General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

2001 CTD 5spd with Edge Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CTD 5spd with Edge Box

Well, looking at another one. This truck is a 2001 4wd CTD, 5 speed with an edgebox. The truck has 49,000 miles on it and doesn't appear to be abused. He said it has an Edge Box on it and he had to install a heavy duty clutch because if he turned it up too much it would make the clutch slip. I am not familiar with an Edge Box, so first of all what is it? Does the stock slipping clutch sound normal and is there anything to be cautious of or concerned about on a truck with an edge box installed? I will be using this truck for a daily driver/puller so I like the 5sp part and the low miles (Provided they are real). I have driven past the truck and it looks good and will probably go drive it tomorrow. Also, does the Edge Box help or hurt the injector pumps on these trucks? I will be installing a pusher pump on the truck or a FASS system if he hasn't already added it, the truck does have a full set of gauges including boost, water and fuel pressure.

Any help and guidance will be appreciated, kind of new to the Diesel world and I dont want to get burned.

Shannon
Old 10-08-2005, 12:29 AM

Shannon, My guess it's an edge comp. I think with a comp, on the higher settings you could over power your clutch and cause damage. I'd check it over real good. If the comp has the wire tapped to the vp44 ( which it should to run on the higher settings ) that alone will void your warrenty!!! I use and Edge EZ, no wire tapping involved. Hopefully others will chime in who have comps and can give you more info. Sorry, Edge box or any other performace changes the timing and fueling paramiters of the engine, which in turn really wakes the truck up!!! But there are some draw backs 98.5 to 02 trucks can have problems with the Lift pumps and Vp44's. My Lp went out at 39,000 miles But it was fixed under warrenty, I had to remove my Edge Ez before I took it in!! Some say tapping the wire to the vp44 will cause it to go out sooner others will disagree. I think if you have a vp44 that isn't up to snuff it's going to go out at some point. It's the risk you take buying 98.5 to 02 24v ctd's. Search the first and sec. gen's perfomance section and you"ll get lots of info that year truck and performance items. P.S. When my warrenty is over I'll install pusher pump Vulcan fuel line kit. If the Vp44 goes I'll get after market whick should be better. Also that truck should have a Pyrometer on it so you can keep watch of the exhaust gas temperatures

Good luck
Gary

Last edited by MadDog01; 10-08-2005 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Pyrometer
Old 10-08-2005, 12:39 AM

Shannon, thought of something else. Make sure it doesn't have a 53 stamp on the block!!! they have problems with some of those blocks, they crack!! Look under driver side engine block just above oil pan near big loom of wiring and make sure there isn't a big 53 stamped on it. If there is, I wouldn't touch it!!

Gary
Old 10-08-2005, 02:49 AM

just got rid of my 2000 with a the edge Comp. The Edge is awesome and yes the stock clutch in mine wouldnt hold the motor with the box on 4 or 5. Had the Edge for about 40k never once a problem. The transfer pump did go out BEFORE I put the edge on, but worked fine even after the EDGE. I have to say I ran that poor truck pretty hard quite often. Dang Rice burners just wouldnt learn. Oh how they hate that black Cloud!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:27 AM

Talking

Thanks for all of the information guys, I am going to look at it today. I was aware of the 53 Blocks and looked at a nice '99 the other day but it had the 53 block in it and the truck had been used for pulling quite a bit so I steered clear of that one. Is the code for a dead lift pump 0216? I was going to do the key cycle thing and check that, the truck does have a full set of gauges so that should tell me something.

Thanks again, I am sure I will be asking more questions in the future.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:20 PM

0216 I believe it is for VP44 not a good code to get.

Gary
Old 10-09-2005, 06:20 PM

Drove the 2500 Today, Opinions?

I drove the 2500 today, really nice truck, drove good, no rattles or squeaks, ran good and strong. It has a Pyrometer gauge and a Boost gauge and the Edge Box says Power Edge on the side, I drove it with the box on 0,1,2,3,4,5 and could notice a big difference on at every step. The Pyrometer gauge read about 2-3 at idle, 4-5 at light throttle and 6-8 at a decent throttle/load, the boost gauge read anywhere from 10-30 depending on what I was doing, maybe a little higher and lower at times. 4 wheel drive worked nice and felt strong. Ran the code thing and after three clicks of the key I got P ECU, the it came up with 3 dashes (---) and it was followed by P DONE. I assume this means it hasn't thrown a code but not 100% sure, anyone have a different opinion? The truck is clean all around and under the hood, the block casting is 55 is that a good block? The only thing I noticed when crawling under the truck was oil on the oil pan, both on the front of the oil pan just past the Sludge collector and towards the back of the oil pan, is this something to be concerned about? I didn't notice any oil leaks anywhere under the truck and not a bunch of grass or mud from being off roaded. The was also some grease or oil sludge on the transmission casing, appeard to be the same as the stuff on the oil pan. Truck drove nice didn't weave or have any play like some of the 4X4's I have driven. I think I can get the truck for a good price, anything I should be concerned with from this lengthy discription?

Thanks.

Shannon

Could someone CARFAX this for me? The ID number is:
1B7KF23621J611646
Old 10-09-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a good truck....left you some info over at the other site.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Sounds like a good truck....left you some info over at the other site.
I saw that, Thanks for the information. I usually dont post the same thing on two sites but I may pull the trigger tomorrow and was wanting some feedback. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 AM

How was the fuel pressure?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Saxet Nomad
How was the fuel pressure?
It didn't have a fuel pressure gauge on it, if I decide to buy the truck I will have it checked before I purchase it. I will either take a gauge over there and hook it up or have a friend check it at his garage.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 65pacecar
It didn't have a fuel pressure gauge on it, if I decide to buy the truck I will have it checked before I purchase it. I will either take a gauge over there and hook it up or have a friend check it at his garage.
Would be good to know if the pressure was down and the VP goes out later on...might keep a few extra $$$ around just in case you need to replace it...I ran my comp box for about a month before I got my FP guage...I hooked the guage up at the same time I did my Banjo's...when I cranked her up I got a few spikes on the guage and then nothing...not sure when exactly the LP died...but my VP is still holding up (knock on wood )
Old 10-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Saxet Nomad
Would be good to know if the pressure was down and the VP goes out later on...might keep a few extra $$$ around just in case you need to replace it...I ran my comp box for about a month before I got my FP guage...I hooked the guage up at the same time I did my Banjo's...when I cranked her up I got a few spikes on the guage and then nothing...not sure when exactly the LP died...but my VP is still holding up (knock on wood )
The VP is one of my main concerns with these trucks. Also, I noticed that there is Oil on the bottom of the oil pan towards the back of the engine and on the transmission case. I have heard that the HO Cummins in 2001 had a problem with the rear seal, is that a common problem with these trucks or is it the blow back from the sludge collector up front? There is a decent amount of oil on the bottom of the pan, enough to coat the tip of your finger if you run it across the oil pan.
Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:00 PM

The VP is one of my main concerns with these trucks. Also, I noticed that there is Oil on the bottom of the oil pan towards the back of the engine and on the transmission case. I have heard that the HO Cummins in 2001 had a problem with the rear seal, is that a common problem with these trucks or is it the blow back from the sludge collector up front? There is a decent amount of oil on the bottom of the pan, enough to coat the tip of your finger if you run it across the oil pan.
Thanks.
Mine was the same way...I went through and tightened all the pan bolts again and removed the puke bottle, haven't had a problem since...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 AM

I drove the 2500 today, really nice truck, drove good, no rattles or squeaks, ran good and strong. It has a Pyrometer gauge and a Boost gauge and the Edge Box says Power Edge on the side, I drove it with the box on 0,1,2,3,4,5 and could notice a big difference on at every step. The Pyrometer gauge read about 2-3 at idle, 4-5 at light throttle and 6-8 at a decent throttle/load, the boost gauge read anywhere from 10-30 depending on what I was doing, maybe a little higher and lower at times. 4 wheel drive worked nice and felt strong. Ran the code thing and after three clicks of the key I got P ECU, the it came up with 3 dashes (---) and it was followed by P DONE. I assume this means it hasn't thrown a code but not 100% sure, anyone have a different opinion? The truck is clean all around and under the hood, the block casting is 55 is that a good block? The only thing I noticed when crawling under the truck was oil on the oil pan, both on the front of the oil pan just past the Sludge collector and towards the back of the oil pan, is this something to be concerned about? I didn't notice any oil leaks anywhere under the truck and not a bunch of grass or mud from being off roaded. The was also some grease or oil sludge on the transmission casing, appeard to be the same as the stuff on the oil pan. Truck drove nice didn't weave or have any play like some of the 4X4's I have driven. I think I can get the truck for a good price, anything I should be concerned with from this lengthy discription?

Thanks.

Shannon

Could someone CARFAX this for me? The ID number is:

1B7KF23621J611646

Oil underneath from the breather back is normal for a diesel without pvc system. There will be more since the truck has the edge comp, the boost will go some where!