General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

[B]More power for John Deere Skid Loader Turbo Diesel[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[B]More power for John Deere Skid Loader Turbo Diesel[/B]

How do I get more power out of my 99 john deere 260 TD skid loader? It has a 2.9 powertech turbo diesel with a stanadyne pump. It is bogging down when pushing dirt etc. What can I do? JD dealer said to advance the timing on the pump. What about a BHAF? it has a very restrictive air box. What about a bigger turbo. Another JD dealer said trade it in on a new one. HA HA. Fat chance. Let me know what you think.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:50 PM

Leave the airbox alone unless you never get it dirty. It is designed for its dusty, working conditions. Have you made sure it is running correctly and has all maintence done?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:55 PM

I regularly maintain the machine: fuel, oil, hydro, and filters etc. It has 1300 hours on it. I can live with the power it has, it doesn't seem to have any less power than when i got it, I just like MORE POWER, like my truck.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
hydrostatic driven machines are generally engineered as a system. X hp to drive the pumps etc. giving more power to the pump system, is proven in my experience to lead to early failure of components further down the line. Not just the pumps, but the drive motors as well as broken axles, excessive chain and sprocket wear, and so on.
I am not saying it hasn't been tried, I am saying that if you want the maximum service life out of your machine, with the lowest possible repair costs, leave the power output alone on this one, and go trade it off on a higher output machine. It's easier, and there is usually a lot less cursing involved in the long run.

happy skidding
Old 06-26-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by pind
hydrostatic driven machines are generally engineered as a system. X hp to drive the pumps etc. giving more power to the pump system, is proven in my experience to lead to early failure of components further down the line. Not just the pumps, but the drive motors as well as broken axles, excessive chain and sprocket wear, and so on.
I am not saying it hasn't been tried, I am saying that if you want the maximum service life out of your machine, with the lowest possible repair costs, leave the power output alone on this one, and go trade it off on a higher output machine. It's easier, and there is usually a lot less cursing involved in the long run.

happy skidding

Dito!!!!! This is why I went with a 280 BobCat! I looked at the JohnDeere and I liked it but with less HP/TQ and 350lbs heavier dry, I knew that I would be in the same situation that you are in. If you are bogging down and not spinning then you are low on power. OR over working the machine. I have tried to pull up/push/pull some trees that were waaaaayyyy to much for mine and I knew it. Keep it within it's range and they are workhorses all day long and then some.

And DO NOT DO ANYTHING besides the recommended maintenance on the Deere. Like stated above these things are designed with there power in mind on all of the pumps, motors, etc!! Things will get toasted within a couple of heavy sessions that will take the equipment out of commision quickly. I would rather have an underpowered machine that will get the job done, than a dead in the water machine that is costing me money and not making any at the same time!!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 AM

Sounds good

I guess I'll leave my machine alone. One thing that was mentioned in a reply that reminded me of my tires. they are spinning a lot, which leads me to believe that I need new tires. Thanks again.