General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Any ideas how to splice a cable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any ideas how to splice a cable?

I working on a cummins conversion and need to splice the throttle cables together. I havent tried it but do you think you can weld it back together?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, it can't be welded. But it can be spliced.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...9/Splitsar.png
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe not welded, but silver solder may do the trick.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You really don't want to try and line splice metal wire! With fiber line I can splice it stronger than solid but you need to be able to bend the yarns pretty tight to get them in place, You can't do that with metal and get them to come back straight. A kink in metal cable basically destroys it, ask people who use recovery winches. If you can't completely replace the line then plan on using a mechanical splice and a shroud. I've done it on buggies.
Back off twice the amount of cable sheath as you will need for cable travel on each side(if the pull length is 3" strip back 6"). Get 4 crimp collars large enough to fit 3 pieces of the wire, a piece of PVC conduit or pipe with enough diameter to fit the crimp collars without binding and long enough to cover the open cables and 1 1/2" either side, and two rubber plugs the correct size to plug the PVC.
Slide the pipe over the cut cable FIRST, you won't get it on on over the splice.
Put all 4 collars on one of the cables.
From the opposite side run the other cable through all 4 collars.
measure back about 2 1/2 times the length of a collar and bend the ends of each cable.
Run each cable over the outer collar and into the next one. Now you'll have two captured collars and two more next to each other with three wires a piece.
Carefully pull the cables apart until all 4 collars come together, This will put them just about exactly in the center of the splice, then crush the collars as tight as you can. Looping over the last collar on each side will prevent the cables from slipping if you don't get a perfect crimp.
Drill a hole in the center of each plug then split them open so you can put them over the cable housing.
Put one plug on the cable and glue it securely with contact cement BE CAREFUL NOT TO CEMENT THE CABLE INTO IT'S SHEATH.
After that plug is dry push the pipe into it and seal it with either silicone or waterproofing tape.
Slide the other plug onto the cable and up against the pipe. DON'T GLUE IT YET! you can adjust the overall length of the cable and it's tension now. Make sure the trottle moves all the way open but isn't held open all the time. Mark the outside of the cable where it enters the plug at the proper length.
Now pull the plug back out and carefully put contact cement on the plug and sheath. this time put everything back together before the cement dries no matter what the glue instructions say, you'll need to slide it into place and if the cement is dry once the pieces touch you won't be able to move anything.
After the plug is in place and dry test the throttle to make sure everything is still in the right place, If so waterproof this side the same as the other.
Viola! permenant weather proof splicing that won't fail. I've even used the pipe as a mounting point for the cable to keep things neat and in place. I've also used the same basic setup to control multiple carbs on a frankensled I made, one cable in to 4 cables out.

But it will still be better to replace the cable as a whole if possible.

Have fun and Good Luck