Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

WVO Risks

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO Risks

I have a frybrid kit that I almost have finished and have a question or two:

Kit installation requires that the sequence of stock diesel fuel system components be rearranged. It requires that the lift pump be directly upstream of the injection pump so that you can switch between diesel and wvo using the same pump. My concern is that in the stock configuration, the filter is directly before the injection pump, and if for any reason the lift pump trashes out, produces wear metals, etc., the fuel filter will catch the contaminants.......protecting the injection pump.

Should I be concerned about this or is it really not an issue of possibly damaging the injection pump with the lift pump directly upstream?

Should I add an additional fuel filter between the lift pump and injection pump? If so, anybody got any ideas? Since the wvo and diesel will both be filtered before the lift pump, an additional fuel filter between the lift pump and injection pump should have an almost infinite life, or a very long life to say the least.

Your ideas and comments are greatly appreciated. I want to get this figured out before I finish this install.

Waylan
Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM

I'm looking at prossesing vegi oil , not just filtering , I do have that site[looks like a good product ] in my bookmarks becouse I've been doing a lot of research on making my own fuel , if I were to go that way I would have an extra pump [ becouse of the extra filter ] and filter from the tank .
Just one more oppinoin.

http://www.frybrid.com/test.htm
Frybrid vegetable oil conversions
Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My bet is the reason they recommend no filter after the pump is so the WVO can stay warm. I personally don't see a problem with leaving the stock system intact and teeing into the the two tanks just upstream from the lift pump.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:25 PM

I have a seperate LP and filter for the VO side and then you can enter before the IP
Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 PM

Two pumps are better

I have looked at how Frybrid sets up the pump system, it will work just fine. However, I am of the opinion that a "Two Pump" setup is better. Leave the stock pump for diesel, bypass its pressure back to the diesel tank when motoring on WVO. Use a second pump and heated filter for the WVO. Tee in at the IP.
ONE WARNING- NEVER EVER BURN COLD WVO!!!
My pennys worth.
Ken Gardner