Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Full Pillar - ProPod or Autometer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full Pillar - ProPod or Autometer?

I need to stop procastinating, and start installing gauges.

Has anybody been able to compare the 3 gauge pillars from both ProPod (like at WildCat Diesel) and Autometer? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the only manufacturers who make a 3 gauge pillar for the 2nd gen Dodge? My plan is to remove the existing pillar cover entirely, and mount the 3 gauge pillar in it's place.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm really not interested in hearing about how neat your Rod Pod setup is, or how you just have them bolted to the dash with 1/2" diamater lag screws, or how you have them mounted to the hood of your truck. Remember when you were shopping for your Dodge, and somebody suggested you look into a Chevy or Ford? They told you how their's just works great for them. Remember how that made you feel?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Administrator

When I ordered my Isspro guage set from Wildcat, I'm pretty sure it included an Autometer 3 guage pillar mount .

Quite happy with it 6 months later.

Have they switched to Pro-pod?

phox
Old 11-01-2004, 09:43 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone now if WildCat's 3 gauge pillar mount has the option of having a tweeter mount?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by I PASS GAS
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone now if WildCat's 3 gauge pillar mount has the option of having a tweeter mount?
The one I got does.

phox
Old 11-02-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
When I ordered my Isspro guage set from Wildcat, I'm pretty sure it included an Autometer 3 guage pillar mount .

Quite happy with it 6 months later.

Have they switched to Pro-pod?

phox
It appears they may have. Wildcat Gauge Page

I guess I'll have to give them a call today.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd go with Pro-pod..
Old 11-02-2004, 02:43 PM

I was leaning that way HOHN, but do you have any specific reasons?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:59 PM

I think the material is a little tougher and better quality. They both fit just fine, the pro-pods seems a little beefier than the autometer.

Really, it's splitting hairs as they are both just fine.

I've lost a little love for Autometer with my ultra-light gauges and the poor lighting design.

Justin
Old 11-02-2004, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Administrator

It could be that Pro Pod doesn't make a 3 guage pillar with the tweeter, but Autometer does?

phox
Old 11-02-2004, 09:43 PM

It would appear that ProPod and Auto Meter both offer a pillar for the trucks with the factory tweeters.

Even though I don't have to worry about a tweeter installation, I'm still undecided.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning,

The Auto Meter mount made by Gauge Works does offer both tweeter and no tweeter in 2 and 3 gauge mounts for the A pillar. Auto Meters mount is made from a material by Revotech, it's flame tested will not warp and has a tensile strenth way above what other pillars have. Gauge Works is a factory supplier to Ford, Dodge and GM on various parts and therefore has an extremely high quality. We ONLY use Auto Meter Gauge Works mounts as they have consistent fit and look excellent. In the past we have used others and had a number of issues as to quality, very different trim outs when 2 or 3 of the same part are removed from the box etc ( ie they aren't the same every time). The Auto Meter is usually 3-5.00 more dollars but worth it to me, I don't want to install gauges and then have to wish I had a different mount later due to fit issues etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 11-03-2004, 11:48 AM

I hereby recant my support of the Pro Pods and concede the election to AutoMeter
Old 11-03-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the 2nd gen but I ordered a Pro Pod for my 04.The texture on it did not match that good to me and the bottom guage would of been touching the dash and I did not like that.I sent it back and got the Auto Meter and the texture on it does match the original a lot better and the bottom guage has a clearance between the dash.My vote goes for the Auto Meter.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:27 AM

Well, it's still a tough call, but it sounds like DPPI has actually handled both, so I'll probably go the way of the Auto Meter. If I were to use the ProPod, I'd order from Wildcat Diesel, since they sell the ISSPRO EV guages I want to use. If I decide on an Auto Meter pillar mount, what company also sells my desired guages at a competitive price?

Quick Reply: Full Pillar - ProPod or Autometer?