General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

6.0 Powerstroke vs. Cummins 600

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Ford has bought back at least 500 of the 6.0L trucks due to the large number of engine problems. It might be a good engine once they work out the design issues.
http://autoweek.com/cat_print.mv?content_code=04255651

Below: Chebby 6.5L, Ford 7.3L, and Cummins rods.

Chris
Old 04-03-2004, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW I can;t believe the size of the Cummins rod
Old 04-05-2004, 12:51 PM

I have had both. I had a 2003 sick.0. within the first 9000 miles it had been in the shop for 37 days. it was my second ford, and it was nothing compared to the first. I had an option to buy another ford 2004, or take my refund. I thought about a 2004 but I drove the dodge, and after driving the ford and knowing all its quirks i drove the dodge and it had none of these. the torque shift is hands down the best transmission in a diesel truck, IMO. even better than the allison. But i drove the 600 and I was really impressed. It didnt have the get up and go that my ford did but it only had 8 miles on it. oh yeah I got 10 miles to the gallon and almost got creamed at least once a day when the truck would not accelerate. and the rust, and worst of all its got an EGR. I screwed up roayle by passing up the dodge first. but hey I am young and I gotta learn some how. as a side not the 2004s are much better, but still not a cummins. go over to Thedieselstop.com and sniff around, your head will spin with all the problems.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by wagontrain131
Thats what i'm saying. These Powerstroke owners just dont get it. They talk about how reliable their truck with 20,30,40,50 thousand miles is. Lets see if they are singing the same tune when their warranty ends. I bet most won't make it that far, they will either sell them or burn them. My truck has 145k on it. I drive it every day, stop and go stop and go, 80 MPH on the highway, stop, idle, and it has been to the dealer 1 time. To fix a recall. Any of you Powerstroke owners out there with that many miles and that few problems, I tip my hat to you, but i doubt I will find many.
I hear what you are trying to say, but I have to slightly refute your statement on the reliability of the Powerstroke. Yeah the 6.0 was a total disaster in the beginning and hopefully they have corrected the mistakes. I have a 7.3 Powerstoke that has 141,000+ miles on it, of which the last 60,000 are bombed. I do not baby my truck at all, I drive it like a stole it every day, traffic, highway, towing, hauling, or drag strip. The only problem that I have had was a cracked turbo and that was my fault. I had to upgrade the auto transmission to handle the new power levels, but that is common with all makes. Now with that being said; I would take a CTD engine over a PSD any day of the week. The reason being is the reliability curve stays fairly constant at higher power levels being that it is a medium duty class, and the cost of BOMBing a CTD is relatively inexpensive compared to that of a PSD. I have looked at buying a new 04 CTD, but I just can’t get rid of the roominess of the crew cab, if someone can ever figure out the electronic nightmare of swapping in a new CTD HO 2nd or 3rd gen I would do it in a heartbeat. I really do not want a 1st gen 12 valve, but who knows. For now my PSD is running better than the day I bought it, but I have the bug for much higher HP and TQ levels, which is going to require a CTD of some kind.

Kyle
Old 04-05-2004, 02:43 PM

I think when everyone starts talking about Ford with all it's problems they of course forget to take into consideration that Ford has more trucks out on the road than all the rest do. So do some % comparison while your taking the bad ones into account. Go to a Dodge, Chevy or Ford garage and they are all full of them being fixed. If you take 100 Fords - 50 Dodges - 50 Chevy's of course Ford will have the most % of problems complaints. And you seldom hear of people unless asked tell about how many good Fords their are out on the roads. You only hear about the bad ones.

Thanks for listening. Just blabbing off.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:46 PM

And I forgot.... Someone out there still likes them cause they are still the #1 selling truck I believe 25 years in a row. Maybe 26.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 99 PSD 4X4 crew cab dually, loved all the room, hated everything else!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Banned

I put many many miles on the older 7.3's and a powerstroke 7.3 and they were fine. The 6.0 I have has had an engine transplant already (I bought it that way). Other than lousy fuel mileage it runs fine. If I were buying a truck just for engine, it would be the Dodge. If I were buying the whole package, right now would still be the Dodge. I liked the old 7.3 but not so impressed with the 6.0. But wifey likes it and that is what counts. I like Ford's 4x4 better than Dodge. Drive both, buy what suits you. I'd love to keep the Ford for 200k but I know next spring it is gone. So long term reliability I won't know. My Dodge will have 300 before it is sold. One thing you gotta do is look under the hood of both. The Ford will scare you. Shoehorn fit.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by lheebie
And I forgot.... Someone out there still likes them cause they are still the #1 selling truck I believe 25 years in a row. Maybe 26.
it's called fleet sales....
Old 04-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

You got that right. Ford's fleet pricing is excellent compared to the hoops you havta jump through for DC.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by spots
You got that right. Ford's fleet pricing is excellent compared to the hoops you havta jump through for DC.
You got that right. Two years in a row we have had to buy our 1 ton cab and chassis from Chevy and Ford (Dodge did not offer one). Eight more new Fords on the way this year.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:18 PM

Dodge prefers quality over quantity..
Old 04-05-2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by graphitecumnz
Dodge prefers quality over quantity..

I call it more like "missing the boat".

If people like their work trucks, they tend to lean that way when they purchase for themselves.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
iwantaCUMMINS:

The DTR Members have all given you some very good advice
and reasons on why the Cummins is a better engine.
I have one more to add to the list!

We recently had a Dyno Day and Drag Race here in
Jacksonville, N.C. back in December 03'. All the local
dealerships (Dodge, Chevy and Ford) were invited to
send a brand new, stock diesel (Dodge Cummins, Chevy
Duramax, and Ford PSD 6.0) to run on the Dynojet here
at a local speed shop. Dodge and Ford sent trucks but
the Chevy dealership did not. FWIW,.......the brand new
Ford PSD 6.0 Dually 4X4 very loaded out with the new
"TorqueShift" Automatic ran a BEST of 212 H.P.!!!
And that is with a "flywheel rating" of 325 H.P.!!
Both 04' Dodge CTD's (one auto, one manual) ran
235 H.P. and 239 H.P. respectively. They were the 305
H.P. Cummins engines. A DTR member (Rammin On) just
ran his 2004 Dodge CTD (325 H.P.) last weekend and ran
279 RWHP completely stock!! One other "little thing" that
bothers me about the new Ford PSD's is the fact that their
ECM/PCM will begin "defueling" at about 95 MPH! That is
all they will do top speed in stock condition! The Dodge
Cummins will pull all the way to about 115 MPH in stock
form.

-----------
John_P