does beat it. I just dont want this thing to explode and do some real damage.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its bent I would imagine its structurally weaker as well, specially spinning at some 20,000 rpm. Just think what will happen if it comes loose and goes thru the engine? wont be cheap.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:08 PM

It's closer to 200,000 RPM, I think its about 170'000 RPM, either way the longer he waits, the more its probably going to cost. just my .002
Old 08-17-2004, 03:22 PM

Sounds like, to me, somebody poked fun at his 7.3 with a STICK. Hopefully the wheel does not 86 his entire motor. If it decides to let go and say take out 2 cylinders, he would be close to Ferds newest size motor... He would then have a 5.475 and 2 empty holes to hold his favorite frosty beverage in while he waits for a wrecker....

Tell him he better "git-er-fixed!!!!"

Gary
Old 08-17-2004, 11:53 PM

Think about it this way...it's 100 degrees outside, 90% humidity...do you want a piece of crap fan w/ bent and chewed up fins blowing on you to stay cool, or do you want the nice fan w/ blades that look like brand new? The black smoke he's pouring out is evidence of BAD combustion. It's ok if you're mashing on the throttle, but if it's doing that all the time it's nasty. His exhaust gas temps gotta be pretty high too.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:29 AM

smoke is usually at full throttle driving around but at full throttle it smokes a lot. Maybe its normal for the chip but all I know is he needs to do something soon
Old 08-18-2004, 10:18 PM

Even at full throttle he shouldn't have that much smoke...that's what the turbo is made for...keeping the smoke to a minimum and torque to a maximum.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:25 AM

welder, I have tried telling him numerous times but he loves how it smokes. I am going to show him this thread this weekend.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:17 AM

As far as I'm concern when you have a turbo with a minor chip it a MAJOR problem. That turbo is spinning 200,000+ RPMs and just a little chip will be way out of balnace! Air flow will be reduced from the major damage...Pretty soon you should start hearing the compressor rubbing the housing which its too late!

Just my .02
Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 PM

That turbo is gonna blow at any second! If he still thinks its engine management then tell him to go do a few full throttle runs up to 70mph and see if he makes it back.
Better call the wrecker and pick up an auto-trader before he leaves.

A coating of fine dust/dirt on the blades can cause early turbo failure. A bent/broken/cracked blade is hard to believe its still functioning. I'd take a look at what he's taking about. Get some pics. Could be looking at the engine fan or something?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:05 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Forgot to mention something. Many (most?) owners of vehicles with turbochargers don't understand that damage (or even a build up of dirt) to a fin that rotates at such a high rate of rpm's as these do, that this will induce vibration. Now, just because the driver can't detect this vibration does not mean that it does not exist. Vibration in a component such as a high speed impeller sooner or later causes fatigue. Guess what this fatigue then does? It causes cracks which probably sooner rather than later will cause said fin to fly off at a great rate of knots, causing great havoc before it comes to a stop.
Does your silly friend want to risk this?

Quick Reply: bent turbo fins (7.3)