General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Anyone using aftermarket GPS??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using aftermarket GPS??

Hey Everyone, I am thinking about getting an aftermarket GPS for the truck and was wondering if anyone is using one and what recommendations you can give me. I want something that is easy to use and is accurate and does a good job. I was thinking Garmin or Lowrance, but would be open to others if there is better. Please let me know what you guys have and what you think of it. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been using a Garmin 2620 in the truck and on my motorcycle for several years. I've been quite pleased with it. Its mapping database is much more complete than the OEM Alpine DVD-based navigation system in my Acura 3.2TL-S.

Rusty
Old 07-10-2006, 10:53 PM

Blackpowder,
I just bought the Garmin GPS 8 (I think is the model) it just plugs into your lap top.
It works great, gives lot of info from shopping to food.
Best part is it only cost $102.00 from Amazon, I already had the laptop.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 AM

Hey Guys, I don't have a laptop, so I was thinking just a portable automobile unit. Is Garmin or Magellan better? Which software and driving directions are better???
Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 AM

Anyone have any other recommendations for me???
Old 07-11-2006, 09:30 AM

I'm real happy with my Garmin GPS 76S; it now comes in a color version. I use it in the car(s), truck, boat and motorcycle.

Try a search in this forum on GPS's, there's been a lot threads on this topic.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an older garmin emap....really like the ability to pull the map card & quickly change the map set, for where I'm going.

The newer etrex series has an sd data card for this purpose. A buddy in oregon bought one while I was up there 2 weeks ago. We went geocaching for a few hours, before the flight back & found it to be quite easy to use & color too!

I have found the garmin units to be MUCH easier to use....simpler menu trees & easy to use features.

Tony
Old 07-11-2006, 11:04 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I have a Garmin Street Pilot. I know another person with a Megellan, the part I did not like about the Magellan is that it would not let you put in long and lat. You had to have a physicall address. No good for out in the boonies at the river or lake spot you want to find.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:40 AM

I use a Lowrance iWay 500c. It works like a champ and the large screen is brilliant. I found the interface to be very intuitive, but I've always been technically inclined.

The Garmin units are very nice, but I feel the Lowrance is a better value. I also have an older Garmin GPS 12C handheld unit that still works flawlessly and would not hesitate to recommend the brand to anyone.

As far as Magellan is concerned, I've heard they have had some issues with their 700 and 800 series units, but I have no first hand experience with this.
Hope this helps...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM

I have tomtom It works really good, but sometimes in rural areas it can't tell the diff between dirt and paved roads.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:49 PM

I second the Lowrance also. They have a big screen in b/w or color, plus they are very accurate. Most of the airlines and ships use Lowrance. They have been around a long time.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:47 PM

ptgarcia and Superdiesel, what model Lowrance do you have?? I have heard some not so good stories on the Lowrance, like they get hot and they have problems with their software?? Are their maps and screens easy to see and follow?? I am considering either the Lowrance iWay 500c or the Garmin Nuvi 350. The Garmin is more money and smaller, but I have heard the Garmin software is excellent and extremely accurate. Can you guys give me the pros and cons about your Lowrance's?? Thanks everyone.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by blackpowder
ptgarcia and Superdiesel, what model Lowrance do you have?? I have heard some not so good stories on the Lowrance, like they get hot and they have problems with their software?? Are their maps and screens easy to see and follow?? I am considering either the Lowrance iWay 500c or the Garmin Nuvi 350. The Garmin is more money and smaller, but I have heard the Garmin software is excellent and extremely accurate. Can you guys give me the pros and cons about your Lowrance's?? Thanks everyone.
I have the iWay 500c. No problems with the firmware (Lowrance does a good job of keeping it updated) and the maps are updated yearly. The 5" touch-screen is arguable the best on the market. It is very bright and very sharp. The unit does get a little hot to the touch, but never too hot to handle. It sits on my dash when in use and even in the 100+ degree SoCal summer sun it has never faltered. I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:43 AM

We use a Garmin MAPgps60CS. I just found a free download on the Garmin web site which turns our laptop into a big screen GPS with voice commands by connecting it to the GPS when we travel. We can also still use the 60CS for hiking and biking when not on the road.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:31 AM

Is anyone here familiar with the Garmin Nuvi 350?? I am considering this one to the Lowrance iWay 500c. The Garmin is smaller and more money, but I have heard some complaints about the Lowrance's both in hardware and software. Does anyone know how the Lowrance's do in extreme rural areas??

Quick Reply: Anyone using aftermarket GPS??