General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Almost filled up with gas lastnight!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Almost filled up with gas lastnight!

Well I pilled into the station I normally use. Two people had raced in to beat me to the station and of course take up all the available diesel pumps. So I am waiting inline for a pump to clear up and one of the attendants walks up and says sorry we don't have any diesel right now. I look over and see the tanker sitting there and figure they just got a fresh load in and I could just wait. Then he tells me that the driver had just dumped 500gals of GAS in the diesel tank!!! I feel like I dodged a bullet on that one. I'm not sure I wanna use that sation anymore. So now I will never fillup if there is a tanker in the lot of any station.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was an incadent like that near me as well. The local place that I buy fuel from is regularly cheaper than other places(other than truck stops) and I've always delt with them. The one day a friend and I pull in in his truck(gas) and notice it says onl supreme fuel being sold, but for the cost of regular. He didn't want to(dont know why) so we drove to the next one. Ended up being that the person had dumped all the Diesel into the Gas tank
Old 07-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Oh man, as if things aren't costly enough - now they are trying to sabotage our fuel!! ;-) There was a little scare in the area of Indiana where I fueled alot wherein a load of gas got into the diesel tanks and ruined a bunch of motors. I guess being overly cautious at times, I began to sniff the end of the fuel nozzle before dispensing the fuel(actually got in the habit of doing it before authorizing instead of just before inserting). If it smelled a little sweet or gassy or even a little stale, I'd find another station. Probably was being my usual overly cautious self and though I did reject a few pumps, I never had a bad fuel problem arise. But I bet some of the station attendants thought I was a fuel huffing addict or something(aren't we all?)!! :-)
Old 07-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Cabinet manufacturer I used to work for had a tanker driver fill a PAINT tank with DIESEL once . . . what a mess.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:06 PM

I almost filled up with gas at a **** BP station one time! Normally around here all the diesel pump handles are green... Well BP has green handles on one of their blends of gas.... Luckily the nozzle looked funny (small) to me when I picked it up...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 PM

I forgot, aren't all the pumps full-service in Oregon? Maybe I should start sniffing the nozzle before I pump.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, but you can pump your own diesel. I almost always do pump it myself too. That way I can make sure it gets diesel in it. I'm just glad they caught the problem, before I started to fill my tank. I was empty at the time and always fill it full.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rattlin_Ram
I almost filled up with gas at a **** BP station one time! Normally around here all the diesel pump handles are green... Well BP has green handles on one of their blends of gas.... Luckily the nozzle looked funny (small) to me when I picked it up...
I had that happen to me as well. When we were stationed in Guam, I was used to the diesel handle being Green. Well, out on Guam, the diesel handles were all yellow. At one station I went to, the diesel pump was on the same pump rack as the gas ones. I grabbed the green handle out of instinct. I sniffed the handle before I put it in and it saved me from using the wrong pump.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM

Can't be too careful some stations have odd colored handles for diesel pumps. I think BP and Huskes are two of them. Rebraneded stations may still have the old incorrect colored handles.
On newer cars if it calls for unleaded regular 87 octane, then that is what should be run. The supers burns slower and can cause engine damage.
Check gas pumps at high altitude stations regular may be only 85 octane.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When I was staying in Mexico several years back the tanker filled the town's only fuel station's gas tanks with diesel. Cars still ran but everyone in towns gassers smoked for a month.

Not a good idea to fill up at a station while a tanker is unloading there. The high speed that they dump the fuel in tends to stir up sediment from the bottom of the tank that can stay suspended for awhile and thus end up in your truck.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=92DuallyCTD;1617582](actually got in the habit of doing it before authorizing instead of just before inserting).QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA that friggin cracks me up. yeah I do the same thing with women. gotta authorize that it's cool before inserting the fuel pump into their car!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:37 PM

My buddies dad would NEVER fill up if a tanker was in the lot. His theory was that when they fill those big underground tanks, it stirs up all the dirt and sediment. He thought that after a day or two, the particles would settle and then not get pumped into his tank. I told him there were all kinds of filters that took care of that but his reply was that he would be less likely to have to change the filters early if they wern't working as hard, or "filtering" out as much debris.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cheese4420
My buddies dad would NEVER fill up if a tanker was in the lot. His theory was that when they fill those big underground tanks, it stirs up all the dirt and sediment. He thought that after a day or two, the particles would settle and then not get pumped into his tank. I told him there were all kinds of filters that took care of that but his reply was that he would be less likely to have to change the filters early if they wern't working as hard, or "filtering" out as much debris.
I would agree with your inline filters protection for debris, as you stated, but now what about the possibility of stirring up water(which of course normally resides on the bottom) during those high-speed swirling tank refills? Since we can theorize about it, do you suppose there are also water traps/filters inline at the pumps? Probably not, as others have reported getting water in the fuel. Guess that alone might still be a good reason not to fill for a day or two after tank delivery, eh? All the big trucks I drove had water separators, just seemed no one changed 'em often. Well, I take that back...the last fleet I drove for had a very thorough PM(Preventative Maintenance) program that would change them regularly.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 PM

I almost did the exact opposite the last time I was home. My 01 gasser was running low, so I decided to throw 20 bucks in. Out of pure habit, I went to the diesel pump. Between fueling the Freightliner daily and the CTD on hometime, it never even phased me. However, the nozzle wouldn't even fit, and I knew something wasn't right.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Banned

Luckily where I fuel up at the local Hess, the diesel pumps are on a separate island away from the station and the gas pumps. The only think I have to worry about is not to fuel up with kerosene, which is co-located with the diesel. It's the only station I've seen that has a kerosene pump. I could understand if it were Jet-A since we're close to the airport - but, kerosene?

Quick Reply: Almost filled up with gas lastnight!