Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Some WVO Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some WVO Questions

Ok, I know there is a lot of information but I haven't found what I'm looking for so I'm going to ask some questions.

First, I assume there are several people who have not converted their vehicles and are running wvo. I have tried it and I have a fuel issue that I have to resolve first. I am probably going to convert my vehicle to a two tank system with heaters so that it works well in the winter. I know a guy though who ran veggie oil all but about 2 months last winter. He did mix it when it got real cold. I was with him once when he put it in and it was gelled in the tank he was pulling from but his truck still ran great on it. I am not willing to quite be that adventurous. I'm going to be safe and pay more money up front. I will have two tanks and the injector lines by winter. I may try here in the summer without all of that, but certainly will have it all by winter.

So, with that said, I'm trying to figure out what all equipment I need and the best places to buy it.

Here are my thoughts and I would appreciate any feedback.

1. A place to store the veggie oil at the restaurant site - I have looked at par-kan.com. They have a good system but it is expensive. I know I have one restaurant willing to give me their grease and their only requirement was that I make sure their container is strong enough not to get knocked over.

2. A way to transport it and to store it at my house - I have looked some and really don't see anything I like. I'm guessing I will get a 250 gallon tank and "permanently" mount it to a trailer. Then, I will have another tank at my house for overflow. Looking at probably keeping the tank on the trailer full and only using the overflow for just that.

3. a pump. I want to use a 12 volt pump for my 12 valve engine. Seriously, I do want 12 volt pump so that I can simply plug into my battery on the truck. I also want to be able to take this with me and get veggie oil on trips.

4. A filter. I want a good filter. I'm leaning toward two different filters. Using one when I'm taking it out of the restaurant tank and another finer one when I'm taking from my bulk tank to my fuel tank. What micron should I use, ect?

Finally, has anyone made their own stuff or at least pieced it together? I really don't want to buy the kits. They seem so expensive. I think I can piece it all together for quite a bit cheaper. Any ideas at all would be appreciated. I'm not sure I've said all I wanted to say in this post but I'll let it go. If you have any questions, ideas, thoughts, bring 'em on.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Well I live in WA and didn't have a problem as far down as 19*F
I would not recommend storing quanities of this stuff for long periods of time as it may become rancid and without some type of agitation will have more bacterial growth than reg dino diesel. The best and easiest way I have found to pick the oil up from your suppliers is to either have them poor it right back into the 5 gallon containers it came in or poor it into 5 gallon buckets that they get pickles,or mayo in etc. If they insist on having a barrel, there are man places to aquire these. I used a 55gal calcium drum for some time and have now switched to a 55 gal steel drum from a local fruit juice processor. EIther of these can be had at next to nothing or even free. If you want a 55gal calcium drum and are willing to pay the shipping let me know and I will get you one for nothing and ship it to you.

here is a link that you can get everything you need for storage of smaller amounts and processing barrels.

Barrels

Also make sure that the oil to are getting is not hydrogenated or shortening based.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I will let you know if I need a barrell.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:05 PM

Any time.
Also if you'd like; let me know and I can fire off some pics of my operation. I only spent aboput $200 dollars on the whole thing and it works great. It is not the fastest (takes about 18 minutes to pump 10 gallons) but it works.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
Any time.
Also if you'd like; let me know and I can fire off some pics of my operation. I only spent aboput $200 dollars on the whole thing and it works great. It is not the fastest (takes about 18 minutes to pump 10 gallons) but it works.
some pics would be awesome. My email is sgardner@amfam.com. Also, would you mind listing all of the components you have and where you received them from? Obviously, you talked about the tanks but what about filters and the pump?

Thanks,

12VSuburban
Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 AM

I'll PM you
Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Wink

Here's a great forum to find the answers to all your questions:
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/

Note that the owner/administrator IMHO, has vast knowledge in the field and is very generous with information and help. He is also extemely busy, but you can search topics and receive help from other members just as you can here.

Burning unheated WVO is not a good idea. Even when mixed (Anything over 15%), engine damage can result. Less than 15% isn't really worth the trouble. Collection is just the first step, filtration and de-watering HAVE to be done BEFORE pumping it into your vehicle tank (don't ask how I know). The idea of collecting while on a trip is really not practical, as you need time to heat, settle, and filter the oil. Do a search for "filter on the fly". The added apparatus (including a 3rd tank) would likely take up too much room. You can get around this by either carrying extra oil with you (even pulling a trailer for it, or if you have extra room in your camper/toy hauler), or by making connections along your route with fellow "greasers" willing to share. See the "connections" section.

I can go into great detail about what I have done so far (the good and bad), my setup, and required equipment. PM me, if you want.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from experience what i have found is 12 volt pumps don't work too great. I guess if you pony up the bucks you can. If you want to move it quick go buy a gas water pump for 200 somewhere and mount it to your trailer for moving grease. Thats what I'm in the process of making now. I'm filling a 55 gal drum in less than 2 minutes taking my time.