Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

WVO and trans fat

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO and trans fat

hello,

know nothing about running alternative fuels but there is much to do about NYC banning food with trans fat oils. heard on the news that los angeles will do the same and all in the interest of health.

don't care about the health issue but wondering if this new oil will affect the way trucks run on WVO.

at some point in the future my truck will be converted but not for a number of years. just wondering.

thanks
david
socal
Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 AM

just off the top of my head, I thought trans fats were related to hydrogenated oils... and hydrogenated oils were bad for bio...

it made the cold weather performance worse...

plus your engine mysteriously gained weight...
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 AM

Lets get to the bottom of this. If hydrogenated oils are bad for bio, then I have to find a new supplier!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have heard they will be forced now into using pure oils such as corn and peanut which are far easier to run in a WVO set up or as a mix. Don't quote me though. I think it may be a good thing.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Txwelder
Lets get to the bottom of this. If hydrogenated oils are bad for bio, then I have to find a new supplier!
I think being in Georgia, the higher temp is a non-issue... you could probably use palm oil (the tropical oils have very high cetane)

here in Colorado, winter performance is better if you avoid hydrogenated oils..

check here: http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html

look for "Oils and esters characteristics" for information on different oils...
then here's what I was looking for:
"Hydrogenated oil, shortening, margarine

When oils are hydrogenated hydrogen atoms are added to the carbon-to-carbon double bonds in unsaturated fatty acids, which then become saturated. This results in higher melting points. Fully hydrogenated oil is solid at room temperature, partly hydrogenated oils range from liquid to creamy to solid.
So biodiesel made from hydrogenated oil is less likely to oxidise and polymerise but will have a higher melting point than if it were made from unhydrogenated oil of the same kind. It increases the risk of filters plugging in cold weather or even just cool weather and is best used as summer fuel."

so it's actually better, if you can take the higher melting point...