General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

After 1 year of research finally a diesel owner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome to DTR Chris!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Welcome to DTR Chris!
Thanks! Love the site, by the way. This was definitely the main site that helped sway me to the Cummins (and the truck that is wrapped around it).

I have my first oil change (under my ownership) coming up @ 10K miles (want to do it now and @ 15K) and I bought some 15w40 valvoline blue and plan on sending the oil to Blackstone for analysis. Should set a good benchmark for the lifetime of the truck.

-Chris
Old 12-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Lary, here's another one started down the slippery slope of diesel ownership. Good luck and welcome to the site.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Chapter President

Congrats on the truck and welcome to the best site there is.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 AM

The pickup looks great! I hope that it gives you years of good service!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice on the truck and the Valvoline Blue...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM
HOV

Originally Posted by rallydriver

So far, the first month of ownership has been fun. Best MPG I have gotten was hand calc'd to 13.6 mostly stop and go driving (saw 17.2 on the overhead while on a highway trip once). Since my commute is so short (2-3 miles one way), I have put the winter front on in an effort to get the engine up past 140-170 degrees for the trips between work and home. I keep all four flaps closed and it takes about 13-15 min for the gauge to move and 15-17 to blow hot air from the vents (this is with ~40 degrees F outside temp). I also installed the heater cord, but have yet to find a place to plug it in @ my apt. complex.

Also, it appears my Michelins may be cracking so I need to find out what I can do about that. I'd really like to replace those with the Toyo 285/75 ATs to help lower rpms @ 70mph on the highway.

Other than those small issues, I look forward to many years of enjoyment.

-Chris
Hey Chris, welcome to the dark and smoky side. I'm a former WRX owner also.... are you on NASIOC? I was on there for a few years but now mostly hang out over in the Crowbarn.

About your Michelins: get rid of those things pronto! My dealer warranty-replaced mine with BFG AT's for free; you should be able to get a good credit for replacement with only 9K on the tires.

Diesel power FTW baby. You got all the automotive bases covered now.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM

rallydriver/Chris I just noticed from the pics your truck has the SLT front bumper and trim package on the outside but the dash inside has the laramie simulated wood. Never seen that before kind of unusual or was that an option for interior on SLT trucks?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
rallydriver/Chris I just noticed from the pics your truck has the SLT front bumper and trim package on the outside but the dash inside has the laramie simulated wood. Never seen that before kind of unusual or was that an option for interior on SLT trucks?
I am not really sure, to tell you the truth. It just happened to be the way this one was ordered by the previous owner (who sold it only after 8900 miles for a brand new 2007 Mega Cab Auto).

Not that I really care for the wood, however. The real selling points for the truck was the 5.9L engine, 8900 miles, G56, NV271 manual xfer case. The bonuses were bedliner (Super Liner), Turn-over-ball-hitch convertible gooseneck, Sirius radio (still have FREE satillite radio so far), and the rear storage shelf.

I like to keep my cars/trucks as mechanically simple as possible. I am a computer engineer on the job so I have first hand experience with shoddy programming and electronics .

-Chris
Old 01-02-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by HOV
Hey Chris, welcome to the dark and smoky side. I'm a former WRX owner also.... are you on NASIOC? I was on there for a few years but now mostly hang out over in the Crowbarn.

About your Michelins: get rid of those things pronto! My dealer warranty-replaced mine with BFG AT's for free; you should be able to get a good credit for replacement with only 9K on the tires.

Diesel power FTW baby. You got all the automotive bases covered now.
Believe it or not, I was and am still a moderator at ClubWRX, but haven't been on that site in a couple years. After that forum, I was mostly on the E30 BMW forum going with advice on how to perform the mods to my 1988 325. I haven't been logged in to NASIOC for at least 3 years.

The WRX has now become mostly the woman's car and the E30 sometimes as well. I just love driving the truck around. The Miata is still the best handler, but I think it may be leaving the stable sooner rather than later.

-Chris
Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM

I am looking for the same setup that you have now. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for her? Feel free to PM me.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 PM

Yeah that Chrysler simulated wood doesn't look like such a good simulation. Just thought it was an ususual option on an SLT truck. Which reminds me I saw a thread on here (3rd gen non-drivetrain "simulated wood dash" title or something) long ago where some guy took the simulated wood off and painted? or something and it looked a lot better that way if you don't care for the wood..
Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gamisou
I am looking for the same setup that you have now. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for her? Feel free to PM me.
No problem. I got it for ~30K out the door, not including NJ double dipping tax. It was on their lot for a while, so I was able to make the deal I wanted.

-Chris
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 AM

Thought maybe you guys would want to see my other cars in better detail:

Inline-6 2.7L high revving E30 BMW 325e. Engine is a hybrid high hp/high tq motor now. Was originally made as an economy motor and revved like a N/A gas "diesel". I replaced the valvetrain and breathing and now it has a 1500 rpm higher redline and has .2L more displacement than the ubiquitous 325i. Believe it or not, there is a diesel version of this m20 engine that was put into the 524td and European-only 324td (it was also put in a Lincoln Mark IV as well!!!). Many engine builders like to use the 2.4L turbodiesel's forged crank when they turbocharge the normal m20 or build it up.

Subaru WRX, modded to ~300hp. Ran 13.9 in the 1/4 would my crappy driving and not lightened at all. Lights are used for nighttime road rallies in the pine barrens of NJ.

Only one w/ the Miata. It is the wife's car, and its stock w/ sticky tires. I won my class in NJ Region Autocross in 2005 with it, so I know it handles well. But only has 136hp.

-Chris