General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Baldwin and Fram filters.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baldwin and Fram filters.

Anyone tell me if Fram makes Baldwin filters, or vice versa? Please say it ain't so . I've been seeing both manufacturers names close lately.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhm fram makes a bunch of filters under other names. fleet guard and wix are seperate companies. the infamous k&n is mostly owned by fram, im not 100% sure on baldwin but id suspect.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:16 AM

I have a quick lube business to I kinda keep up with that stuff because I get asked often...
Here is a reference site that can explain the defferences between a lot of different filters... It is not an offical website representing the mfg's but rather an independant guy that just wanted to know and then spread the word on the results...
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html
Baldwin Manufactures their own filters and they are really good quality... I have never gotten one that was bad (shake test, bad gasket, bad threads etc..)
I don't touch fram's!
Purolators are pretty good.

Oilguy
Old 07-15-2006, 08:25 AM

Anymore, with what I have seen lately, I wouldn't put any filter on a Cummins engine besides a Mopar or Cummins(Fleetgaurd). I had a cutomer lock up his engine last year due to a Fram filter coming apart and I just had a call from a customer last week that locked up an engine on his way to Alaska due to a Valvoline filter coming apart. I tell guys when I sell them a new truck, it is not worth saving $3-$4 on a filter if you have to replace an engine.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:13 AM

I run Baldwin. I figure with the proven millions of miles put on these filters by the OTR guys they should be pretty good.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:39 AM

I do a lot of dust collector work and have been through Donaldson/Torit's factory. Baldwin is a part of the Donaldson group, specifically air oil and fuel filtration for off road equipment. Their factory is an impressive place to tour. The R & D department continually works on new designs and constantly checks their product off of the assembly lines. Donaldson/Torit and Baldwin have been around for over 100 years and in my opinion, represent the industry leader in all aspects of filtration. Next time you see a big rig with his filter intake on the side of the hood, you can almost bet that there is a Baldwin or Donaldson filter in there. Heck if I remember correctly, before I put my BHAF in, the factory airbox had Donaldson molded into it....

Gary
Old 07-15-2006, 11:10 AM

I second scuzman00!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:37 AM

Thanks guys, it was what I figured, but wanted to be sure before I put a Baldwin filter on the truck. I know all about the Fram garbage. I wouldn't use anything Fram. I paid $17 and change for a Fleetguard FS1000 fuel filter from Cummins the other day. I was thinking I better see how much an equivalent costs for that price. While I'm at it, I'll price the stock oil and fuel filters for my other trucks. Anyone know of a place online to buy Baldwin filters?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Registered

http://genosgarage.com/ - fleetguard
Old 07-15-2006, 01:47 PM

Any experience with wix or hastings? I bought a hastings fuel filter and a wix oil filter to keep in the emergency box, you know just in case.

Dale
Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
Yeah I know all about Geno's. I can get Fleetguard filters from Scheid's cheaper than Geno's, even before I the additional shipping charge from Geno's. I am just wanting to see if I can get a Baldwin cheaper than a Fleetguard.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:28 AM

I get mine from the local peterbilt dealer for 5.15 ea.And like a few said if there good enough for the big trucks. they are good enough for mine.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hastings is another pretty good one, all I ever run is Hastings or Donaldsons.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Any failures reported using WIX? I've been getting them from napa?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:14 PM

I just picked one up locally from a Baldwin dealer at $5.10 for BT339. I tell ya, even at Scheid's, it's hard to find filters, especially fuel filters, for these 1st gens. They either have none, or only one in stock, when I want 5.
Originally Posted by yarddog
Any failures reported using WIX? I've been getting them from napa?
yarddog, not that I know of, but I do know, WIX filters, which make NAPA Gold filters, are not approved by Cummins for use in the 5.9. Although many people use them and probly have no trouble out of them.

Quick Reply: Baldwin and Fram filters.