General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Articles on Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Articles on Biodiesel

It appears that rape seed, canola oil, might be a viable alternative to mideast oil:

http://www.folkecenter.dk/plant-oil/...and_energy.htm

http://www.bebioenergy.com/agronomy_conference.htm
Old 01-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually it appears brown mustard is the plant of choice. Higher oil production and much easier to grow with fewer inputs. http://www.bioproducts-bioenergy.gov...ts/19/z347.pdf
Old 01-02-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Just a few months ago I was listening to a radio program/interview about biodiesel. It was with Blue Sun the local place here trying to get farmers to sign up to be in the coop and grow the mustard seed. They were wanting the farmers to put up 5k and now I cant rememeber what the deal was but sounded darn interesting and if you were a farmer definitely worth looking into. Also the mustard they said also fit in fine as a second crop and used the same equipment as wheat . Went to blue suns website and here is more info about the program. http://www.gobluesun.com/html/bluesunproducers.html
Old 01-03-2005, 10:16 PM

Another article:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html

Oil palm can produce 635 gallons per acre vs the 127 gallons per acre for rapeseed (canola), but palm oil has a problem of gelling at 30-38 C. (86 - 100 Farenheit). Cooking the palm oil to biodiesel will reduce the gel point to 60 F.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
What are the tax considerations from using Biodiesel? If it's homebrewed biodiesel it won't have any red dye so therefore if you get dipped they won't ding you for off-road diesel. However I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you make your own biodiesel you're responsible for paying the road tax if you use it in a vehicke operated on public roads.

Is this correct?

Edwin
Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 AM

However I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you make your own biodiesel you're responsible for paying the road tax if you use it in a vehicke operated on public roads.
that is silly... to me that is like them asking you to pay taxes on food you prepared at home like is included in fast foods...

nuts to them... if you make it, don't tell them and don't worry about the tax thing
Old 01-04-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course, one should consider that if you're driving on the public roads and don't pay the fuel tax, you're getting a free ride on the backs of those of us who do. Now, does THAT seem ethical?

Rusty
Old 01-04-2005, 01:15 PM

Taxation is theft! I would much rather NOT pay taxes and pay tolls for driving. That way I would only pay for what I actually used. No need to put a gun to anyones head to collect the tax. Same goes for every other tax and fee. The IRS should be abolished along with about 99% of government bureaucracy we don't need.

Edwin
Old 01-04-2005, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then get the law changed. Right now, fuel taxes are the method used (except on toll roads) to collect user fees. Avoiding them is circumventing the law. Period.

Rusty
Old 01-04-2005, 02:03 PM

Actually, I have to pay the fuel tax if I drive on toll roads and if I simply run my engine on my own property. And I AM working to get the laws changed.

Circumventing an unjust and unconstitutional law is a duty.

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice."

Edwin
Old 01-05-2005, 08:31 AM

At least in VA there are tax considerations for making Biodiesel.. You are converting an agriculture product to a motor fuel.. Under the Code of Virginia motor fuels are taxable when used on the highway..

Would you get caught? Who knows, but in small quantities it would be harder to get on the states radar screen. Biodiesel is something a lot of states are looking at to make sure that the appropriate taxes are being collected (from the purchaser) and remitted (by the manufacturer)..

Im would guess the IRS excepts you to pay their $0.244/gal tax as well.. VA also expects you to pay the appropriate tax ($0.16/gal) when you add your waste engine oil to your bulk diesel tanks..

Hope this helps..
Old 01-05-2005, 10:30 AM

After asking around the best answer is biodiesel is exempt from road tax in some states and localities. If in doubt, contact your state or local tax board. The feds have recently talked about lowering or eliminating the tax on renewable fuels, don't know where this stands currently though.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the research I have done and as I understand it, the Federal government is not concerned with collecting fuel tax on homebrewed biodiesel PROVIDED:
[list=1][*]You produce 400 or less per calender quarter[*]You produce only for personal use and DO NOT sell it[/list=1]

My state laws (Missouri) still requires you to pay $0.17/gallon fuel tax even on homebrewed fuels.

As mentioned above, if you don't tell them, then the chances they'll ever find out are slim, but that doesn't make it right. It all depends on personal moral convictions.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:41 PM

Another factor to consider is that many states and perhaps soon (or maybe even now?) the feds offer a tax credit for renewable fuels. In some areas you may come out ahead to pay the taxes in order to reap the refund on your income taxes.
The federal bill was proposed last summer, I never followed if it passed. The bill would have given a 53¢ per gallon income tax refund for using BD.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to make sure everyone is aware of it..... road tax is road tax, fuel tax is fuel tax. road tax is NOT fuel tax and fuel tax is NOT road tax. When you buy some fuel at a retail distributor, you pay fuel taxes on it. Some of the fuel tax go towards roads, but that does not make it a road tax.

Quick Reply: Articles on Biodiesel