General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

750 HP Duramax with stacked boxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with most of the "street racers' with their Attitudes on the Dmax's is that they don't look after the transmission. They pay big $$ for the box and then the tranny limps as soon as they hit the big program.
I'm pretty sure Edge is programmed to limit out put in certain situations much like stock. Here is a quote from edge's site on the Juice;

The Juice also monitors the transmission slippage when the torque converter clutch is engaged. The power level is decreased if any slippage is detected. This prevents damage from being caused to the transmission, and also prevents the power train from erroneously generating fault codes and entering “limp mode”.

The Juice also limits the amount of power increase during transmission shifts when the torque converter clutch is engaged and also when the torque converter clutch is being engaged. This allows the torque converter clutch to engage without slippage causing “limp mode”.

When the torque converter clutch is engaged, fifth gear on the Allison 1000 transmission will hold about 680 foot pounds of torque before slipping. Gears 2-4 with the torque converter clutch engaged have never slipped in Edge’s testing. (We have tested over 900 foot pounds of torque with no slippage). Without the sophisticated transmission monitoring that the Juice performs, the total power increase would need to be limited to the weakest conditions to prevent “limp mode”.

Unlike other products on the market, The Juice allows for moving power to be put to the ground under all conditions without transmission slippage or “limp mode”. When the torque converter clutch is engaged in fourth gear and under a heavy load, the Hot Juice should provide about 30-32 psi of boost, if the waste gate has been disabled on the turbo. Fifth gear will provide about 25-26 psi of boost when the torque converter clutch is engaged.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by triplenickel
I'm pretty sure Edge is programmed to limit out put in certain situations much like stock. Here is a quote from edge's site on the Juice;
True, but the '03 limped a stock allison with a edge juice/attitude. The edge software can only compensate so much until the allison goes into limp mode.

Originally posted by HOHN
I'd take a DMAX for a strip-truck over a 12V any day. It's much more of an appropriate tool for the job.
Justin, can I quote you on that? The Dmax/allisons are finding their CP3 fuel and injector limits around 550-600 hp #2 only and only another 150 or less in meth/water/nitrous. There's several 12v's over those HP/times in the 1/4mi already. I think it's going to take much more modifications to the common rail pumps to get the dmax's quicker in the 1/4 mile. JMHO, of course

brandon.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Brandon..I guess I didn't use the right verbage.

Either way once the super brilliant Allison "learns" its limits, you hit the defuel program pretty fast. The more times you try to slam it to 700 ft-lbs the earlier it burns out and hits the defuel program. You can try to override the defuel program in the ECM, but I think you have a pan full of filings after that.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lil Dog
Thanks Brandon..I guess I didn't use the right verbage.

Either way once the super brilliant Allison "learns" its limits, you hit the defuel program pretty fast. The more times you try to slam it to 700 ft-lbs the earlier it burns out and hits the defuel program. You can try to override the defuel program in the ECM, but I think you have a pan full of filings after that.
Whew... for a minute there i was worried..... i now know i don't make 700 lbs-ft

J/K
Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Got Juice?
Whew... for a minute there i was worried..... i now know i don't make 700 lbs-ft

J/K
Nope, about double that probably...LOL...

Seriously, isn't that sort of the window?? I am not intimately familiar with the Allison.. That's the number I was told for a totally stock LB7 version of the Allison.. Bull or not??
Old 08-11-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lil Dog
Nope, about double that probably...LOL...

Seriously, isn't that sort of the window?? I am not intimately familiar with the Allison.. That's the number I was told for a totally stock LB7 version of the Allison.. Bull or not??
A stock Allison 1000 is rated as 600 or 650 GROSS turbine input torque.

Luckily, mine held up fine at 446 RWHP. As soon as you cross that threshold... LIMP CITY!

Then you are into a total rebuild of new clutches and whomever's trans kit you want. And a better TC is mandatory at that point.

The convertor will hang on (barely at 480) but in reality the fluid coupling of the stocker is chitty. Only marginally better than the 47R/H/E

If a guy has no tranny work done, you can be assured he only has 440 RWHP.

That being the case, go for the KILL!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

There's a few here in Colorado that will put that smack down on ya if you don't bring a big stick. I think Wade's and Clint's trucks are in the 11s at 6000' elevation. I know they both are around 750hp on the juice.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:22 AM

I run the edge and the quad on my stock allison. 440 is what I spun last October. I limped mine back in January on a 3 degree night after the motor warmed, but the tranny fluid did not.

Its a slow truck and wimpy power, and very ugly. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.