General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

12V or 24V 2nd gen in the near future....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12V or 24V 2nd gen in the near future....

Hey yall,

new here to the forums, and not having much experience with the cummins before, the threads have been really helpful. Id say 6-9 months down the road I am going to trade in my 1500 and want to find a decent 2500, preferrably 95-01. Ive learned a few differences so far between buying the 12V vs. the 2nd gen 24V, but am still undecided. High mileage isnt a big concern, Im just looking for a strong running 2500 I can put some good miles on. Glad to have found the forums great stuff in here!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They're all good, I guess it's just a matter of what you like and, in some places, what you can find. Obviously, the later the model, the more money you can expect to spend. Tons of power can be had from either, however with the 12V you'll need to do some wrench turning. Remember, though, that the 24V are computer controlled and thus have more to go wrong. I have heard that some guys prefer the 12V simply because they don't have as much of a rattle to them. In terms of mileage, to my knowledge they are pretty comparable. One other thing is who all is going to be driving the truck. If you want alot of power keep in mind that with a 12V you'll have that power all the time including if you let somebody else drive it and you may not be comfortable with them driving around with 1000 lb/ft of torque. On a 24V you could tune the truck down with a valet setting which limits power and top speed with most manufacturers. On another note look at what features are most important to you. Although there are exceptions, 24V are quad cabs and 12V are club cabs so that may be a factor. Also the NV5600 6-speed came out with the 24V. If I was in the market for a new truck I'd buy a 12V again just because I like the idea of a mechanical injection engine without the computer control.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnny5.9
They're all good, I guess it's just a matter of what you like and, in some places, what you can find. Obviously, the later the model, the more money you can expect to spend. Tons of power can be had from either, however with the 12V you'll need to do some wrench turning. Remember, though, that the 24V are computer controlled and thus have more to go wrong. I have heard that some guys prefer the 12V simply because they don't have as much of a rattle to them. In terms of mileage, to my knowledge they are pretty comparable. One other thing is who all is going to be driving the truck. If you want alot of power keep in mind that with a 12V you'll have that power all the time including if you let somebody else drive it and you may not be comfortable with them driving around with 1000 lb/ft of torque. On a 24V you could tune the truck down with a valet setting which limits power and top speed with most manufacturers. On another note look at what features are most important to you. Although there are exceptions, 24V are quad cabs and 12V are club cabs so that may be a factor. Also the NV5600 6-speed came out with the 24V. If I was in the market for a new truck I'd buy a 12V again just because I like the idea of a mechanical injection engine without the computer control.

couldnt have said this any better myself

But my sig is biased on here..

Rick
Old 10-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Go with the 12 valve, then if you ever need to turn it down for someone else or for yourself install a Valey switch
Old 10-20-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by johnny5.9
Not true on no valet for a 12V look here

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ight=valet+12V
Old 10-20-2006, 05:24 PM

just go thru asking the same thing..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=117813
Old 10-20-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
cool I didn't know you could put one on a 12V. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by megajoltman
Not true on no valet for a 12V look here

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ight=valet+12V
If you have a 94-96 with the rubber line

you can go ahead and pull that line taht goes to the wastegate, let it dangle, and the truck will run on pretty much on injectors and delivery valves only, on my truck, it runs like a stocker with that line pulled...

Blocked however, is just the inverse (sorta)

Rick
Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 PM

just my 2 cents, i had a 02 and loved it. only sold it because i needed more room 4 the kids. that truck rocked with 100 horse injectors, and never gave me a lick of problems.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 AM

One suggestion: Check on the number one dealer in the national for new or used vehicles. People have traveled clear from Florida and save thousands! Dick Smith's auto in Kellogg, Idaho. This dealership is famous for the low prices. He sold over 120,000 vehicles a year or so ago and mostly through the internet. You can get a written quote in a day or so to compare against other dealers. Most dealers hate him because they can’t or will not touch his prices.

http://www.usautosales.com/

Chuck