General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

5.0L V8 CUMMINS is a possible GO!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010 | 09:28 PM

I don know guys... a V8 cummins? It makes me a little nervous. I think they should just stick with the l6. A V8 if not done right could cause big problems. I look at ford and chevy wit their double breasted yamahas and the problems they have and the short life of some of those engines. I would be ver hesitant to buy one. But id probally have to get one just to try it. Maybe get it for my girl and see... anyone else thinking like me?
Old 07-29-2010 | 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DNAT
They only were made in 2005 and 2006 -- Jeep was testing the waters. Although nothing like the GM 5.7 fiasco, the terrific VM Motori 2.8L in-line 4 was mated to a 545RFE and the torque convertor quality (plastic stator) and shift programming wasn't particularly well done. Both years don't get the rated city mileage due to the loose TC and delayed TC lock-up, but on the highway, I'll get 29-31mpg at around 70.
What is the lifespan of one of these engines? Transmission? I was always fascinated by them and then they were gone.
Old 08-11-2010 | 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by petrecca8
I don know guys... a V8 cummins? It makes me a little nervous. I think they should just stick with the l6. A V8 if not done right could cause big problems. I look at ford and chevy wit their double breasted yamahas and the problems they have and the short life of some of those engines. I would be ver hesitant to buy one. But id probally have to get one just to try it. Maybe get it for my girl and see... anyone else thinking like me?
Nothing inherently wrong with an V8. Any engine "done wrong" will be problematic.

There are plenty of V8s on the market that last a LONG time because they are well done. I6 engines have their own design challenges: exhaust manifolds that don't crack or leak, intake manifolds that have balanced flow, heads that have balanced coolant flow, etc.

Unfortunately, they don't happen to be Diesels from GM or Ford.

Initially, the new 6.7L PSD seems very impressive. I'd love to try one out.

It all boils down to packaging, and a pickup application packages a V8 much better than an I6.
Old 08-11-2010 | 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN

It all boils down to packaging, and a pickup application packages a V8 much better than an I6.
Technically speaking right??? Because I havent seen a diesel v8 fit better in a pickup than a good ol I6.
Old 08-11-2010 | 07:29 PM

I'm with rip. I wouldn't even think about working on a chev or ford. I just put a turbo and studs in and it only took me 8 hrs total being a first timer doing it, try that with either of the other two.
Old 08-12-2010 | 08:32 AM

whoopie 8 injectors to replace instead of 6.............there another grand
Old 08-12-2010 | 01:48 PM

Its to much stress on the rods with the angles of a V8 ya know wat I mean. I've never worked on powerstroke but I've worked on duramax and its a pain in the *** to do simple things. All the crap you got to remove just to get down to the injectors. There won't be the same reliability and life span on those engines. It would be fun to drive and just to have but depending on how much it costs, and it won't be cheap, is it really worth the money is wat people need to decide
Old 08-12-2010 | 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by yellowhemi
What is the lifespan of one of these engines? Transmission? I was always fascinated by them and then they were gone.
Got to reading around on a Lib site. Had the impression that the vehicle started to have too many problems at around 170k or so. Reliability. The motor is fine (except for overheating, not a motor problem).
Old 08-12-2010 | 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Technically speaking right??? Because I havent seen a diesel v8 fit better in a pickup than a good ol I6.
the 5.0L V8 will be a much smaller package than the 6.6L Duramax or the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7L Powerstroke...
Old 08-12-2010 | 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
the 5.0L V8 will be a much smaller package than the 6.6L Duramax or the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7L Powerstroke...
But when you are adding additional emissions equipment, and the new design trend of covering the whole motor with plastic, I'm still seeing this being a cramped compartment, especially with a v block configuration. JMO.
Old 08-13-2010 | 05:34 PM

As would I, i mean sure everyone knocks the V configuations but they use to make a lot of them. even locomotives have v engines. I think for normal use it would be great.
Old 08-14-2010 | 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by petrecca8
Its to much stress on the rods with the angles of a V8 ya know wat I mean. I've never worked on powerstroke but I've worked on duramax and its a pain in the *** to do simple things. All the crap you got to remove just to get down to the injectors. There won't be the same reliability and life span on those engines. It would be fun to drive and just to have but depending on how much it costs, and it won't be cheap, is it really worth the money is wat people need to decide
Please explain this. Engine config has nothing to do with rod stress as far as I can tell. Angle doesn't matter, as far as I can tell. Please explain how it would.

jh
Old 08-14-2010 | 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz

Light Duty Diesel was design to essentially be able to replace a Hemi in any given application. So it would package about the same as a Hemi.

JH
Old 08-14-2010 | 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
That "accessibility" that you like about the I6 is wasted space to the vehicle engineer. The vehicle could be made lighter, shorter, cheaper, more compact, etc if that wasted space wasn't there.

So packaging well is defined quite differently depending on whether you are maker or buyer of said vehicle.
Old 08-15-2010 | 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Light Duty Diesel was design to essentially be able to replace a Hemi in any given application. So it would package about the same as a Hemi.

JH
Yeah, I know... I've followed the DOE updates on the 4.2L and 5.6L engines and they were always "billed" as direct replacements for current MOPAR engines...

I have a 2006 1500 Mega Cab 4x4, the Hemi fits about like a dime does in a soda can... I mean, they put an 8.0L V10 under the hood of these things, I'm not too concerned that a 5.0L engine would be a tight fit...

I remember you posting once that you actually saw a truck with one of the LD diesels in it during your travels at Cummins, have you run into anymore since then?

Quick Reply: 5.0L V8 CUMMINS is a possible GO!!!!!