General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

5.0L V8 CUMMINS is a possible GO!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011 | 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike337
Jeep has done the Wrangler in a diesel for years, you just could not buy it in the US http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/specs.html (If you want to see what it has now in England) If memory serves me right it jumps from like 18 to 30 mpg with just the diesel option.

I gave up on it all, it's was cheaper for me to buy my old Ramcharger with the Cummins swap and restore the whole thing. I like the room better anyway.

Here's an idea, save money, bring back the 1st Gens with a 12v, add the 250 chassis to the Ramcharger, rust proof the heck out of it and sell a USA built truck built for a life time.

Nothing will change in the US until people get educated on the benefits of diesel and we run the EPA out of business.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.....
The reason the Jeep diesel didn't stay around is "California" or CARB or "California Air Resources Board".

California is the biggest vehicle market of all the states. It won't let in the Jeep diesel, and thus this very fine offering can't be a "profit maker" for Chrysler/Jeep.

Other "blue states" have followed California's CARB rulings for emissions and in most cases these have been some large vehicle markets too.

I live in California, and have followed this overdone greenie trend that is ruining our state economically, and is having fall-out on the rest of the country.

Right now there would be many diesel powered P.U.s, SUV's, sedans, small cars etc.. rolling down U.S. roads if California hasn't killed the "profit" possibilities of both foreign and domestic vehicle makers that have very good, clean diesels to offer.

Just take a look at the stats and see how many cars, suv's, and trucks are purchased by Californians yearly and compare those stats to the other states sales. California's greenie government/governor/ and environmental agencies have single handedly hurt the entire country.
Old 01-03-2011 | 07:20 PM

Well, if Cali has any hopes of being in the black someday, they will get rid of the things that are causing the huge loss in their taxbase. They are being bailed out by the Feds, and at some point the rest of the country will realize they aren't the golden child of the nation. More and more trucking companies are staying out of there, people, that are worth a darn, are leaving in droves, and the gov't can't see what the problem is. We will get the diesel cars we want, its just gonna take Commifornia falling off the west coast.
DS79
Old 07-21-2011 | 11:54 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
I would have to agree with that statement.... A RAM 1500 V8 Cummins is the best idea since the I6 Cummins in the 2500's. Just hope the emission junk is easy to remove??
I read that cummins was going to put it in the Nissan Titan...
Old 07-21-2011 | 11:55 AM

that was the 4 cyl. that was going to get 28mpg. sorry not v8..
Old 10-09-2011 | 04:57 PM

This thread makes me want to hold off trading in the 03 for an 11 till these come out. The prices of the Heavy Duty 2500 and 2500's should drop a bit with these on the market.
Old 10-29-2011 | 12:20 AM
RCW

Fiat has been playing with VM Motori 2.8 liter turbo diesels, and has been running mules in the Dodge light trucks with various displacements of that engine up to 3.4 liters.

So far none will pass CARB, which puts them out of the California, Oregon, and Washington markets for the time being. So, it is highly doubtful Fiat will step up to the diesel plate in the light Dodges in the near future unless GM fronts their version of that engine in the US first to cover the certification costs and crack the political barrier of the anti-diesel mantra.

However, I would not rule out GM bringing that engine to the US in a small ute or pu GM product this next spring or fall.

GM purchased a significant interest in VM Motori from Penske, and is supplying similar engines all over Europe while testing them in the US. GM also has far less political fear of introducing diesels as an option as buyers give up on the phony electrics and hybrids as being too costly to the environment due to the long term hazardous pollutants associated with battery production.
Old 10-29-2011 | 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Glideman
I read that cummins was going to put it in the Nissan Titan...
I think they'd be more likely to put it in a Hyundai; Hyundai's now-defunct truck division, BERING, used Cummins B5.9s almost exclusively.
Old 11-02-2011 | 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by RCW
Fiat has been playing with VM Motori 2.8 liter turbo diesels, and has been running mules in the Dodge light trucks with various displacements of that engine up to 3.4 liters.

So far none will pass CARB, which puts them out of the California, Oregon, and Washington markets for the time being. So, it is highly doubtful Fiat will step up to the diesel plate in the light Dodges in the near future unless GM fronts their version of that engine in the US first to cover the certification costs and crack the political barrier of the anti-diesel mantra.

However, I would not rule out GM bringing that engine to the US in a small ute or pu GM product this next spring or fall.

GM purchased a significant interest in VM Motori from Penske, and is supplying similar engines all over Europe while testing them in the US. GM also has far less political fear of introducing diesels as an option as buyers give up on the phony electrics and hybrids as being too costly to the environment due to the long term hazardous pollutants associated with battery production.
It'll fly right through CARB testing when Gubmint Motors puts it up for certification. They know better than anyone how to tweak things to make the EPA MPG ratings look better.
Old 11-04-2011 | 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by RCW

I don't think GM has less political fear of the Diesel-- at least not if you listen to Bob Lutz talk. I've seen recent interview of him stating that diesel is essentially over-hyped.

That, and since GM is almost singlehandedly responsible for the difficult market perception of diesels STILL present in the US, they'd have an uphill climb.
Old 11-07-2011 | 03:40 PM

Hype is hype, and propaganda is propaganda.

GM is responsibile for diesel woes . . .

War is good for the economy . . .

Etc.

Whenever these excuses are trotted out, expect that there is much more to the story, usually someones profit.

American makers don't seem to have the small, high speed diesel expertise. The Japanese and Europeans do . . any wonder that the US has an "acceptance problem" (until the US makers catch up some).

The big PR firms play it both ways, and no public statements or releases are ever left to chance.

Saddam Hussein is a valued ally of the US (1983)
Saddam Hussein is the anti-christ (2003)

Etc.

We'll probably get them someday. The 400HP/1200-lb engine stupidity has to stop at some point.
Old 11-07-2011 | 03:48 PM

I spent many hours arguing with the EPA about why they were putting more stringent emission requirement on diesels than even the European’s. It came down to collusion between the oil companies and the auto manufactures. They admitted to me (in writing) that those particular industries wrote a lot of the clean air act, and continue to influence EPA policy.
The current Tier 2 Bin 4 and upcoming Bin 5 regulations adopt a "fuel neutral" policy. In other words, they are requiring diesel fueled vehicles to have the same particulate output of a natural gas, gasoline, even a hydrogen powered vehicle.
This, of course is totally ridiculous.
Old 11-08-2011 | 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rednax
Hype is hype, and propaganda is propaganda.

GM is responsibile for diesel woes . . .

War is good for the economy . . .

Etc.

Whenever these excuses are trotted out, expect that there is much more to the story, usually someones profit.

American makers don't seem to have the small, high speed diesel expertise. The Japanese and Europeans do . . any wonder that the US has an "acceptance problem" (until the US makers catch up some).

The big PR firms play it both ways, and no public statements or releases are ever left to chance.

Saddam Hussein is a valued ally of the US (1983)
Saddam Hussein is the anti-christ (2003)

Etc.

We'll probably get them someday. The 400HP/1200-lb engine stupidity has to stop at some point.

Is there a point to this post, and is it directed at me?

GM's abortive 80s 5.7L diesel a big part of public rejection of diesels-- but not all of it.

Even recently, diesels can smoke and give the impression of being dirtier than other engines/fuels.

Here is Lutz talking about why diesels (in his opinion) aren't likely for the NA auto market.
Old 11-08-2011 | 10:28 PM

i dont think these engines are going to come any time soon