General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

3rd gen to 2ng gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen to 2ng gen?

Has anyone gone from a 3rd gen to a 2nd gen? I have found a absolutely mint 2nd gen with 30,000 miles on it. Its a six speed as well. I have owned several 2nd gens before and for some reason want another as well as a manual transmission. I'm a little weary of getting this truck due to the lack of nv replacement parts. I know I would take a huge hit on my 05 to get rid of it. but for some reason this truck is calling my name... Am I just nuts???
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 PM

NUTS- - - - - - -Stay with the 3rd Gen and forget about the NV5600 and the VP failures!

I was in the same boat that you are and I think that I made the right descision! Now if you can get it for 15K that would be a great deal!!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
NUTS- - - - - - -Stay with the 3rd Gen and forget about the NV5600 and the VP failures!

I was in the same boat that you are and I think that I made the right descision! Now if you can get it for 15K that would be a great deal!!
And stay with your leaky CP3's, cracking injectors and plastic intercoolers.

HA HA HA HA Just kidding I would definately drive a 3rd gen just because of the full 4 door.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:05 PM

well theres lots of guys on here with 6 or 700hp that run an nv5600. The vp44 injection pump is a turd and so is the carter lift pump. You get a gdp fuel sys. and hot rod pump that trk would be worth having then. I have a buddy with a bone stock 01, it has had 1 new injection pump that was 1300. 1 new carter lift pump that was 170 I think and 1 fass pump go out. So I would say you are money ahead to keep your 3rd gen. Lower payments would be nice though. A couple thousand in pumps would pay a couple newer payments for me.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 PM

Id say if you are wanting a 2nd gen go for it. Cuz the longer you wait, the good ones are gonna be harder and harder to find. They are just gonna get more and more miles on them. Get one, drive it for a while, get that out of your system and then later you can always go back to a 3rd gen. Im stickin with 2nd gens though because I like them best out of all of em. To me a 3rd gen's exhaust sounds like total crap. To me, the way my trucks sounds is a big deal. IMHO, you can't have a better sounding truck than a 2nd gen 24v. Just my $ .02.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM

I agree with that the new ones sound pretty strange with no muffler and little pipe, pretty raspy. I put 5" on my 06 to get it a little deeper sounding . It wont get real loud until you put it on larry then he gets crazy. The nice 2nd gen trucks that are nice are hard to find. My dad bought an 01 with 36k acutal miles on it. It is a very nice truck. I dont like the way the stock auto tranny shifts. its in overdrive by 40 I think lol. They are good lookin trucks though. If its a cummins its worth having no matter what year it is.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I am a real second gen fanatic. I always wanted one since they came out. When I got my 01 it was a real turd. Mechanically it was terrible I mean. It was an x-plow/construction truck. Lost the transfer case, auto tranny blew up on me twice. What Im trying to say is I bought my new truck to replace it when I feel now I should have got a clean 2nd gen. I just looked @ an 02 with 30,400 miles. this truck had less rust on the under carraige than my 05 does with 24k miles. It was well taken care of. I'm seriusly considering it but the NV5600 freaks me out with scarce replacement parts if she ever goes out....
Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 PM

I hear the G56 in the new trucks are real junk. I had a nv5600 in my 05 and it held about 500 hp to the wheels. I would take a 6spd over a 5spd any day in a 2nd gen truck. It sounds like a nice one. Just put some small injectors in it and drive it. It sould like a nice truck. I would love to have my dads 01 sport its real clean. I cant afford both. Its your money sell your truck and get it.
are you gonna keep your stacks in it? lol
Old 02-02-2007, 11:33 PM

ya im going to leave the stacks on it if I get rid of it. There would be a big hole in the bed if I took them out...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

I have driven and towed with both. 99' 2nd Gen is my father's and my 06'. I will DEFINITELY give sound the thumbs up for his truck...his sounds LOADS better than mine, I think. However, and this is a BIG however, stock to stock, minus exhaust and intake, I will pull the doors off his truck. 10k load, and I will walk away from him all day every day. Also, apparently only SOME of these truck have plastic intercoolers, because my 06' came from the factory with aluminum. Just my $.02

Derek
Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 AM

Interesting this question comes up...

I did just this very thing. I bought a brand new 2005 back when they first came out. Probably the best vehicle I've ever owned. But I hated the sound and I hated how expensive it was to do anything to it.

So I traded it in for the 2001 listed in my sig (minus a lot of the mods that I did myself). I took a big hit in the wallet, but at the time it was worth it. When I bought this thing it was obvious the owner took great care of it. I had never seen a cleaner used vehicle. This was back in March of 2006.

Long story short... I just traded the 2001 in for a 2007. I had an ECM go out and an APPS go out within the last month. Roughly $2000. The VP44 was on its last leg. $1500. And I had major front end problems that would have cost me about $1200 to fix. So I decided that rather than dump all this money into this old truck that I could put it towards a new truck.

In my opinion the 3rd Gen quality is leaps and bounds over second gen. I do miss that sweet sound, though..
Old 02-04-2007, 10:49 PM

I was hoping someone who has done this would chime in. I think i'll stay with what i've got. I have been debating long and hard the last few days if I should swap trucks or not. Its not worth it... Thanks all for your input.

Jake
Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NHdodgeman
I was hoping someone who has done this would chime in. I think i'll stay with what i've got. I have been debating long and hard the last few days if I should swap trucks or not. Its not worth it... Thanks all for your input.

Jake
I'm sorry that I wasn't a little more specific in my answer...I have driven and hauled with both and would rather have my 06' than the 99'. I actually have MORE experience with the 99' as I have only towed with my truck a few times, but it was just a MUCH better experience. Better braking, much more powerful, more comfortable, better options, etc...I LOVE my dad's 2nd Gen, don't get me wrong, but even if our trucks had equal mileage, I wouldn't trade him. Just my opinion.

Derek
Old 02-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by derek.mckay
I'm sorry that I wasn't a little more specific in my answer...I have driven and hauled with both and would rather have my 06' than the 99'. I actually have MORE experience with the 99' as I have only towed with my truck a few times, but it was just a MUCH better experience. Better braking, much more powerful, more comfortable, better options, etc...I LOVE my dad's 2nd Gen, don't get me wrong, but even if our trucks had equal mileage, I wouldn't trade him. Just my opinion.

Derek
Thats basically what I got from your first post on the subject. Comparing our trucks to 2nd gens is kinda like apples to oranges, they're not exactly the same. I wasnt trying to say you didnt have any experiance at all on the subject by any means. I should have quoted Doomgazes post in my last response. I meant I was hoping someone who has actually traded a 3rd gen for a 2nd gen would chime in. I think your right, overall we do have a better truck.

Jake
Old 02-04-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why don't you talk your wife into buying one for herself?... Could be a winner!
-P

Quick Reply: 3rd gen to 2ng gen?