General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

6.0 Powerstroke vs. Cummins 600

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most big trucks have an inline engine caterpillar and cummins make most of their engines in line. Caterpillar and cummins make most of their engines in line and their engines go for over a million miles. I dont know about detroit they arn't real big in trucks. the point is if they're good enough for a big truck they're good enough for us!!
Old 04-19-2004, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Detroit Series 60 is a six cylinder in line and is the most popular engine in Class 8 trucks today.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:28 AM

every large car ive driven/looked at is inline 6. ive only heard of 1 v-8 cummins in a truck and guy was not happy with it. no jakes
Old 04-19-2004, 03:17 PM

detroit may be big in alabama but look west and we use all cat and cummins. but thats not the point the point is that 99.9999% of big rigs have in-lines just like dodge does. why change a good thing
Old 04-19-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Over here the big trucks use all kinds of engine configurations- from I6 to V12. I think that it's possible to build good V-engines and good I-engines- and it's also possible to build each one badly. The V concept lets you cram more ci into a smaller space than an I6, especially if you take build heigth into consideration. I think that a truck with a tilting cab can not be compared to a pickup when it comes to accessibility of parts for repair. In my opinion the V8s do suffer from being put into pickups much more than the I6 concepts since you'll always have a hood and you'll be able to sort the peripherals on the side and won't have to stack all the stuff above and below the engine to stay in the engine compartment. A well laid out I6 will always have less mass moments that aren't balanced internally than a V8. The disadvantage of having less power strokes per revolution is made up partially by the mass moments reduction and also by the even spacing of power strokes every 120 degrees for the I6 (4 stroke). So IMO the I6 is the best solution for a pickup, an OTR truck will be much less sensible to basic layout, much more to the individual design of the engine and individual build quality.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 04-19-2004, 04:07 PM

yeah, cant say your wrong, i still think ctd is better than the new 6.0psd!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:20 PM

So there I was on Monday morning drinking some coffee and the owner of an 03 F250 4x4 KING RANCH Edition truck comes up to me and says "Okay you can start ribbing me now."

I said huh?*&^ what are you talking about?

Background: Ever since I bought my 04 2500 HO in October he's been telling me how Ford owns cummins.....ford is better,,,you know the story...and he hasn't had any problems with his truck and the 6.0 engine...

Guess what happened Sunday on his drive from Houston to Austin...You guess it....Engine sucked a piston, and only had 15k on the truck...

Yeah, My Dodge might not be as fancy as the King Ranch Edition Ford....but it costs less, and has an engine that won't fail....
Old 04-20-2004, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AlpineRAM
Over here the big trucks use all kinds of engine configurations- from I6 to V12. I think that it's possible to build good V-engines and good I-engines- and it's also possible to build each one badly. The V concept lets you cram more ci into a smaller space than an I6, especially if you take build heigth into consideration. I think that a truck with a tilting cab can not be compared to a pickup when it comes to accessibility of parts for repair. In my opinion the V8s do suffer from being put into pickups much more than the I6 concepts since you'll always have a hood and you'll be able to sort the peripherals on the side and won't have to stack all the stuff above and below the engine to stay in the engine compartment. A well laid out I6 will always have less mass moments that aren't balanced internally than a V8. The disadvantage of having less power strokes per revolution is made up partially by the mass moments reduction and also by the even spacing of power strokes every 120 degrees for the I6 (4 stroke). So IMO the I6 is the best solution for a pickup, an OTR truck will be much less sensible to basic layout, much more to the individual design of the engine and individual build quality.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
This is not a statement or a downer, but rather a question. When I was in Europe in the late 60's all the trucks were lighter than US trucks, lot of truck/trailer combinations, most single axle stuff except for the coal trucks and dumps. The engines, while doing a fine job, were all five speed with I guess high torque rise, hense the move in the late 70's in the US to high torque rise and fewer gears. Alpine, is that accurate or have things changed there.