General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

air bags and sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air bags and sway bars

Hi everybody I am in the process of installing the firestone ride-rite air bags (as soon as the get here that is) anyway i also want to put on a sway bar will the air bags interfer with the sway bar install
thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the Firestone installation, but from my research the Hellwig sway bar fits just fine with the Pacbrake airbags. I was concerned about the interference of the sway bar and my spare tire, so I installed the Torklift Super Sway Stops to engage the overload springs instead. With my slide in camper, I set the bags at approx. 50 psi (the compression of the camper adds 20 psi to the stock 10 psi empty setting, so it isn't much to add) and the overloads are engaged by the Super Sway Stops, and act as the sway bar. Works awesome!

Be sure the bags are connected independently -- fill lines to each bag, not Tee'd together, so the bags don't swap air side-to-side. That contributes to sway. In my situation, each airspring acted likea bouncing ball anyway, so I added the sway stops to help out. It made all the difference when hauling the camper!!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 PM

thanks for the info where did you get the Torklift Super Sway Stops and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for them also would it be possible for you to post a picture as to what they look like and where they fit on the truck
Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have multiple names, I guess, as I have seen references to them as Super Sway Stops and Stable loads, but both are the same thing. This company had a good price, but they aren't really that clear on shipping times and tracking numbers. I have always received my things promptly and in good condition, but sometimes I get the box before the confirmation e-mail with the tracking number.

http://www.adventurerv.net/torklift-...er-p-5290.html

Follow the link (or cut and paste, either way..) and you will see what they are about. The ones in the picture are yellow, but they come black. I used a 15mm wrench to remove the old overload stops, and added these in their place. with an empty truck, they don't engage, but when I load my camper, the truck settles into the overloads quicker, acting as my sway bars. I was not sure how well it would work at first, but with my camper in and 40 psi in the bags, the truck handles like a dream, even in strong crosswinds andmeeting oncoming semis.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Hellwig sway bar and PacBrake air bags. They fit fine. I doubt there is much difference with Firestone bags. They should work fine.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM

thanks for the info i just ordered some